Love, Necessity and Pride

Status
Not open for further replies.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Re: Love, Necessity and Pride

Thanks for the visits, guys...I am really looking forward to this phase of the resto...

Is having the consoles so far back going to make the boat a bit stern heavy?

Well Sir, believe it or not the location of the new consoles is actually in the same plane as the original design...It actually splits almost 50/50 the front to back dimensions...I will also be adding a bit more weight {well discounting the previously waterlogged foam and mulch stringers;)} towards the bow than was originally there with the addition of the second console, much larger front casting deck and the underlying structure to support it, plus I am also planning on installing a battery just forward of each console, the starboard one will be the house battery, the port one will be the Trolling Motor battery...of course they can be switched to either or, depending on the needs at the time...
Just a note, my plans also include the installation of two more batteries in the rear, one will be the engine start, the other simply ballast and/or as a back up...
Wow! did I just start talking about battery placement...don't let Jas get wind of that...:facepalm:

The other thing I have been taking into consideration is that I am actually going to end up with the majority of the stable weight located closer to center than before...considering the fuel tank will be emptying out as I travel, the live well will most likely be full most of the time {located right behind the seating well}, and while moving, all passengers will be in the seating well...of course 300 pounds will always be hanging off of the transom...and finally, this design of hull is really flat near the back half, displacing the majority of its weight back there, which also inherently makes these things so stable when being used as a fishing platform, that 3 people can stand on one side or the other an the boat doesn't list as much as deep V designs...which is also a strike against taking these type of boats out on the Ocean, they don't cut through the waves and their freeboard leaves a lot to be desired in wavy conditions out on big water...

Hampsters working O/T ! Is the front casting deck going to be even with the top cap ? And space between the consoles storage with hinged lid ? SWEET !! The Bassassin GT Custom looks to have plenty move around space . Looks like a real nice plan ! :cool:
Yes, S.P.,
The casting decks, both fore and aft are looking like they are going to be at the top cap level, actually as much as 3/4" of an inch higher, depending on whether I use 3/4" or 1/2" ply for the top deck...the obvious advantages are maximum use of deck space to move around on and maximum use of the space underneath for storage...the main Disadvantage so far is the fact that you can easily step OFF board, but I plan to install a toe kick as a reminder that you are about to get wet...:rolleyes:

I have a couple of wacky ideas for the hinged lids...we'll see how those pan out...a hint: one of them may double as a bait/tackle prep and fillet table...:cool:

Happy Day B4 Friday!:D

craigweaver

Chief Petty Officer

Wow!!! just WOW! Gus, your hamster must be working overtime these days. love the vid by the way :eek:

I really like the console design. I think you'll be able to land F16's on that front fishing deck when you're done... and that rod locker is going to be awesome! I can't wait to this come together.

happy almost Friday brutha!

Monterey Dreams

Chief Petty Officer

Hey Gus,

I got your email, thankx.
The Bassassin is looking great.
I'll call you when I get your way
Dave

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

I hope everyone has had a wonderful Easter.

The highlight of my weekend was doing the A/C on the Admirals car...started 7AM, finished 12 Noon on Saturday...all in all, it went well and it is now blowing Ice...
Had to hang around the shop till about 3PM, while one of the body men was finishing up a frame pull on his cousins car...So I decided to leave him there while I grabbed some lunch and took a ride to good 'ol Harbor Freight to take advantage of some "too good to pass up" specials...among which was a 11'6" X 19'6" silver tarp for the measly sum of 18 bucks...perfect to throw over the Bassassin and keep my cardboard mock ups dry...don't have to drag them in the house after every work session...then back to shop, as he was finishing up, hooked up the boat to bring it home, and called it day...

Spent Sunday taking care of a gunsmithing project on a friends old pump gun...a complete refurbish to bring it back from about 20 years of neglected storage...then a couple hours figuring out a solution to another friends dash board from his truck...had a broken fuel tank selector switch mounting location that was trashed, so I installed some through bolts, bed them in urethane resin and he should be good to go for another hundred thousand miles...:D

Have a super week...:watermelon:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Gus, That's what Friends are For!!!! I looked it up in the dictionary and it had your picture!!!!
images

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Agreed ! Helping others out always come back to ya ten fold !! Glad you got the Admiral cooled down !:)

craigweaver

Chief Petty Officer

My friend you got karma in the bank after this weekend! Glad the admiral is back to stayin cool and ya gots a good deal on new blue elephant, er I mean Bassassin protective cover :lol:

You have a great week as well my Brutha!

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Bassassin is looking great gus! Keep up the good work.

rrumba

Ensign

nice job there Gus. Love the mock ups you got going on. that takes some time right there.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Been a while...not much to report...$$$ tree is somewhat dormant...waiting for new buds to sprout...
So, I have been studying up on computer lingo and have come to the conclusion WYSIWYG, GIGO...:lol:

Tried making a video to add to S.P.'s shining aluminum how to, but the GoPro camera has taken a dump again...until I hear back from them, I am on the hunt for a bigger, yet NLA or NLMfg'd Memory card for my old digital camera...soon as I score one, I'll be able to do some decent vids...

The weather has turned to either hot, sticky and rainy or wet, sizzling and muggy...got the 'ol tub wrapped up dry and tight under a tarp and until fresh building materials are in the house, it will remain that way...kind of like winterizing, Florida style...:rolleyes:

Got most of my cardboard mock ups worked out along with lots of sketches and notes to go with them...I believe I have figured out most of the area forward of the seating as far as basic building blocks are concerned...
The seats rearward is still a work in progress...
The new {to me}, larger fuel tank is being saved up for as of this writing, and a new larger, single livewell is still in the works, along with the rest of the rear "Battery Placement" locations and miscellaneous bilge/aerator pumps and plumbing...

I have a good feeling about the new layout and am really looking forward to getting some pieces/parts cut, glassed and installed...but like I said, waiting for fundage to purchase the goods...

Hope everyone else is getting some good progress made and having a great time doing it...
Have an awesome week!
L8r...:D

sevanseriesta

Petty Officer 1st Class

hey man everything ok, Haven't seen or heard anything from you in weeks... I was wondering how things are going. I can do anything On mine because of the crazy weather. Was hoping to get my fix on yours.....

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Gus, Hope all is well with you, Life has been working me over pretty good too. BF still in winter clothes despite my best efforts. Temps are finally getting into the 90's this weeks so MAYBE I can get her into here Summer Clothes, We'll see. Hope to see you back at it real soon.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Hey fellas,
Thanks for popping in and checking in on me...
I am here almost everyday, trying to help where I can and keep up to date with all the great restores, rebuilds, and remods going on...
Lately, I have been trying to scrape together the next few "Benjamins" to resupply my efforts...even though the light at the end of the tunnel is still a bit on the dim side, I can begin to see it getting brighter...
I have made many plans, cardboard cutouts, done lots of day dreaming, and am making a few boat related purchases along the way, but not much else...although on the bright side, I believe I have a good plan of attack on my next steps...
If the 'dinero' tree flourishes, I should be able to make a major leap forward in getting this old tub closer to being sea worthy...
Hang in there and don't give up on me, I'll be back at it before you know it...
And you know when that update finally does get here, it'll be a doozy!:D

Last Mohican

Chief Petty Officer

I think a lot of us are short on funds at the moment. My Daytona project took a big turn. What was going to be a small powder coat project has just about turned into a complete re-rig.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

I think a lot of us are short on funds at the moment. My Daytona project took a big turn. What was going to be a small powder coat project has just about turned into a complete re-rig.

Ain't that the truth...I have been following along with your trials and tribulations...but hey, it is all looking spectacular!

Warbringer

Cadet

All I have to say is WOW! I started at the beginning of this thread 4 days ago, I have learned so much. I would like to thank you for giving me the confidence to dive head long into my boat resto. :)

jmmacky

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hang in there GT! I know how you feel...moments of massive self-doubt at the amount of money having to be spent and the seemingly endless list of things that needs to be done in order to get the project to the finish line. Just concentrate on one little job at a time and you will get there. Your boat building is top quality!

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

All I have to say is WOW! I started at the beginning of this thread 4 days ago, I have learned so much. I would like to thank you for giving me the confidence to dive head long into my boat resto. :)

WOW! I can't believe you have been able to put up with my long winded and very drawn out restoration, but I must say Thank You!for taking the time to do so and a Hearty Welcome to the Forum...
Be 100% assured that anything you need as far as the best information on how to get your boat done right, is available here from the many awesome folks who freely give of their time and knowledge to help us all...without them, none of this would have been possible...
I'll be looking forward to jumping aboard your restoration thread as soon as you get it going...
Best of luck and have fun!

Hang in there GT! I know how you feel...moments of massive self-doubt at the amount of money having to be spent and the seemingly endless list of things that needs to be done in order to get the project to the finish line. Just concentrate on one little job at a time and you will get there. Your boat building is top quality!

Thank you, Sir...your sentiments are highly appreciated and while I know that there are going to be tough times ahead, as much as the ones that have already passed...with the help and encouragement of all the great guys here, a little good luck every now and again, and a few prayers sent to the Good Lord above, this restoration will reach the inevitable conclusion of being completed!
On that everyone can be assured!
:D

Decker83

Commander

Can't wait to see more updates.. I know you have some more great ideals..

Hope and pray that the dinero tree finds plenty of fertilizer and flourishes into a monster of a tree...:peace:

Status
Not open for further replies.