My 1968 Glastron GT160 rebuild......

pckeen

Commander
Wow! That's some great progress. It looks like a boat once more. An emoticon won't cut it so....

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
HAHA, Thank pckeen!!!

Well mission for today accomplished....splash well 1708"d in, dash is fared and ready for primer and managed to get some quality sewing time in also!!! (Chiefs game was on and playing in the background)

Making my Admiral one if Wogs beach chairs....(get me points and sewing practice!!

I didnt like the way the corners came out on the bottom plate, so I cut it apart and change my sequence...here is what the look like now...not perfect but much better!!

Have a great rest of your weekend!!

Last edited:

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer
Nice work. You've had a very productive day!

I'm feeling a little more inspired to redo the 80s blue upholstery on my console now.

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Nice work. You've had a very productive day!

I'm feeling a little more inspired to redo the 80s blue upholstery on my console now.

Arawak, it really hasnt been too difficult so far....last thing I sewed was a sweatshirt 25 years ago in home ec, and yes the sleeves were not the same length!!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Nice bit of sewing .... That pretty blue Morse sure looks familiar .... :twitch: :tongue1:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
After practicing on some scraps and searching the net I found this video that shows a similar style of sewing when you have a inner and outer flat top plate with piping separating the two plates.

I tried it and discovered with practice that the KEY is to fold the outer plate in half and cut an upholsterers mark in the inner selvage at the midpoint and do the same on the inner plate on the outer selvage. Sew the Piping to the Inner plate and then sew the outer plate to the inner Plate starting at the center point and working to the end points. The guy in the video talks about this and shows it too!! I remember a couple years ago when Judge helped me with my Sons VW Bus Seats and he did that on the seats and I forgot about it. When I saw this video I remembered it and tried it and it really worked great. It Makes going around the curves MUCH easier and keeps you from getting the wrinkles. At least it did for me.

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I wish the audio was better on the video . It would have made it better to understand .
My old Tull sewing vid was up next so I had to watch it also .. Mainly just for the tunes ....:cool:

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thanks all for the comments! Got a bit more "Practice Upholstering" done...amazing how time consuming it really is!! Especially if you dont know what you are doing!! Thanks for the help Wog!!

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I wish the audio was better on the video . It would have made it better to understand .
My old Tull sewing vid was up next so I had to watch it also .. Mainly just for the tunes ....:cool:

HAHA, I came across that one awhile back!!! Agree, good tunez!!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Corjen and Sphelps, two guys that couldn't spell sooween mucheen not to long ago and Sphelps did some of the best sooween and home grown fabrication I've seen on the forum

DSC00961.jpg

and Corjen is learning fast!!! Hard to imagine that I had sumthun to do with it all. I have to stop enkuragin these folks to do stupid stuff like this. They could be doin MANLY things like Knittin or Crocheting!!!:eek::D

I have to say, we seem to have some Mighty talented folks here on the iBoats forum!!! Mighty Talented!!!

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I have to stop enkuragin these folks to do stupid stuff like this. They could be doin MANLY things like Knittin or Crocheting!!!:eek::D

Please don't encourage me to do that ! The man card would be in major trouble and the Admiral already has enough pot holders ! :facepalm:

Rickmerrill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Darn nice. And I thought mr phelps spent most of his time floating around testing pool noodles.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
:focus: Have ya made the final color decision for the upholstery ?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Wow I didn't realize that you can get pre-pleated vinyl .... :cool:
Looking forward to see it come together ....