Love, Necessity and Pride

Status
Not open for further replies.

craigweaver

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Love, Necessity and Pride

Looks good Gus!! enjoy the R&R, I'd say you've earned it lately.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Thanks for dropping by, guys...encouragement is always welcome!

Now to what has happened...:eek:

Wait...first I have to backtrack a bit...

Yesterday, when I started installing the first 8 foot long nailer on the starboard side, I must have been in La-La Land...because I came to realize, a little later, when I was mixing up the next batches of resin and PB, that I dropped a decimal point in my MEK-P calculation...meaning, I only added 1/10 of what I needed to...instead of .01, I only added .001 :faint2:

Well I decided I wasn't going to panic and just let it be and kept on going, this time using the correct mix...my thinking was twofold...I knew I had mixed everything very thoroughly and the Florida Sun can actually be a benefit in a situation like this...

To say I didn't sleep too well last night is a bit of an understatement, as I kept picturing myself going back to the shop today and having to remove all the soft PB and CSM, cleaning the mess up and doing it over...

Lo and behold, my theory panned out and everything cured solid overnight...PHEW!:dance:

So, I proceeded to sand off the hairy bits and recoat any exposed wood with some resin...properly kicked of course...:rolleyes:

Here are the finished nailers...

DSCF2751.jpg

DSCF2752.jpg

More to come...

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Now to Re-Cap...

After almost 18 months, it is good to know that following the advice of the members here on Iboats, I have done my due diligence and made it possible to reunite the cap perimeter to the hull, pretty much problem free...

DSCF2754.jpg

DSCF2762.jpg

DSCF2761.jpg

DSCF2753.jpg

Pretty amazing fit, actually I think it is better than the original fit...go figure...

Only one small caveat, which I had been halfway expecting and figured it was just one more of the many modifications I would have to make...heck, after all this, I think its pretty minor...

The splash well has a dip in the center of it to channel water out the center and the new stern eye u-bolts and backers interfere with the cap sitting completely down in the back...

You can just make out the "green" Backers...

DSCF2759.jpg

DSCF2758.jpg

Even though it is only temporary, and will probably come off and go back on a couple more times before it becomes permanent...It feels like a pretty large milestone...

Well, that is all for this weekend update, hope everyone has had good progress and may the upcoming week fly by and be trouble free...Hurry up Friday!

jbcurt00

Staff member

Looking great GT

Any word on the next installment in the GT Custom interior modification's series? :frog:

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Looking great GT

Any word on the next installment in the GT Custom interior modification's series? :frog:

Now that I have the old cap back on, I have a better frame of reference for where I'll be laying stuff out...
Next week I'll be tackling a not-so-fun job on the Admirals car...replacing the A/C compressor, condenser, expansion valve and dryer, along with a complete flush, vacuum and fill...wouldn't be so bad except for the fact that I have to loosen and lower the front Stub frame, while holding the engine up to get the compressor out and in, plus removing the front bumper assembly to get the condenser out and in...:twitch::stung:
Hopefully, after that mission is accomplished, the following weekend will see a pretty big push on the Bassassin's restyled interior...
Stay tuned...:cool:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Nice re-capitation ! Btw I am in awe of the hull paint every time I see it .. And don,t feel bad I have to do the same thing to my wife's car but I am paying someone to do it . If I did it antifreeze would prolly squirt out instead of cold air ! :eek: :D

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I don't see Nuttin that a Grinder and some "Gussin" won't have fixed in a Jiffy!!!! I bet it felt REAL GOOD when that cap drop on that nice!!!! But... I would have expected nothin less!!!! Great Job my Brutha!!!!!

craigweaver

Chief Petty Officer

Well done brutha GUS!!! You are proving that careful planning and hard work DO pay dividends.... Good luck on the Admiral's ride. If you moved up here you wouldn't have to worry about that job for another month or 2 :eek:

Trooper82

Commander

That looks awesome man!

for all you did, if just the transom eye bold and plates bnding a little, I think you did excellent....

congrats on reaching this milestone!!!

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Shop has slowed down to a turtle riding on a snail's back pace, so I asked the boss and he said, "Sure, bring the boat and keep yourself entertained"...so I took his advice and dragged it over...

Been
th
ING...and this is what I have so far...
Hopefully the pics do some of 'splainin...

Seating area mock-up...

GOPR0029.jpg

GOPR0027.jpg

And a couple more details worked out in the forward area...

GOPR0023.jpg

GOPR0022.jpg

Took all day just to work this much out, but I almost have a structural plan worked out and might be able to start cutting some wood within the next week or so...

Doesn't seem like much, but believe me, it has the hamster running full blast...

Happy Humpday!:D

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

I love the dimensions of your mock-up... big, comfy front casting deck... (going to be a great platform to fish from).

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Hampsters working O/T ! Is the front casting deck going to be even with the top cap ? And space between the consoles storage with hinged lid ? SWEET !! The Bassassin GT Custom looks to have plenty move around space . Looks like a real nice plan ! :cool:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Looking great GT, Admiral & I love the hamster video....

BonairII

Commander

Is having the consoles so far back going to make the boat a bit stern heavy?

Decker83

Commander

It's starting to come together for you Gus.. Looks great.. Can tell you have been hard working the hamster..
BTW the vid was great..
Hope all goes well on the replacement of the A/C on the Admirals car.. Sounds like its going to be a all day adventure..

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Is having the consoles so far back going to make the boat a bit stern heavy?

Totally defer to Gus on this one. However, I was curious about that too.... Looked at some pics and remembered that these true bass rigs are business in the back, party in the front...

images.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.