my 68 Starcraft Holiday project

Status
Not open for further replies.

wvmedic

Chief Petty Officer
Re: my 68 Starcraft Holiday project

Yeah man it was a bad ending to my day yesterday, and the 7 Y/O that was on the boat. It was her birthday, He** of a thing to have to remember for the rest of her life.

Jeff.

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey,

Looking good! The new wheel looks great. I think i'm at a stand still until i sell a 16' fiberglass i have.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Hey,

Looking good! The new wheel looks great. I think i'm at a stand still until i sell a 16' fiberglass i have.

Thanks..I got it here on iboats, something like 22 bucks? Crazy cheep!

Hope ya hurry up and move your glass boat bro!

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Last Sunday I put some more blue paint down on the deck..

CIMG0146.jpg

I also put the starboard side panel together to get it ready to go back in..
I am going to have to move my gas tank about a 1/2 inch closer to the port side so that there will be a bit more room for the panel..I built the jump seat box too wide (actually I think the doghouse is too wide!)

Going downtown to a marine supplier and get my control cables, (sorry iboats you are sold out of my length)

I'll post pics later today..guess I'm giving myself a bump so I wont be buried on page 8 with all of you guys that have been flying past me..you know who you are! lol

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

Kev,

Theres nothing wrong with steady progress, especially with all the traveling you have to do for work. She looks more complete every time you post. BTW I was thinking of a blue stripe down the roof of my cabin, but I didn't want any copywrite infringement lawsuits headed my way :D

Rickairmedic

Commander

Kev put some seats in that thing and go splash it :D.

Rick

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

heres an update..

I'm freeeking P:eek::eek::eek::eek:D off

Felt good when I got all the cables in and finally got the control box together..cables move nicely..clicks into nuetral..or drops..can feel neutral without lookin...

took the old throttle cable off the carb...thought maybe I'll test the neutral shift thingy to make sure it's all good...

it is..

but it just turn turns and doesnt catch....besides its what 97 degrees and I'm sweating like a 400 lb woman eating cake

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Mmmmm 400 lb woma...whooops... I mean...Mmmmm cake :D

Have cold one CBK, sure you'll figure it out!

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Ok..so the reason she wouldnt start was ohhhh..10 years of green goo blocking my brass outlet at the bottom of the fuel pump..AND had the same green goo at the brass inlet to the carb...

Soooooo..When I bought her, she fired right up....I guess the guy that had her either loaded her up with gas down the carb or fogged the cra:eek: outt her with starting fluid....

But a couple days later when I got her home she fired right up again...Musta been a pint of gas down the carb....

I cleaned out both fitting pretty good...have em soaking in cleaner for now...
My other frustrating thing to day was the business end of my shift cable..
The old cable has this spring bolt/cotter pin set up...
I think OK, I'll pull out the pin and pop this huckleberry on my new cable..
Ya...maybe not. Was going to jerry rig it with a longer bolt or something..
My guess is that the spring is a shock absorber for flexing during the gear changes from fwd to rvse..I posted in the I/O section and dont have any info yet..(slackers..lol)

screwyscrew.jpg

North Beach

Commander

Kev, do you have the manuals for this tub? Also, shoot a pm to appaloosa. He's the guru on shift cables on these boats, I swear!

Bring that thing up here and park it in my air conditioned garage.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Yep NB..I have a 975 page pdf file on my laptop for her..
Gotta tell ya, that pin screw wasn't in it!

Hmmmmm..AC? I'd just be spoiled and would never leave!!

Thanks for the tip on App!

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

ON the shift cable problem i had the same situation on my 35 evinrude. It would not shift all the way into reverse. I couldn't get it adjusted to move from forward to reverse. It would go to neutral from either direction. I figured it was becuase of all of the flex especially considering the hole was enlarged where the cable attaches. I have considered the bolt set up myself. Let me know what you come up with.

Brad

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Last night I am on CL scouring whatever I may be interested in...
And bang..I see these seats..It was 10pm, they had been posted @ 8pm..
I'm thinking they may be gone so I send an email anyway..
The guy bounces me back this AM with "You have first shot" nice!!!
Well...not bad for 10 bucks each huh?

cheapseats1.jpg

cheapseats.jpg

Rickairmedic

Commander

Kev Those look pretty good . I will have pics up shortly of my weekend seat purchase :D.

Rick

Andy in NY

Commander

kev, i hope ya get your cables figured out soon... you are pretty close to splashing her!

do you have a date in mind? what do you have left to do?

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

kev, i hope ya get your cables figured out soon... you are pretty close to splashing her!

do you have a date in mind? what do you have left to do?

Well..I thought I'd get her wet next weekend..but...

After finding all the green blockage in the brass fitting from the fuel pump and into the carb..I am really afraid I am going to need a carb rebuild...

I have to resolve the shift cable and the carb/fuel pump deal...So we'll see what other gremlins pop up along the way...
I have read before to do motor first, make it purty later..$$ wise it was easier to do the purty work..But now that I think I am close to splashing..That advice comes back with a big "I told ya so!!" biting me in the arse:eek:

Andy in NY

Commander

Well..I thought I'd get her wet next weekend..but...

After finding all the green blockage in the brass fitting from the fuel pump and into the carb..I am really afraid I am going to need a carb rebuild...

I have to resolve the shift cable and the carb/fuel pump deal...So we'll see what other gremlins pop up along the way...
I have read before to do motor first, make it purty later..$$ wise it was easier to do the purty work..But now that I think I am close to splashing..That advice comes back with a big "I told ya so!!" biting me in the arse:eek:

i started mine with a motor that i couldnt even start! but i am glad that i did what i did and came into that motor.

you will get it all figured out.

Rickairmedic

Commander

Kev I think most of us are doing it backwards :D. I seem to remember NB fighting motor troubles recently and I know I havent done anything with mine yet other than run it in a bucket . I still have to do the impeller/water pump and all the cables aaaaand most likely the carbs will need to be done on my merc.

Rick

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Thanks guys..Guess the Good thing is I know it runs...She did fire up instantly when I checked her out...

But..I almost feel like it was a mirage...That gunk in those fittings means she was sitting for 10 years? I dont know how long it takes that green gunk to build up like that..When i was really young, my bud & I bought old motorcycles, Honda CB 550's, whatever we could find cheap, do the carbs.And resell em...All the carbs we did had that green gunk from sitting for a year or so..I have NEVER seen total blockage like I saw yesterday..

WesMason

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A carb is a carb is a carb (Plato).

Seriously though...put a carb kit in it and call it good. You'll know you have that covered. I tried doing without...and it worked, for about 12 minutes. Then all those delicate parts just came apart. Gas is just plain destructive.

I splashed my boat without many things not complete (seats included :eek:)...but mechanically and electrically it was/is sound. You're work has been tremendous...don't let something like this kill the momentum.

my $.02

Wes

Status
Not open for further replies.