MFG rebuild getting started pics

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Re: MFG rebuild getting started pics

Just a wild thought, instead of adding weight forward, which could affect performance, maybe look into some type of trim tab...IDK???

jbcurt00

Staff member

Just a wild thought, instead of adding weight forward, which could affect performance, maybe look into some type of trim tab...IDK???
Not a bad deal, if they 'fit' the MFG. Style/size & enough 'shock' pressure. I don't exactly understand the weight sizing, but maybe look into whether these are too big or too small:
$T2eC16hHJIUFHH%28+rFObBR3i5VfFgg%7E%7E60_57.JPG

They're stainless :D

tallcanadian

Captain

Trim tabs or why not just adjust your power trim while under way? I prolly missed somethin', didn't I?:facepalm:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

I thought the trim tabs were to help getting on plane .. How do they work to stop porpoising ? The motor is trimmed down as far as it can go. When they installed the o/b they were gong to try and wedge the mounting bracket but the steering arm would not clear the transom. Not much angle on these older transom's .

tallcanadian

Captain

Trim tabs keeps pressure so to speak on the water. Kind of pushing the transom up to keep the bow down. I've been looking at them for mine too but will wait to see how mine will work with the CMC power trim.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

My best understanding of trim tabs are that they can be used for various purposes...
One is to help the boat get up on plane quicker.
Another is to adjust the attitude of the boat while riding on plane, nose up or nose down.
And if they are independently adjustable, similar to the very expensive Bennett Trim Tabs, you can also adjust for side to side loading of the boat like if you have more weight on one side than the other...
In performance use, they can also be used to help turn the boat, similar to ailerons on an airplane...although that takes a lot of practice...:eek:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Got my awesome parking sign put up ..

Thanks Jb !!
Had to do a little modification on the trailer . The bunks were rubbing the paint off the hull in two spots so I added a roller to help lift the bow a bit before it hit the hard edge of the inside bunks .

I touched up the paint and will give it a test this weekend .
I have been looking at the trim tabs . I hope I can get away with the smart tabs . The remote ones are waaay out of my price range .
The Admiral just kinda looked at me and shook her head when I showed her the cost of the Bennett Tabs ..

jbcurt00

Staff member

Sign looks great!

You are welcome!

59 Fatty

Petty Officer 1st Class

What did you use to finish the hull? Paint, gel, ?? It looks awesome.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Valspar oil based enamel with enamel hardener . Tractor implement paint from the Tractor Supply Store . Top cap was a secret recipe of Ford blue , John Deere green , and gloss white . :)

Trooper82

Commander

Yep , If I can just remember where I stashed the paper I wrote it down on .. :facepalm::D

Lomao.....aint old age a bxxxx...I find myself losing things all the time...

Last edited:

59 Fatty

Petty Officer 1st Class

You did an amazing job. I am just starting out.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Lomao.....aint old age a bxxxx...I find myself losing things all the time...

Yep and I would have you guy's an H/T run video if I could remember my youtube password ! :facepalm:
Oh well here are some pics anyway ..

I like the reflection on that one . And from behind ...

Ya know I love Chris as if he were my own kid but I have to tell ya that boy could tare the horns off a billy goat . And make an anvil inoperable ! This is the second brand new trailer winch he has broken .

I know he doesn't try to break stuff but somehow it just happens ! :lol:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Got it figured out ..
I added some spacers to the hold downs to catch some fresh air going up the windshield. Gets a bit stuffy down here. Nice to get out of the sun though !

jbcurt00

Staff member

ah, man

The Admiral happened to look over my shoulder just as the dolphins came up behind your boat :facepalm:

I'll likely be deaf in my left ear the rest of the night......

Great run, and I bet the spacers helped a lot.