Love, Necessity and Pride

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trooper82

Commander
Re: Love, Necessity and Pride

I really like the V shaped design ! Looks like the bottom rods are way more accessible than the first design . Nothing worse than a tangled up set of rods when your favorite spot is jumpin !:mad::)

SP took the words I was going to put down...that looks good GT!

Decker83

Commander

Looks good GT1M.. Might want to make another bulk head at the ends of the pvc to help keep them all in line..
I think you wouldn't want to go to much smaller on the pvc to prevent breaking off any eye's on the rods..
I agree with the time change too. More daylight after work..
Have a good week..

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

I look in on your progress every now and then and I can see your still in the design phase. SOme good ideas to phyically see how things will actually fit instead of paper layouts. Not a bad idea. I too have to design thing on paper first but then after building a little the design migrates to a different level after seeing my initial design needs updated... I guess that is how lots of ideas take shape though. Keep on working. I'll check back in a day or three... Cardboard is so cheap to work with...okay it is free!

Yep gm280, the fact that I can actually see the space required to make all these ideas fit the boat make a world of difference...My goal is to hopefully get it all laid out to my satisfaction before I ever start cutting any type of permanent materials...And when that time comes, it should move along pretty quickly, since I won't have much figuring left to do...

Nice work, just let the hamster loose on his wheel & see what comes of it... I'm sure it'll turn out great!

I like the progression of rod holder types.

I really like the V shaped design ! Looks like the bottom rods are way more accessible than the first design . Nothing worse than a tangled up set of rods when your favorite spot is jumpin !:mad::)

SP took the words I was going to put down...that looks good GT!

Looks good GT1M.. Might want to make another bulk head at the ends of the pvc to help keep them all in line..
I think you wouldn't want to go to much smaller on the pvc to prevent breaking off any eye's on the rods..
I agree with the time change too. More daylight after work..
Have a good week..

Thanks for the words of encouragement, fellas...
Just a footnote...
In the 5th pic of the PVC tubes, they look kind of set at a bunch of funky angles...well there is actually a method to the madness...
In picture number "3", they are all pointing in the shape of the "V", however that was causing the rod tips to bend at a weird angle, which is why the 5th pic shows the tubes at that wonky angle...lets the tips ride straighter...
As far as another bulkhead to help keep them in line...If the need arises for one, you can bet there will be one, but another method to my mad thinking is that when everything is set and good to go, I was planning to "LOCK them in place with pour foam...
I also have in mind to build a second "V"-shaped support to add to the rearmost part of the locker to help support the rod butts...sort of cradle the reels between the two supports...
Finally, I have a trick up my sleeve when I reach a final design that will be applied to the PVC tubes to hopefully lessen the chances of braking off any guides...
But that is still a ways off, so we'll see...

Have a fast week everyone!:D

craigweaver

Chief Petty Officer

Sweet mockup's there Gus! I really love the rod locker ideas. I like the way you're trying to utilize the space more efficiently.

Keep it man, we're both flyin now...

Seasonally.boating.jon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sup GT. Just catching up on your thread. I beleave I went back to page 61 and started reading....got to some pics and passed out after seeing the cap.:laugh: All I got to say is....DUDE THAT IS MAJOR. Major customization.

Better get a patent for that deck design. Very nice, GT, I cann't wait for the offical lay-ups.

appleo

Petty Officer 1st Class

whta was the model brand and year of your boat? I dont see much wood. Are the stringers glass

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

whta was the model brand and year of your boat? I dont see much wood. Are the stringers glass

It's a 1988, 17' Pro Bass(?)...
Stringers are 3/4" A/C Fir Plywood covered in Fiberglass...

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Yep I would call it the 2013 Bassassin GT Custom !!! Kinda ketchy huh !:cool:

Decker83

Commander

It sounds good to me.. 2013/14 bassassin GT custom will be one awesome boat, that's for sure..:rockon::hail::clap2:

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Yikes!

Out of curiosity....why is this resto taking so long to complete?

Fundage, Life, Time availability, 1000's of other to dos involving family and friends...oh yeah and working conditions...sometimes I can get it to the shop, other times I have to work under a blazing Sun, pouring rain, or in a sweltering tarp, none of which are very conducive to working with cardboard or fiberglass resin (kick times can be reduced to less than 5 minutes, even @ .5% when the temps are hovering around a hundred or so...)...all the modifications I am doing to the cap are also a bit of a slow process, actual times when I have the time, but don't feel like it...:rolleyes:
Other times I can get stuff done if I can score an assistant, because climbing in and out of the boat carrying a 5 pound, soggy piece of resin soaked cloth can be a bit of a pain...so if I can't get a buddy to help, I am kind of stuck...

Plus, what's the rush...its boating and fishing season pretty much year round down here...:watermelon:

I could go on, but you start to get the picture...
And hey, where else you gonna get all this free entertainment...:lol:

Happy Humpday, Guys!

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Fundage, Life, Time availability, 1000's of other to dos involving family and friends...oh yeah and working conditions...sometimes I can get it to the shop, other times I have to work under a blazing Sun, pouring rain, or in a sweltering tarp, none of which are very conducive to working with cardboard or fiberglass resin (kick times can be reduced to less than 5 minutes, even @ .5% when the temps are hovering around a hundred or so...)...all the modifications I am doing to the cap are also a bit of a slow process, actual times when I have the time, but don't feel like it...:rolleyes:
Other times I can get stuff done if I can score an assistant, because climbing in and out of the boat carrying a 5 pound, soggy piece of resin soaked cloth can be a bit of a pain...so if I can't get a buddy to help, I am kind of stuck...

Plus, what's the rush...its boating and fishing season pretty much year round down here...:watermelon:

I could go on, but you start to get the picture...
And hey, where else you gonna get all this free entertainment...:lol:

Happy Humpday, Guys!

I think you forgot a few things:

(1) Careful planning;
(2) Not getting impatient and cutting corners;
(3) Documenting the work for all to see;
(4) Having a good time and enjoying the ride :)

Great work, Gus. Keep it up.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Maybe we could settle for an early release 2014 GT Custom... Gotta :juggle: all that gives us the support & funding we need for this little adventure we call boat rehab.........

And keeping the Admiral happy is always a priority. <<--- I could stand to take more of my own advice on this front.... :fish:

. For now a promise of 8 days at the beach in June for her b-day will have to sustain us :sorry: mini hi-jack over:pirate:

Besides, after how absolutely, fantastically, and the insane hull paint turned out, after rehab/repair & etc, :jaw: who'd want the cap work to be rushed. Creating always takes longer then the tearing apart...........

Esp at this level :clap2:

craigweaver

Chief Petty Officer

^^^ I'm with JBC on this one ^^^ especially the part about forgetting to keep the Admiral happy

Beside's what would we do with all the spare time we'd have if we didn't have these projects? I for one know trouble would just be following me around like a cat after an open can of tuna :eek:

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

All-righty then...finally got this little mission accomplished...well almost...:rolleyes:

Finished installing the rest of the nailers with PB and CSM, and left the old tub at the shop to cure...

DSCF2746.jpg

DSCF2747.jpg

DSCF2750.jpg

I will go back tomorrow and grind off all of the offending, stiff, hairy particles sticking up all over the place, and give any RE-exposed wood a little resin love...:joyous:

As for today, I am whipped...its been a long hard week and I am ready for some R&R and a couple of frosty libations!

Hope everyone is having an awesome weekend of boat restoration progress...

I'll holler back after tomorrow's grind & resin session...:D

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Well deserved R and R Gus ! A guy can never have enough clamps can he ! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.