I have returned... with a Starcraft this time!

BWR1953

Admiral
Thanks guys. It's been a long time coming!

Won't be working on the boat today. Just gonna let it sit and bake in the closed up garage. Majic says to wait 24 hours for a second coat and that wouldn't be until 8pm tonight anyway so letting it cook is what I'm gonna do.

Weather is supposed to be good tomorrow so I'll put on a second coat then. I'm not totally sure that I have enough paint though, so will be considering some options.

After I'm done painting the white, I'll wait probably a week before starting on the black. Once I've completed the black, I'm going to let the hull sit for a month or so. I want it fully cured before I flip it back over and onto the trailer. I'd hate to go through all this effort only to have the paint messed up from being put onto the trailer too early.

I have PLENTY to do for the KF while awaiting the paint to cure.

Went out this morning and the paint is smooth and glossy. No sanding needed. Whew! :whistle:

But I do still have much room for improvement for my painting technique. There are a few light areas where I didn't fully squeeze the trigger while spraying. How depressing! :rolleyes: :tongue-new:

01.jpg

04.jpg

Attachments

• 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    357.9 KB · Views: 0

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Alright get out of there, I know gazing upon ones work is gratifying but going in and out your gonna stir up dust! :D

BWR1953

Admiral
Alright get out of there, I know gazing upon ones work is gratifying but going in and out your gonna stir up dust! :D

That's exactly what I told my wife and the boy. Stay out and let it cure.

Ol' Murphy threw enough troubles my way. Bad health, medication issues, health emergencies, bad weather and finally a tropical storm! Jeez, enough already! :lol:

Our weather seems to be getting back to the normal pattern. But for now, time to let it rest. Tomorrow is another day. :)

RStewart

Seaman
Looks really good BWR. Glad to see you getting a chance to play with your new toys, uh I mean tools.

ab59

Ensign
I hear you about the health issues brother and I say an Amen to that. That is a great job you have shot there , sure could not see any issues from the pics . Got to think that after the second coat she will look like she just came off the dealers floor.
5 gold stars be your pay.

Decker83

Commander
All your hard work is really paying off my friend.. The paint job looks awesome.. :yo:

BWR1953

Admiral
Just sitting in the garage waiting now. My wife is at the store getting some acetone for after i finish painting. The boy is in the house getting cold packs for our necks, a la cowboy bandanas.

And I'm image_292082.jpg just staring at the KF which is waiting for me to start the second coat.

BWR1953

Admiral
Guys, I'm discouraged. Bummed. Bluer than blue. :blue:

The boy and I worked virtually all day getting ready to shoot the second coat on the KF. That included running errands to pick up more paint and the storage box for the LVLP gun kit that I ordered a week or so ago. And that box won't work because it's too freakin' small. The measurements were for the outside of the box, not the inside. Duh. :rolleyes:

We both worked really hard in the heat of the day today getting ready for the shoot. The boy took care of the bugs and I took care of the runs and sags that we found on the first coat. Not many of them but plenty of wet sanding.

All in vain. For some reason I just couldn't get the spray pattern correct tonight. I ended up stopping while only part way done. Called it a night and went back in the house.

OH! I also had a major sag happen while I was spraying and I tried to stop it with a paper towel. Ah, jeez. The short story is that I did manage to get it wiped off with acetone and a tissue. I cleaned it at a break line along one of the "strakes" so it is hidden. Man, oh man. :grumpy:

So heres today's story.

First bug of the day.
Click image for larger version  Name:	1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	219.4 KB ID:	10584102

A new gallon of paint purchased, along with a big mixing bucket.
Click image for larger version  Name:	2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	380.1 KB ID:	10584105

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    373.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    380.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 0
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    432.4 KB · Views: 0

ab59

Ensign
can't see inside your Hvlp but I would make sure that the gun is really clean. I have two or three here and most of my problems with them have been that i did not get the gun clean enough so the paint and or gel coat would not go on smoothly.
Not sayin that this is your problem but it would be a likely place to start looking.
Hopefully the paint will flow out and not look so granular in the morning . Still don't look bad to me though.

BWR1953

Admiral
G'mornin' guys.

I was laying in bed about 0630 this morning, thinking about the issue.

Maybe I didn't have enough reducer and the paint was too thick? I'd mixed the paint but it sat open for awhile before the shoot. And I did a lot of spray pattern testing/adjustment before the shoot. Maybe the reducer evaporated off?

I watched a YouTube video this morning that showed the "correct" paint thickness for spraying and mine was more like the thick stuff than the thinner stuff.

This pic that I took this morning shows some bumpy areas and some slicker areas. The bumpy areas don't feel rough to the touch like sandpaper. They're still smooth feeling but bumpy. Dunno if it's my technique or where I'd changed spray settings but I definitely like the slick areas much better!

1.jpg

BWR1953

Admiral
can't see inside your Hvlp but I would make sure that the gun is really clean. I have two or three here and most of my problems with them have been that i did not get the gun clean enough so the paint and or gel coat would not go on smoothly.
Not sayin that this is your problem but it would be a likely place to start looking.
Hopefully the paint will flow out and not look so granular in the morning . Still don't look bad to me though.

I'm using an LVLP gun and I'd cleaned it pretty well after the last shoot.

But yesterday, prior to applying the second coat, I'd spent over an hour scrupulously cleaning every bit of the gun using acetone, brushes and toothpicks where appropriate. I think it was pretty spotless but WTH, I just don't know anymore. :noidea:

It's so frustrating. :confused:

BWR1953

Admiral
Just got back from Tractor Supply. Bought more reducer because I'd used it all up yesterday anyway.

This is the video I saw this morning showing thick and thin paint. The stuff I shot yesterday was definitely more like the thick stuff in the video.

I recall that when I was shooting some acetone yesterday, for final gun cleaning prior to using the paint, that the fan spread was wide and very finely atomized. But that was to be expected with acetone. The paint didn't even come close to that level.

BWR1953

Admiral
Okay, I'm postponing painting the boat any further and going back into research and experimentation mode!

It's raining today anyway.

Listen guys, I followed the directions on the can explicitly. One pint of Majic Reducer per gallon of Majic Enamel. The paint was too thick.

And in my research this morning I found something interesting. The one pint/gallon ratio is for an airless sprayer. At 2000PSI. :eek:

For a conventional sprayer, up to TWO pints of reducer are necessary! And that info is not on the can! :rant:

It's all about VOC limits and regulations and whatnot. :rolleyes:

So my research continues... And I will also be experimenting with other thinning agents besides or in addition to the Majic Reducer. I read one post that Bondo made on a DIY forum where he uses Xylene. Others have used Naptha. I'm gonna check things out by experimenting on the KF seat bases. Each base currently has 3 sides, so I'll paint them with the SE primer followed by the regular gray primer, then different paint/thinner combos.

I'll get this boat painted the way I want it yet! :lol:

20180522_125234a.jpg

And the SDS info:
Majic paint thinning with Majic Reducer.jpg

Attachments

• 20180522_125237a.jpg
    20180522_125237a.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 1

ab59

Ensign
Sounds like you may have found the problem . There is certainly a huge difference between one pint and two pints of thinner !! Here's to the thinner paint being perfect and laying down smoooooothhhhhh and glossy .

BWR1953

Admiral
Sounds like you may have found the problem . There is certainly a huge difference between one pint and two pints of thinner !! Here's to the thinner paint being perfect and laying down smoooooothhhhhh and glossy .
Yahhh! There was one post I read from a fella who'd been using enamel on cars for 30+ years. He said he could get it to lay down as smooth as glass with no orange peel.

I wish! :lol: