Maybe my turn for new boat time

alldodge

Staff member
More info on 1st Mate

If engines are killed from MOB they can be restarted after 6 seconds.
Was wondering about that because all the manual list is idle and neutral. Might need more then idle to go back and pick someone up

Need to have access to hub
I mounted it behind the helm which would need to dismantle the helm to get back at it. It has a button that may need to be pressed to allow motors to restart (resets MOB).

MOB and NEMA 2000
If MOB happens the location is pinned on your phone. If selected it will send messages to anyone which has been selected with location info. There is not a direct function between Hub and Chart plotter or other, but there may be new functions added in the future software updates.

Theft Deterrent
If turned ON and fob is not onboard. Manual list RPM is limited to idle
Contacted 1st Mate and asked can engines be started if TDS is ON and after a MOB event. There is not a idle limit except for first start and "disable engine start" has not been turned ON

Screenshot_20231221_075722_1st Mate.jpg

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I wonder if it would be worth buying a spare panel in case someday you have to replace that radio and the new one will be a different cutout size.

alldodge

Staff member
I wonder if it would be worth buying a spare panel in case someday you have to replace that radio and the new one will be a different cutout size.
Could be, but since Chap is just good looking cheap crap from the outside. I'm thinking of doing what another did on Chap forum. He removed everything and made a custom panel to install things like he wanted

My thought for later "if I stick with the boat" remove the entire helm, and make new. Chaparral really makes some crappy stuff

alldodge

Staff member
One forward and two back.

Thought about mounting it in the head behind the helm but this will require me to drill about a 3/4 inch hole. Would need to go thru 2 walls (Helm and Head) with maybe 3/4 to 1 inch space between.

Mounting it under the helm doesn't look good and the cable has a 90 degree fitting so cable will go that much more down before able to bring it back up behind helm.

Breaker panel is on the right and rest of the helm bottom is solid. Thinking about putting a quick removable panel on left side, maybe rectangular but could also do round. Use a black cover unless I can find brown

Also have to get another short NEMA cable. The Backbone is inline with the SmartCraft J-box, no room add even one more Tee connection. Also not able to get to all the screws holding the NEMA backbone Tee's without even more dismantling

Attachments

• helm work 1.jpg
    helm work 1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 9
  • helm work 2.jpg
    helm work 2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9

alldodge

Staff member
Just unable to find a place that I can get to if needed and the cables reach SmartCraft junction box, so I placed it behind the port side Simrad. If there is a problem and needs to be reset I can at least get to the key switch connectors with a philip screw driver

But there is more, :poop:
The head door latch always had a hard time latching. Screws are loose so I got into it. The hole was not cut low enough, and there was more then one hole drilled for each of the 2 screws

Latch 1.JPGLatch 2.JPGLatch 3.JPG

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I thought Chapparal was better than this.

No way my Cobalt has anything like this. I have taken enough things apart already to know. Can't say the Malibu owned Cobalts are as good as mine though...I have heard some horror stories about the newer Cobalt.

A friend of mine bought a 2022 Cobalt R3 and had to have his transom replaced because of voids in the fiberglass. It was actually bad enough that he was having water leak into his boat at the transom where the drive was mounted.

I am not buying any boats/cars/RVs made between 2020 and 2022(inclusive). The unskilled labor companies needed to hire to fill spots to keep up with the demand put a huge hit on quality.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Wow, between you and @tpenfield ... I expect to put work into my boat. If I spent 6 figures on it I wouldn't be nearly as patient as you guys.

tpenfield

Staff member
Wow, between you and @tpenfield ... I expect to put work into my boat. If I spent 6 figures on it I wouldn't be nearly as patient as you guys.
I have few (if any) gripes about the construction quality of my boat (Cruisers Yacht) . . the thing is built like a tank. I do wish it were about 1,500 lbs lighter though . . .

My main issues have been (1) the upholstery, which I knew about going in, and (2) the electrical system has been a nightmare. Although, I'd be pissed if I had bought the thing brand new and had these issues.

Probably won't go near a Chaparral, based on what AD has experienced.

If I ever decide to change boats, I'd probably be going back to Formula.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Corporate profits are more important than training.
That is simply not true.

Finding “skilled” labor anymore is next to impossible. Been that way since they took vocational training out of the public schools.

We spent an average of $40k just to hire someone between advertising, interviews and travel cost. Then easily spend upwards of six figures training the person for a position.

Problem is, they don’t stick with it. Always on the lookout for greener pastures. They’re making 6 figures and guy down the street offers them 50 cents a hour and free lattes and off they go.

We offer full tuition reimbursement for any college or continuing education classes related to your job. I took advantage of the offer at my last company to get my Engineering degree.

In the 10 years, I’ve worked at the current company, we’ve had 1 application submitted for reimbursement. He left the following year to go back to school full time

Pmt133

Petty Officer 1st Class
Finding competent engineers or really anyone with any sort of accountability is next to impossible and is prevalent everywhere. But that latch is just plain laziness.

One of several reasons I hade buying new is I feel like I spend more time fixing all the cut corners than I would've repairing the old item.

alldodge

Staff member
Well it warmed up so I drilled holes and mounted the antenna mount. The issues are unable to get the antenna to be straight up, it's leaning slightly inward. It is maybe 2 inches from the hardtop so it will hit when running. If I move it one notch then it leans outward which is worst. Might look for a plastic shim to put under top half to give me a tad more room, or wrap a few layers of tape where it would make contact

The Shakespeare kit comes with a grommet but the inside of it is sloppy on the cable, and needs at least a 3/8 hole. Think I'm going to do what I did with other boats. Cut the cable so I just need a 1/4 hole which the cable barely slides thru so it almost seals it self. Dab of clear silicone on the inside and your good

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Well it warmed up so I drilled holes and mounted the antenna mount. The issues are unable to get the antenna to be straight up, it's leaning slightly inward. It is maybe 2 inches from the hardtop so it will hit when running. If I move it one notch then it leans outward which is worst. Might look for a plastic shim to put under top half to give me a tad more room, or wrap a few layers of tape where it would make contact
3D printing to the rescue.

I love my 3D printer. Give me dimensions and I will print a shim for you.

alldodge

Staff member
Appreciate that Bruce, might do that but thinking of trying a simple solution.

They make plastic putty knives sort of things. I have a couple hanging on above the bench. Should be able to cut a piece out of it and make a shim (nothing to maybe 1/16) should do it