my 68 Starcraft Holiday project

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral
Re: my 68 Starcraft Holiday project

Thanks Wes Mason..Although I think tremendous is a stretch, I think she looks a LOT better tho..

Yesterday I unhooked the fuel line from the tank and had it in a remote can to feed..Still no start..
Unhooked the line from the pump to the carb..pointed it in a reasonably safe direction, turned it over and gee..no gas squirted...

New fuel pump will be 100 bucks..add that to list....Dont tell Don S, Bond-O or anyone else, but I will put on a 26.00 auto fuel pump (you heard me...) to eliminate the fuel to the carb issue..then once I know the carb is actually getting fuel...work on the carb....

Let me be clear..before she hits the water, I'll get the proper marine fuel pump...

Rickairmedic

Commander

Kev I know theres a differanc in the carb and some other parts but a mechanical fuel pump should be a mechanical fuel pump :D.

Rick

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Kev I know theres a differanc in the carb and some other parts but a mechanical fuel pump should be a mechanical fuel pump :D.

Rick

Well...thats what I thought so I went and edumacated meself..

Marine FP has a double diaphram so "in case" one ruptures..fuel is still sent on to the carb/crankcase through the backflow

Auto FP has single diaphram, it ruptures and fuel goes all into the bilge..allegedly

Rickairmedic

Commander

OK I will buy that somewhat other than the fact I have had to replace quite a few mechanical fuel pumps over the years ( 10 minute job on most fords ) :D . I have never ever had gas running all over the ground when a fuel pump went south ( it just plain quits pumping ) they are still a sealed unit . The last electric one I had to do was on the 2002 chebby express and that bastage was in the tank which just happened to have 30 gallons of gas in it ( I miss the good ole days ) :D.

Rick

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

I agree with ya bud....BUT...my luck....

Last fuel pump I changed was on a Y block, 312 Tbird motor! lol

Rickairmedic

Commander

Hey Kev just for fun since your replacing it anyways :D. Mount the old one in a vice and carefully cut it apart with the old Sawzall so we can see if theres actually a differance :D.

Rick

Rickairmedic

Commander

The way I see it once ya cut her up if there is in fact 2 diaphrams in there then go blow the Benjamin on the marine version if not run the $26.00 one and be happy you have $70.00 left for carb kits :D.

Rick

Andy in NY

Commander

The way I see it once ya cut her up if there is in fact 2 diaphrams in there then go blow the Benjamin on the marine version if not run the $26.00 one and be happy you have $70.00 left for carb kits :D.

Rick

im with rick, cant see why you would need to spend the extra money on a marine fuel pump... the worst that happens is it stops pumping!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Marine fuel pumps are designed to vent into the intake manifold in the event of failure. I have had one go south and just did the right thing and installed the correct pump.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Andy may be right...It may take me 81/2 years to finish this project!!

I put in a seat! yeah for me...BUT..I will redo this, it's not as solid as I like so I will use the wood boxes back when I was going to use a different set up..

PIC-0353.jpg

Every time I go out to do somethin..it pours rain...man it's frustrating.
Think I may have my fuel pump problem in check..if it stops raining for a few, I'll know for sure!

Huron Angler

Admiral

Sounds like ya do need a boat-tel there bud...we call 'em pole barns here in Michigan:D

Andy in NY

Commander

wow, 11 days without a post...

damn shame if you ask me.

Rickairmedic

Commander

Kev the seat does look good did it come white or did ya paint it I cant remember :D.

Rick

Huron Angler

Admiral

If you concentrate you can hear crickets in Kev's thread:D...where are ya bud?

I bet he splashed the tin can and has been out with his massive cooler full of beverages enjoying the Holiday.

Rickairmedic

Commander

LOL HA I wish Kev had splashed her already :D. JimC and Kev and I have been working out a wiring issue that has kept the old Holiday from firing recently . We think we got it figured out last night while chatting and hopefully we will have video today of the old girl running like a champ :D. By the way HA you need to get an MSN or Live messenger account and Join us for chat one night :D.

Rick

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

If you concentrate you can hear crickets in Kev's thread:D...where are ya bud?

I bet he splashed the tin can and has been out with his massive cooler full of beverages enjoying the Holiday.

Not crickets..Palmetto bugs

Status
Not open for further replies.