Maybe my turn for new boat time

alldodge

Staff member
Hey @tpenfield look what you started :cool:

Talking to the Admiral were looking at selling 2 boats and getting 1 other. We use the Formula during the hot months and the Rinker during the cooler ones. Like Ted I want to go OB this time so I can just leave it in on the lift until it gets to cold. Get a warm day and could drop back in and no need to winterize

Must have a pump out head and would like a hard top, but foldable Bimini is good enough
Anchor windless
Looking at the 29 to 33 footers.

Love the Formula 330 but dang 500K, geez a wiz
The Chaparral 300 OSX looks promising
SeaRay 310 SLX is ok but if I look here might as well look at Regal and others

alldodge

Staff member
My formula is a 27, would like to find a bow rider of same length that had windless and pump out, but so far have to go to 30.

Hope another can find one shorter

Stinnett21

Chief Petty Officer
If I had your money, and considering you want a hardtop, why not think outside the normal "Lake Cumberland" box? For example Cutwater, Jeanneau, Aspen Catamaran.

alldodge

Staff member
Did a quick search on the boat models listed, and only the Cutwater comes close. They are all appear to be ocean going boats, but I'm a lake guy that wants quality.

The hardtop is just for sun not enclosed

tpenfield

Staff member
I feel highly responsible for this issue, and willing to help in satisfying the itch. :ROFLMAO:

Are you buying new? or maybe slightly used?

I like the new Regals and the Chappy OSX, but not sure about the price point. The SeaRay SLX models look pretty nice too. It seems like every boat brand who used to make the I/O cabin boats now also has OB bowrider boats, some with decent mid-cabins.

I also found that if you wanted some overnighting capabilities, you needed to go 33 feet or more.

If you are thinking slightly used, it may be slim pickings, since many of these boats have not been out for very long. I know in my situation, in order to get an outboard version of the boats I was considering, I'd have to get new or nearly new at 2X my boat budget. Thus the I/O and the trailer to haul it out frequently for cleaning and maintenance.

Also, these new(er) boats are full of electronic gadgetry that seems to break at a higher frequency that the old school stuff. So, be ready to deal with a learning curve and possibly some new maintenance skills.

alldodge

Staff member
Would like to find used but there are next to nothing out there, so also looking at new.

Stinnett21

Chief Petty Officer
What about Stingray's new flagship? I know it's touch smaller than you're looking though.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I saw this boat a few years ago at the Palm Beach Show. Decent layout, but not any real cabin IIRC. Aren't these the ones made alongside Mastercraft boats?
yes, its Mastercraft's flagship day boats. somewhere between an off-shore fishing boat and a picnic boat

southkogs

Staff member
I saw a couple of MCs prototype builds when they were working on more of "yachts." Dunno' why they devolved to that design. Some of the others were pretty sharp IMHO.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I hear you AD...having always turned my nose up at any 4 stroke outboard boat previously, then just the other year getting a cuddy that had a 2016 new generation merc 4 stroke on it...just for sensible general use, I wasn't expecting much, but the price I paid was a few grand less than the engine would have cost on its own, I couldn't refuse it. Since then...I am just blown away how good these new mercs are...just astonishing. 800 odd hours later...still as new and the power from the thing is unreal. Genuine 43/44 mph gps any day of the week and any load onboard, from a 19/20ft deep v cuddy uk built hull with the 2.1l 115 CT on the back. If just me and hood off and light on fuel, she has seen close to 47 gps. Well known by now that these things put out way more power than the badge on them. big displacement and lightweight things. Their new manufacturing process is a total success story...light years ahead of the rest for sure. This engine of mine is lighter than the 2 stroke it replaced, last I checked...despite being much larger displacement.
I have actually been using her through this winter often. Game changer

Attachments

• C73240F5-E26A-46D1-9C28-C32FEAF2D0FC.jpeg
    C73240F5-E26A-46D1-9C28-C32FEAF2D0FC.jpeg
    327 KB · Views: 15