Maybe my turn for new boat time

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
No one shows up on a screen. There is a phone app which can setup when it shuts off and what happens after.

As before, yes can use passenger fobs but I'm not doing them. If I had a larger boat and doing troll fishing or such, maybe then

I have active trim and smart troll/tow

I have a kill switch also but don't use it
Got you.
Yeah. I’m almost sure that, should anyone (including you) go over the gunnels, it shows the location of the man over board on screen. On the phone at least. Very clever
Might be a different product again, but there is also similar (or could be this) that can immobilise the engines for security. Can remote start too perhaps.
Anyway…best of luck

alldodge

Staff member
Agree Bruce, just don't use the lanyard because I've pulled it trying to grab something that went flying out of the boat, not good. So going the fob this time

Q, It probably does show on the screen with overboard

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Agree Bruce, just don't use the lanyard because I've pulled it trying to grab something that went flying out of the boat, not good. So going the fob this time

Q, It probably does show on the screen with overboard
Sounds like a good add on, either way.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
No one shows up on a screen. There is a phone app which can setup when it shuts off and what happens after.

As before, yes can use passenger fobs but I'm not doing them. If I had a larger boat and doing troll fishing or such, maybe then

I have active trim and smart troll/tow

I have a kill switch also but don't use it
This post got me looking at the electronic man overboard systems. After some research, thinking about the ACR Olas Guardian system. Hear anything about that?

alldodge

Staff member
This post got me looking at the electronic man overboard systems. After some research, thinking about the ACR Olas Guardian system. Hear anything about that?
No have not heard about it, but after reading it seems close to what 1st Mate does.

In reading the ACR Olas Guardian website it also cleared up something with my boat. The Reg is for boats under 26FT, so mine is listed as a 280 but only has a 26.5FT hull. Looks like I'm not required to have one but does, all good

Will add my Simrad displays have a one button to mark a spot like with MOB

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
No have not heard about it, but after reading it seems close to what 1st Mate does.

In reading the ACR Olas Guardian website it also cleared up something with my boat. The Reg is for boats under 26FT, so mine is listed as a 280 but only has a 26.5FT hull. Looks like I'm not required to have one but does, all good

Will add my Simrad displays have a one button to mark a spot like with MOB
My boat LOA is just under 26' so I am in that required length.

alldodge

Staff member
Good luck with that....grand plan to mark "knock downs" while trolling.
20+ years and it's still the last thing I think about when a rod goes down...lol
Agree, it may be able to do it but I wouldn't use it. I'm on an inland lake and can see always see 2 sides and many times 3 sides no matter where I'm at. If in the fog all bets are off :unsure:

Pmt133

Petty Officer 1st Class
Fog is not fun on an inland lake! Or shipping lanes in the ocean.
I got caught in a dense fog on the bay probably 10 years ago. I kid you not when I say visibility was less than 10 feet. The bow of my 19' wasn't clear to me at the helm. Needless to say I finally replaced the compass that leaked all its fluid that year. I was driving what I thought was still the channel and land appeared in front of me (idle speeds). I was very very confused but did get through it.

What scared me more than anything was that I could hear people running along at speed. Even with radar and electronics... I'd never do that in those conditions. I've never experienced anything like that again.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I got caught in a dense fog on the bay probably 10 years ago. I kid you not when I say visibility was less than 10 feet. The bow of my 19' wasn't clear to me at the helm. Needless to say I finally replaced the compass that leaked all its fluid that year. I was driving what I thought was still the channel and land appeared in front of me (idle speeds). I was very very confused but did get through it.

What scared me more than anything was that I could hear people running along at speed.
Even with radar and electronics... I'd never do that in those conditions. I've never experienced anything like that again.

Fog is pretty typical Spring and Fall around here. It’s only a matter of time before you have to deal with it one way or another.

A compass only works if you know where you’re at to begin with, have a chart book available to plot a course, and have the skill to steer a course. A skill set sorely lacking with most boaters…

I could see being scared from inexperience, but there is no reason why you can’t run at speed with confidence with the proper skills and instrumentation, ie radar and chartplotter.

In reality, the guy wondering around blind concerns me far more than the guy running at speed under instrument navigation.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
heavy fog is bad
torrential downpour is bad

at slow speeds, neither my hand-held or dash mount can keep direction, so if you look at my GPS tracks in the past after fog or heavy rain, its just a bunch of small circles. Now I have the dash compass as well

Pmt133

Petty Officer 1st Class
Fog is pretty typical Spring and Fall around here. It’s only a matter of time before you have to deal with it one way or another.

A compass only works if you know where you’re at to begin with, have a chart book available to plot a course, and have the skill to steer a course. A skill set sorely lacking with most boaters…

I could see being scared from inexperience, but there is no reason why you can’t run at speed with confidence with the proper skills and instrumentation, ie radar and chartplotter.

In reality, the guy wondering around blind concerns me far more than the guy running at speed under instrument navigation.
Well thats just it, I did at least think I knew where I was at and what my heading should have been. And it went from sunny to zero visibilty in about 10 seconds. I had a 2 mile straight shot to the ramp to pull for the year and messed up and won't even argue that was 100% on me. Had I not pulled off plane, I probably would've been fine. I suspect I started turning when the drive unloaded when I came down and then it ensued and I got turned around. I did remember to hit the horn at least so people knew someone was out there.

Under normal fog conditions which we get quite often from the barrier island, I'd run with radar and a chart on the 33 and do it all the time though still take it easy... 20-23 knots max instead of 28... The 19 just isn't equipped for those conditions. Well... wasn't. I run chart and compass on that now and avoid days where that would be possible. Though typically visibility still sticks around 100 feet on those "dense fog" days.

Yes. I was the idiot that day. And learned from it.

alldodge

Staff member
Removed one of the panels to cut a hole for the VHF. While doing so I noticed another small panel was loose. All panels are held in using Weld Mount System. The epoxy didn't hold so now need to figure how to repair

https://www.environmentalmarine.com/142040-1420-2-5-studs/

Will need to sand off the old epoxy then add fresh
Wonder if JB Weld will hold or do have to get their epoxy

Attachments

• Panel.jpg
    Panel.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6

alldodge

Staff member
Wurth or RS Hughes will have it
Yes I found them first time out. The issue is they sell the tubes which also need a gun. Big bucks for one standoff.

Using part number MA320 list for marine use and 10:1 mix, but also main use is thermoplastics. I'm bonding Al to Al

Good epoxy will stick to just about anything. Just saying.
That's my thought also but did read JB doesn't have much shear strength