mercruiser 888 383

mauro.

Seaman
Hey guys i was wondering what you think will i kill my 888 drive if i put a 383 automotive engine with 350 hp in there?
thank you
Mauro

Fun Times

Staff member
Well, honestly, there's only one way to find out.🚤🛥️🚢🛳️⚓

:D

What are the details of the boat, boat weight/size, are you hard on the throttle, etc.?

mauro.

Seaman
its a 22 ft reinell cuddy hard top I rebuilt the 302 engine as i bought the boat and engine would not make power but now i figured out that I have a 1:32 ratio insteadof1:50 so that is the reason I couldn't get above 2000 even with rebuilld

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Hey guys i was wondering what you think will i kill my 888 drive if i put a 383 automotive engine with 350 hp in there?
thank you
Mauro
If the 383 was built for a truck or boat (build for torque, with proper quench and a good low-overlap cam). No problem. Just swap the core plugs to brass, swap the head gaskets to marine swap the water pump to marine.
Use a marine carb, ignition, front accessories and rotating electrics.

However if it was build for a Camaro with a bit of a lumpy cam and high compression slugs. You will have to rebuild it for marine use.

matt167

Rear Admiral
383 would be on the edge of what an MC1 can handle. In those days, Mercruiser would pair high hp applications with a TR or TRS drive.. it would likely be okay but I don’t think I’d hammer it for hole shots

mauro.

Seaman
It got a towing/Marine cam that makes torque at low rpm it is supposed to make power right from idle to about 4800 rpm The only thing is that as far as i can see it is fuel injected so i don't know with wiring harness? and also do you guys know if It is no big issues with mounting it to my 888 hook up?
Thanks for those answers so far
Mauro

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Its still a small block gm motor so it depends on the width of the rear mounts. 1 piece rear seal or 2 piece and flywheel diameter

Scott Danforth

Staff member
It got a towing/Marine cam that makes torque at low rpm it is supposed to make power right from idle to about 4800 rpm The only thing is that as far as i can see it is fuel injected so i don't know with wiring harness? and also do you guys know if It is no big issues with mounting it to my 888 hook up?
Thanks for those answers so far
Mauro
automotive EFI can not be used in a boat without the risk of you meeting Jesus

79503-7a3f20c67a22d7a0f8549421c67d1d6e.jpg

Scott Danforth

Staff member
because automotive fuel systems are not spark suppressed or designed to be in a boat. if they leak fuel in a car, it goes out the open bottom and doesnt matter. in a boat, the fuel leaks in the bilge, then turns to explosive vapors

Scott Danforth

Staff member
same with automotive ignition systems. they do not meet the SAE J1178 specification for spark suppression.

mauro.

Seaman
Is there any addition that can be added for it to make it save? Oh and by the way where is the best place to sell rebuilt marine engines/ or is one of you guys interested in a rebuilt Mercruiser 888/ford 302 engine?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
there is no way to make an automotive fuel system safe for a boat by an individual.

I build my own engines. many people buy their engines from michigan motorz. GM used to sell 6.2 liter 377 stock bore crate motors.

the LS marine motors have been out since about 2008, so I would seriously look at that vs the traditional Gen 1 SBC

matt167

Rear Admiral
If you had an old crate engine that uses the Mercruiser MPFI manifold, than you could find the marine bits to put it together including a marine harness and ECU. That’s the only instance where it would be truly able to be converted since the manifold is the same

Scott06

Admiral
Is there any addition that can be added for it to make it save? Oh and by the way where is the best place to sell rebuilt marine engines/ or is one of you guys interested in a rebuilt Mercruiser 888/ford 302 engine?
Take off the automotive fuel injection and put a 4 bbl intake and marine carb on.

Scott06

Admiral
does that work with the ignition?
You need a marine ignition like a mercruiser thunderbolt or delco est . Basically all you keep off the 383 is the long block. You will also need a marine harness unless the one off the old engine will work. I think michigan motorz sells the ones they use on their partial engine package .