MFG rebuild getting started pics

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: MFG rebuild getting started pics

No hardener in the color testing only in the paint 30 minutes before you're ready to roll or shoot. Hardener will Not change the color but it will enhance the gloss and shorten the cure time. Yes, all Paint should be gloss. You'll prolly have to find a Tractor Supply store to get the paint or order online. And yep the Tractor primer is good stuff to use. One stop shopping!!!!:D

Trooper82

Commander

SP not sure how I missed your resto....looking mighty fine! I just read to get caught up. You are making excellent progress, keep it up.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Craigweaver Yep I gotta hurry and get the $ to get that thing poured but there,s plenty other stuff to do ..

Trooper, Thanks, there.s so much to read on these,s forums it takes a while. Before I joined on I never sat at computer more than 5 min. Now it,s hour,s .:eek: :D

see ya S.P.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Found a Tractor Supply store here in town . I called them and they have everything in stock.
8 oz. hardner -15.00
1 gal primer - 37.00
1 gal white - 35.00
1 qt blue/green - 13.00
That sound about right? How much would marine paint cost at the boat store,s ?
How much paint you think will do it?

jbcurt00

Staff member

Pettit Easypoxy $80/gal+/- & add shipping in my case. Rustoleum is about the same as tractor supply and you'd use the same hardener. I can't help w/ quantity used/needed, BUT I'D LOVE TO KNOW. I'll be there eventually....

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Found a Tractor Supply store here in town . I called them and they have everything in stock.
8 oz. hardner -15.00
1 gal primer - 37.00
1 gal white - 35.00
1 qt blue/green - 13.00
That sound about right? How much would marine paint cost at the boat store,s ?
How much paint you think will do it?

R U painting Just the top or top and Hull?

3/4 of a quart will put two coats on the cap.

for the hull...

2qts of Primer
2qts of White
1qt blue
1qt green
8oz of Hardener

Remember you will be mixing in the blue and green and reducer so a quart actually yields about a 1/2 quarts, and that will yield about two coats. If you are roll n' rolling maybe not but spraying for sure it will. Two coats of primer and 3 coats of Color coat should give you great results. 2oz of hardener per quart so IMHO this should fix you up. It did the "Blue Flamingo" just fine. I bought a gallon of White and had enough left over to give three coats on my trailer. I did buy more hardener though. Bottom line for just a bit

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

We are painting the whole shabang Wood including the hard top inside and out.
That's a good starting list they have everything in stock so I can always get more.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

We are painting the whole shabang Wood including the hard top inside and out.
That's a good starting list they have everything in stock so I can always get more.

Then for sure get a Gallon of White. And 16 oz of hardener if you are painting the inside of the hull and deck as well. I forgot I did the Deck previous to the hull and used two quarts on it. DUH!!!! My BAD!!!!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Doing some sanding on the cap today . While sanding away all kinds of questions start popping in my head.
should I fill in rub rail screw holes?
should I get rid of lift ring or leave it?
DSC00089.jpg

Probably leave it if I can get it to shine.
should I fill in holes in dash in case I can,t use what was in it?
do I need a tach or temp gauge?
DSC00090.jpg

can the speedo be saved if not where can find one the looks original?
the bow light I think was painted white what type primer/paint to use?
DSC00091.jpg

That 3m filler was pretty pricey but it works like a champ!
sanding,s not very fun but a lot better than grinding glass!
Gotta start thinking about seats. Maybe Woodonglass can whip me up some of those fun n sun seats!
Will I ever get that Chrysler motor running ? Still don,t have spark! :confused:

Whats for dinner? :)

Thats snuff thinken for tonight......

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Hi S.P.,
As far as the speedo gauge, here is a link to one possibility... http://www.gaugeguys.com/resto.htm
Depending on the material the light housing is made of you can use a zinc chromate type primer if it is aluminum or a self-etching primer if it is pot metal or steel...
Rub rail screw holes...me personally, I am going to plug all of my 3,694, give or take a couple hundred thousand, because the wood that they used to be screwed into no longer existed and most of the holes were wallowed out to where most of the screws were doing very little holding... if you are in the same 'boat', I would go ahead an fill them and redrill...two cents worth...:)
I like the look of the lift ring, and you could use it as an anchor rope tie down???... That's another .02:rolleyes:
Dash holes...I would definitely keep the tach, but if you feel like it might be more visible in a different location, fill the hole and make a new one...same goes for the temp gauge, or any other instrumentation...Hmmm, let's see that's another penny and a half...

Engine...no spark?...Questions,1- Battery OK?, 2- Engine turns over Good?, 3- What type of ignition? Magneto or Distributor, or Electronic?, 4- Have you run a compression test? That will get you "started" on finding out if it will start...;)

OK, grand total...nickle.95

Later...:D

jbcurt00

Staff member

Yep, agree with all ^^^^ that.......

Seems like a lot of vintage runabouts used a central bow cleat and a two of these bow chocks:

bow chocks.jpg

And use the lifting eye as the central cleat:
central cleat & chocks.jpg

Good to hear the 3M worked as expected...... If the bow light isn't pitted too bad, it & the lifting eye would look GREAT chromed or silver powder coated:D

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Thanks, GT,JBC. The only gauges it ever had was just the speedo, ign switch, lights. There,s not a lot of dash but just wondering If I should ad anything else.
It had a big bow cleat and the chocks so there going back on. Painted white.
Maybe paint the lift ring . I like the powder coat idea!
I have a thread started in the chrysler forum and have tried many things but I AIN,T given up..

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Tried the tape trick on the chip,ed bow ribs ...
DSC00093.jpg

after sanding....
DSC00095.jpg

turned out pretty good I think . Thanks for the tip GT !
I picked this grinding set up at H/F . The little white ball worked really well making divits at screw holes..
DSC00092.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You did clean with acetone before filling Right??? A dremel tool works well on scratches an gouges too! That is, If you have one.

Remember, He who has the most tools....WINS!!!!!!

I'm trying to be a WINNER!!!!!! But my wife says I'm a loser cuz I got WAY to many TOOLS!!!!!:rolleyes:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

I wiped it down 3 or 4 times with acetone before I taped it. Add a dremel tool to the list of my don,t have,s..:facepalm:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Isn't a great dremel, but Harbor Freight:
Harbor Freight dremel kit.gif$10.50

I'm afraid everybody has a tough road ahead to beat my mom's father in the tool race. When he passed, I volunteered to straighten up & clean out his workshop(s). Does anyone need 18 phillip's screw drivers? Got my woodworking start in that basement. Good times, great memories!:D

craigweaver

Chief Petty Officer
lookin good SP! you need a dremel, I love mine! it is the finess of a pencil with the cutting power of a 4 1/2 inch angle grinder ;) (ok, maybe not that much power but I think you know what I mean)

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

18 Phillip's screw drivers.. heheheheheh :facepalm: :p

jbcurt00

Staff member

Those are the one's left after every grandson & son-in-law got a couple, and those of us who didn't graduate w/ a master's degree in computer or political science, took a whole set. Don't get me started on the flatheads...(or paint stirs/can opener/metal or woodworking chisels/ground into long handled awls/pry bars/welding push sticks, seems flatheads were a bit of a favorite too). If I had know how many screws & nails I'd use building my plywood boat I might have saved at least 1 of the lazy susan, kind of a spice rack full of mason jars w/ hundreds of different, sorted screws & nails.

Great time. Glad I knew him as an adult. Neat guy. Hope to make some progress on mine this weekend. We'll see if that 'low cost, alternative' dremel is worth the plastic it's molded from:) and give that saw a shot at the hull/cap seam.

I'd ask ya to send me some of that S. FL. warm sunshine, but......... I'll miss my company trip to Neptune Beach in late March-early April. It's Tucson this year, & too far. Darn this economy, costing me a paid trip to the beach w/ my wife.:( Oh & all the learnin' I'd get at the half day seminars.