MFG rebuild getting started pics

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Re: MFG rebuild getting started pics

Hardtop looks amazing on there!
Dolphins were cool!
But those fly bys, and the one honking the horn...well, let's just say I'll be thinking about those all day long with a grin a mile wide...
Thanks, SP:thumb:

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Great video! Hard top looks awesome... Nice and beefy!

Bet that shade is nice this time of year.

59 Fatty

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sweet. I'm so jealous, my boat is still under renovation. I'm over in Naples, is there any antique boat clubs down here?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

I'll likely be deaf in my left ear the rest of the night......

Great run, and I bet the spacers helped a lot.
Sorry about the hearing loss . The place is loaded with porpoises right now . They like to head into the creeks and feed this time of year . If your fishing and they come around ya may as well pull anchor and fish somewhere else cuss you ain't catching squat with them around .
Hardtop looks amazing on there!
Dolphins were cool!
But those fly bys, and the one honking the horn...well, let's just say I'll be thinking about those all day long with a grin a mile wide...
Thanks, SP:thumb:
Thanks GT ! I have a few other higher priority thing to purchase but some trimtabs are on the short list .Shold help with some of the porpoising ..
Great video! Hard top looks awesome... Nice and beefy!

Bet that shade is nice this time of year.
I know I don't have to tell you how brutal the sun can be down here . And it's nice to be able to have a conversation at wot without having to yell at each other ..
Sweet. I'm so jealous, my boat is still under renovation. I'm over in Naples, is there any antique boat clubs down here?
Not sure about the boat clubs but if there are any I would be up for it . That would be fun but not sure if they would let me hang out with my ol ragamuffin MFG ! :facepalm::pout::D

jbcurt00

Staff member

If you can afford them, adjustable trim tabs w/ a helm mounted up/down switch would be great in lots of differing water conditions. Smart tabs would be a MUCH less expensive option:
smart_tab_black_6.jpg
SX Smart Tabs
$120 here at iboats for 15-19ft 60-15hp boats.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Yeh I have been looking at different types I believe the SX9510-60 Smart tabs are the right size for mine . The only thing I quite don't understand is when the boat gets on plane and increases speed the S/T flatten out . I wonder how that will help with porpoising at wot ? It seems like you would want it to be somewhat angled down . But everyone does say that it helps .:noidea:

lokonn

Chief Petty Officer

Way cool video! That boat is gorgeous.

59 Fatty

Petty Officer 1st Class

[/QUOTE]Not sure about the boat clubs but if there are any I would be up for it . That would be fun but not sure if they would let me hang out with my ol ragamuffin MFG ! :facepalm::pout::D[/QUOTE]

Mine's a ragamuffin too, in fact, that may be a good name for it! LOL!!! I know was one up in LaBelle on the river there.
Antique Outboard Motor Club - South Florida Gator Chapter
Check out their site. I'm going to be looking at all you did and try to do that to mine, nice job man!!!!!

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Way cool video! That boat is gorgeous.

Thanks lokonn! I just started digging into your rebuild thread . I think I'm on pg 4 . Looks like your well on the way and doing some great work. Prolly read the rest tomorrow .. :)
59 Fatty ,
I checked out the club site . Not sure if they would let me join with a 2013 e-tec .. :facepalm:
But you would fit right in with your o/b and they look to be based kinda near ya too..
You gunna start a rebuild thread for your boat ?

Been thinking on some under bow storage . Drew a little sketch of what I may do . [ruff sketch] LOL!
But I think you will get the idea ..

I will probably just stain and varnish it . Got a cool idea on a quick access PFD system also . The hamster is still working on that ...
Hope everyone has a great rest of the week !

59 Fatty

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think you can buy old engine covers and just put them over your new engine. LOL!! Yes, I will have to start a thread in this section when I start on the boat itself. I just sort-of finished a long thread in the Johnson section with the motor with a rebuild on that. Mine is a 1961 Crestliner Arabian Deluxe. I like your colors andI may do a ugly step-sister, if you don't mind. I'd like to follow your string for help. Thank you so much for posting all of this, I plan to do the same. What is "the hamster" mean?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Hamster AKA that peanut sized grey matter between my ears ! :D

59 Fatty

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ha that's funny. I saw how you built the rotisserie unit. One question that I have is this, how did you fasten it to the rear of the boat? Did you think of other things that you could have done better after you were done? I have to do this as well. I hope no one yells during my roll over, that freaked me out, and you took it right in stride. Impressive nerves of steel my friend.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Heh Heh ! Sorry that was my daughter yelling at the dog to get back . After that we had a nice discussion on when and when NOT to yell at the dogs ! :scared::tape: I fastened the rear of the boat with 2 -2x4's screwed through the holes on the lower rubrail . I put carpet on them to protect the paint on the reflip . Basically I just installed a post with a long threaded rod through it and another 2x4 that was fastened to the 2x screwed through the rubrail holes . We had to lift the back of the boat up with a jack and slid the rod on with a washer and nut holding it together . On the reflip I upgraded to a 2x6 for the back support . The 2x4 with a 5/8" hole through the center on the first flip was a bit scary . I really thought it would break at one point . Oh and if I ever make seats again I will most definitely get a better sewing machine !

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Hope you all are having a great weekend ! My daughter took the liberty of throwing some stuff on the grill . :joyous:

Had to cut grass most of the day but I did manage to make a template of my bow storage area .

I am going to remake it with some thicker cardboard or Masonite and do a little tweaking to it . Not much space to work with up there and squeezing between the the front seats to get to it is a real pita !
I have 1/4",1/2" and 3/4" plywood . I was thinking maybe the 1/2 would work ok ..

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Those kabobs are making my mouth water...YUMMMM!

Question...

Is there a reason you don't want to use the dashboard as a mounting area for the glove box and the radio, then mount the speakers some where else...?

That would leave that area under the dash, completely open and accessible...

Maybe even make the glove box look like part of the dash board and mount the radio inside, on the back wall of the glove box...?

IDK, just thinking out loud...:noidea:

Happy Sunday:D

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

I thought about a dash mount . The problem is at it's widest point it is only 7" wide and gets smaller from there. Most clove box doors are about 14" x5-1/2" . There are supporting ribs under the dash / cap that would need to be cut . I could go between those ribs but that would put the box unproportionate to stripes or dash center . I have a chrome rail that mounts on top of the dash just have not been a $ priority to have rechromed yet . Mainly it's a small dash and I would rather not clutter it with to much stuff .

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Got the bulkhead cut and a coat of stain on it . Kinda funky looking but I think it will work ok . Not really gunna see much of it anyway..

I will cut the speaker holes out before I install it in the boat . I don't have a radio yet but I think I can find out a standard size for a 6" set of speakers .
Now on a sad note . We had to put down our black lab Cocoa today . She was part of the family for a little over 17 years . Just stopped eating a few days ago and was suffering . She was my daughters dog and she made the call . Cocoa was my buddy all through restoring the boat . When I worked late in the evenings she would hang out and keep me company either sleeping in the garage or getting under my feet wanting some attention. LOL! I will miss her ..

jbcurt00

Staff member

Sorry to hear about your family's loss. :pray: She & Majic can hang out by the dock together......
dogrun.gif

New fab work is good looking, per usual :)

lokonn

Chief Petty Officer

Our pets become such a part of our families. Sorry for the loss of your resto buddy. Sleep well knowing she is in a place without pain or suffering.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Very sad to hear of the passing of Cocoa, may she find all of our friends up in heaven and have tons of fun chasing each other around...