I have returned... with a Starcraft this time!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Dude, yer killin' me! Those are some mighty fine lookin' fish!

And at the rate I'm going, I'll be lucky to have the KF on the water again by 2525. :lol:

Naw you got this, besides you have a Chief to knock out too!

Seeing how you target the panfish I thought you'd enjoy seeing some of the tasty little treats. At least I didn't post a pic of the panfish lake, where some big bass are too, ya know to drive you over top :lol: ...

BWR1953

Admiral
Naw you got this, besides you have a Chief to knock out too!

Seeing how you target the panfish I thought you'd enjoy seeing some of the tasty little treats. At least I didn't post a pic of the panfish lake, where some big bass are too, ya know to drive you over top :lol: ...

My wife is the panfish fanatic. I'm a bass guy. Been a lifetime member of B.A.S.S for well over 30 years. I was told when I was a younger man that I should have gone pro on the B.A.S.S circuit.

I just need to get the KF done so that I can get on the water and find the finny beasties! ;)

The Chief. Ah, the Chief... someday. :joyous:

BWR1953

Admiral
More work done today. The boat is now ready for color paint.

Both sides of the hull sanded.
2.jpg

My wife helped the boy and me lower the hull. The new position will make better access for correct spraying.
5.jpg

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    372.5 KB · Views: 0

ab59

Ensign
Sorry to hear your health is giving you problems but no need to get er done yesterday anyway. Looks like you are making good progress even feeling under the weather . Your getting more done than me that's for sure .
Primer looks good , I'm watching to see your paint job, maybe I'll learn something .
A little a day and it will be splash time before you know it. Keep on Keepin on .

BWR1953

Admiral
Rain, rain, go away. I want to paint the boat today!

But it just ain't gonna happen. Rain in the forecast for the next week AND possible tropical storm development. This early?? WTH?? :mad:

BWR1953

Admiral
Sorry to hear your health is giving you problems but no need to get er done yesterday anyway. Looks like you are making good progress even feeling under the weather . Your getting more done than me that's for sure .
Primer looks good , I'm watching to see your paint job, maybe I'll learn something .
A little a day and it will be splash time before you know it. Keep on Keepin on .
Yeah, the sad thing is that, of myself and all my buddies, I was always the big, strong guy in the group. No more. Ugh. :mad-new:

BWR1953

Admiral
Guys, I have an opportunity to buy this dual air tank setup for fitty-bux. Cheap! Those 11 gallon tanks are $40/each at HF. And the 1/2" plywood is probably another $25-30 or so.

None of the fittings or hoses are included but the box is, so it's just the tanks and the box. Even so, the price seems great. ;)

It looks like a good way to increase my available volume of air for spraying. I know that it doesn't change the CFM but jumping up from 8 gallons to 30 gallons of air is a significant increase. And I know that my compressor will take longer to fill the larger volume but that's not really an issue for me. Due to my own physical limitations, I can't stand up and paint for long anyway. So while I'm taking a breather, the compressor can refill. No data available for the compressor duty cycle but a guideline I read somewhere is that if it takes over 10 minutes to fill, shut it off and let it cool for 15 minutes before restarting.

As usual, I've been doing lots of reading about adding a tank to an existing setup. And as usual, I'm getting conflicting information.

My compressor and 8 gallon tank are rated to 125PSI and the 11 gallon tanks are also rated at 125PSI. Some folks say that the extra tanks need to be rated higher than the compressor can produce. Others say if they're equal "You're good to go!" Which is correct?

And should I jump on the deal? It's more than an hour each way to the seller's location. 100 miles round trip. Fuel cost to pick them up will likely be $25 - $30. Hmmm... the more I think about it as I type, the less attractive it seems. Maybe I'd be better off just getting a single tank from my local HF instead. That would give me more than double the air storage than I have now anyway. What to do? :noidea:

Air Tanks.jpg

BWR1953

Admiral
I passed on the tanks. Texted the seller this morning and let him know the fuel cost situation and he had no problems.

Now I'm back to square one.

It's been raining here every day for almost 2 weeks now, with very high humidity most of the time. And the forecast is the same for the next 7 days. Ugh. :mad:

There is supposed to be about an 8 hour window today from 11am to 7pm where the humidity is forecast to be down to "paintable" levels so I think I'll do a little testing on the console again. I want to be sure that the Majic color paint won't react negatively with the Rust-Oleum gray primer. If I have to, I'll switch to Rust-Oleum farm paint.

BWR1953

Admiral
I tried. I really did. :mad:

Got the console sanded while I was waiting for my buddy (safety monitor) to arrive. The console needed very little sanding. It was much smoother than the boat hull. I barely swiped the 800 grit sandpaper across the surface and it was perfect.

My bud arrived bringing lunch, then turned around and left because he had to help his son. On my own again. :blue:

I sat there and fed my face for a few minutes and the weather suddenly went bad again. The temperature dropped 10 degrees in just a few minutes while the humidity jumped back up to 90% again! Arrgghhh! :yell:

So I finished lunch and came back into the house.

Before:
1.jpg

An hour later:
2.jpg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 0

Watermann

Drag that KF up here to E WA State and we'll get it knocked out in one day. :D

Perfect painting weather with a little added reducer.

Attachments

• photo291208.jpg
    photo291208.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 0

BWR1953

Admiral
Drag that KF up here to E WA State and we'll get it knocked out in one day. :D

Perfect painting weather with a little added reducer.

Oh man, 28% would be awesome! The humidity here got down to 53% just minutes before the rains came again this afternoon. Right now it's 72 degrees and 99% humidity outside.

And this is happening. More rain. Great. :rolleyes:

ts1.png

Watermann

Hey you got some paint on finally!

Don't be shy with that paint, getting a feel for how much to put on so it lays flat without sags or runs takes some practice and a good eye.

BWR1953

Admiral
This is how the paint looks this morning. Smooth and glossy. And it's just the first coat! :D

The test yesterday was to see if the Majic paint (without hardener) would "craze" or otherwise react with the Rustoleum primer. And the paint worked perfectly! No rough areas anywhere and didn't react in any negative way with the primer.

I'm a happy camper! :joyous:

Yes indeed, I still have much to learn about gun settings and painting techniques. And only experience can give me the good eye that I sorely need. :cool:

Although the paint is smooth and glossy, it does have some minor orange peel. It's not terrible and if it was on a garden trailer, I'd leave it alone.

But the KF is a training ground for me so that I'll be more prepared when the time comes to work on the Chieftain.

I'll probably sand it out some with 1500 - 2000 grit paper later today before applying the second coat. From what I've read, waiting too long to sand and recoat is just as bad as not waiting long enough. I did go out a few minutes ago to check and the paint seems dry but it is soft. I tested in an inconspicuous spot with my fingernail and it easily scraped off. I remember when I did the roll paint test with the hardener that my fingernail couldn't dent the paint. Sigh. :rolleyes:

I did some more reading this morning and a few things likely contributed to having the orange peel show up. All of them operator error on my part.
  1. Air pressure too low in the spray gun. I had it set at 18-19PSI with the trigger pulled. I'll increase next time.
  2. Spray gun too far from the work sometimes.
  3. Possible insufficient reducer in the mix. For the life of me, I can't remember if I put in 1 or 2 tablespoons to the 8 ounces of paint. I do remember adding 1 and I also remember carefully cleaning the measuring spoon though. And I was thinking that it didn't look "thin" enough.
  4. Not enough pattern testing. I find that I become impatient when testing and apparently don't examine the pattern closely enough or make enough adjustments. Something I'll have to overcome. Maybe by dedicating a half cup of paint for testing only. Better to get the droplets small enough and patterned correctly on the test material than to quickly apply the wrong settings and paint the boat parts.

All that being said, the first coat is definitely glossy!
2.jpg

3.jpg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    304.7 KB · Views: 1

Monmouth00

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well done!! Paint looks great. I hope you have similar success with the hull.

I understand having patience with the weather, believe me. I lost count of how many weeks I lost over the winter due to snow storms, power outages, broken garage heaters, yadda, yadda, yadda.

One day the skies will clear and you'll be back at it full steam.

Keep it up!

Watermann

That second coat is a tough one, be sure to have as much light as possible as there's NO color difference, only sheen of the fresh paint.

BWR1953

Admiral
I went out this afternoon to check on things. The paint had hardened up nicely! I guess being locked up in the garage under the hot Florida sun helped out. The paint even passed the fingernail test! :)

There was more orange peel than I noticed before. But that's okay. It was my first time. :p
8.jpg

I'd hoped to be able to spray another coat tonight but it just wasn't meant to be. There were clouds on the horizon.
Literally! :lol: We're getting really clobbered right now.
9.jpg

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 0