my 1991 capri rebuild

bleedblue94

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: my 1991 capri rebuild

Looking forward to seeing how you build seat boxes in front....I keep going back and forth on how I will build mine.

i have a plan but its hard to explain. i dont think i need the walkway between the bow seats and instead will probably build it as a giant stoarge box that you can sit on top of. ill post pics for sure

bleedblue94

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's lookin good Bleedblue! Deck looks great!

thanks. some people who have seen it are amazed how much time its taking for each small thing, but i think taking the extra time will just make a nicer product

bleedblue94

Petty Officer 1st Class

You have done some great looking work.
Your really moving on and getting it done.
When do you think you will splash?
thanks, i know its a bayliner and most people will just dismiss it but thats fine with me. i know this is being build solid.

i have been really working hard bc i am having surgery on my knee and thumb the first week on june which will put my right thumb out of use for about 2-3 months and of coarse im right handed. also a week prior i will be in bermuda, so i need to have this boat built, interior gelcoated, and the motor at least mounted before i leave for bermuda may 20th. im cutting it close but moving fast.

the hold up for building the rear boxes has just arrived, my new backup fuel tank is here so i can start working it in. sunday, monday, and tuesday will be BIG days

bleedblue94

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wondering if anyone knows where I can find a decent sized deck drain/grate? Something maybe 10x10 that you can stand and walk on. I've looked and only been able to find crappy shower drains and such or drains that are 3". I'm looking for something allittle bigger. Thanks

bleedblue94

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks, im trying to find something bigger: 10x10 or 12x12 even. i want to be able to pull something out if i have the need. inspected the hull today and found a couple nicks in it. just one more thing to add to the list. will probably just sand the whole thing lightly, reinforce with csm/1708 on the inside and mix a good PB for the outside and sand and gelcoat it. nothing major but just another thang ha

bleedblue94

Petty Officer 1st Class

Damn rick. Thanks. Nice work ha. Well find me the same thing but made of stainless steel and a thinner piece ha

bleedblue94

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks. ugh started building the bow boxes. im making easy stuff harder by trying to do new things. i should just go the easy way and get done right? nahhh

rickryder

Commander

We always try to build a better mouse trap..... I was doing that with my plumbing.... I wanted a washdown hose,bilge pick up...just in case.. and feeds for the livewell and drain system for said livewell......after all the thought that went into the plumbing system.... I just said it needed to be KISS....keep it simple stupid :facepalm: So I have a removable livewell with it's own self contained pump..
And a washdown pump that I can open and close 2 valves to draw water from the bilge as a back up pump.

I think we over think things a lot ;)

bleedblue94

Petty Officer 1st Class

We always try to build a better mouse trap..... I was doing that with my plumbing.... I wanted a washdown hose,bilge pick up...just in case.. and feeds for the livewell and drain system for said livewell......after all the thought that went into the plumbing system.... I just said it needed to be KISS....keep it simple stupid :facepalm: So I have a removable livewell with it's own self contained pump..
And a washdown pump that I can open and close 2 valves to draw water from the bilge as a back up pump.

I think we over think things a lot ;)
isnt that the damn truth

bleedblue94

Petty Officer 1st Class

got some work done on the bow the last 2 days

heres what i started with. i do need to close the corners abit around the locker but thankfully its only a minimal issue
IMG-20120428-00128.jpg

here are the first two pieces for the bow. the front one is angled towards the front for a reason
IMG-20120501-00143.jpg

this will be the anchor storage. it will be constantly left open, so the shelf is recessed and angled to stop the anchor from bouncing around. i will be cutting out the circled area so the line can be fed down to the lower area. keep in mind my forward drain is right below here.
IMG-20120501-00147.jpg

gotta pieces this mess together now
IMG-20120501-00142.jpg

this is what i get. dont mind my chicken scratch everywhere
IMG-20120501-00146.jpg

the chopped up wood everywhere is bc my day started with my jigsaw quitting on me, so i was forced to do all the cuts with a sawzall. it will all be cleaned up before assembly

bleedblue94

Petty Officer 1st Class

heres a better shot of the lower area.
IMG-20120501-00145.jpg

the bow seats will extend the the forward edge of the platform. i have already cut new bases and will probably recover them this weekend. also to access the storage i will be using sections of 2"x2" to frame out the area between the two seats. once i establish the frame i will cut out the top board, and then cut a new lid out of 3/4" ply and use a hinge to secure it. this will create a bow with fixed seat cushions and a center hatch that will sit about 1" below the height of the seat cushions which will give me access to all the storage area. i think it will be primarily used for life jackets and ski ropes ect.

also i did my rear drains for the deck to the bilge

oversized cutouts with the holesaw and then 1" pvc pipe and PB packed around them
IMG-20120501-00148.jpg

IMG-20120501-00149.jpg

then a quick sand and nice easy drains. i just need to refinish the edges with more PB
IMG-20120501-00151.jpg

this weekend i hope to have the bow finished and start working on the stern

bleedblue94

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice work BB The drains came out great ;)

thanks rick. im just getting to the point where i know im getting stuff done but im impatient. you know how the weather in the NE breaks suddenly and i want to be out on the water soon. UGH

bleedblue94

Petty Officer 1st Class

so im curious about something: i know resin on its own is not strong and will crack, hence needing mat or cloth. when making PB, fibers and cabosil are mixed in for thickness and strength. what im wondering is how strong is resin just mixed with a large amount of cabosil? im not asking bc i plan to do this, but im wondering if good, quality cabosil has any structural strength that it adds when mixed with the resin?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

It does add some strength due to the silica binding properties but is basically used as a thickening agent.

bleedblue94

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks wood.

things have progressed slowly again but here we are making SOME progress

HD pink foam chopped up and then pour foam used to fill the boxes under the helm
IMG-20120505-00156.jpg

bow deck laid on and starting to PB
IMG-20120505-00157.jpg

i cannot wait to clean this mess up and finally support that windshield again
IMG-20120505-00159.jpg

clamped down the framing for the access hatch that i will make. the framing will also keep the seats in place
IMG-20120506-00162.jpg

just started on the rear boxes. they will have to be oversized since this one will house the second fuel tank. you can see the ouline on the side of the hull of where the old one was
IMG-20120506-00163.jpg

bleedblue94

Petty Officer 1st Class

now two more questions:

first, im looking for suggestions on how to line wood or make a smooth transition from wood panels around the rear seats to the splashwell? bayliner had the trim panels wrapped in carpet which worked well, but im trying to avoid carpet anywhere. im afraid to glass the panels to the splashwell bc if the hull flexs too much i dont want the glass or gelcoat to crack in that spot. open to any suggestions....

second, i will be doing one captains seat and one back to back lounger. i have a base/box for the back to back lounger from an old boat i scrapped. you can see the pictures below. again, im looking to avoid carpet so any ideas on how i can incorporate this to the boat? is there a plastic primer that i can use that resin or gelcoat will grab too? maybe a very stupid question, but could i use the existing carpet on this as something for the resin to bind to? also any suggestions on a good way to mount this to the deck besides screwing it in? im very weary of screwing anything into the deck, and if worst comes to worst i may cut out a piece of ply and glass it to the deck and then screw this down to that ply, but im looking for suggestions.

thanks

IMG-20120506-00164.jpg

IMG-20120506-00166.jpg