I have returned... with a Starcraft this time!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I use Naptha 1oz to 8oz of paint and mix well with a drill paint stirring paddle. That was shooting at 75 degrees.

Another thing that causes sudden and unexplained issues that happened to me was a quick disconnect fitting at the compressor for some reason became an air flow volume restriction and had to be replaced. I was at a loss on how all my gun settings would not produce the proper pattern and coverage, it was like a spackle gun. I didn't shoot the paint on anything but cardboard until I figured it out though.

BWR1953

Admiral
By 0730 this morning it was already 80 degrees and 99% humidity.

Sure, the humidity dropped later, but I ain't agoin' out there! :lol:
2.jpg
(Date/time incorrect - it was about 1130 this morning.)

I did receive my HVLP spray gun cleaning kit this afternoon. According to the ad, it was supposed to have a case but it didn't. Still working that issue.
1.jpg

BWR1953

Admiral
I use Naptha 1oz to 8oz of paint and mix well with a drill paint stirring paddle. That was shooting at 75 degrees.

Another thing that causes sudden and unexplained issues that happened to me was a quick disconnect fitting at the compressor for some reason became an air flow volume restriction and had to be replaced. I was at a loss on how all my gun settings would not produce the proper pattern and coverage, it was like a spackle gun. I didn't shoot the paint on anything but cardboard until I figured it out though.

Ah yes, the voice of experience! ;)

My problem is that I don't always understand what I'm seeing with the spray pattern. ("Looks good enough to me!" comes to mind. :rolleyes:)

Why don't y'all bring those Mark 1 calibrated eyeballs down here and 'splain it to me! :lol:

Ya know, I finally gave away that nasty old storage shed a couple weeks ago. I could have practiced on that thing. And about that same time there were a bunch of single gallon cans of latex house paint for sale on C/L for 5 bucks apiece. But they were 30 miles away so I didn't bother. Ah, well. :cool:

Decker83

Commander

BWR1953

Admiral
It was 94 degrees here today. No boatee workee. :lol:

Maybe tomorrow. :cool:

But I did go to Wally World and bought one of those electrified paint stir stick thingys while I was there. :joyous:
1.jpg

BWR1953

Admiral
Did you thin the second coat of paint the same as the first coat? The first coat went on over a freshly sanded primer. Did you do any sanding to the first coat before applying the second coat?
Over in the Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair there is a thread by Woodonglass that has a very detailed information on Majic paint
and how to paint your boat under $100.00. You should give Woodonglass a pm. He is great at this stuff. His boat is a glasser but it looks like it
a glass finnish.

Yes, I thinned it the same way. The biggest thing was that I just couldn't get the spray pattern right this time. I've read WoG's tutorial on painting, which is why I used the Majic tractor paint. Good stuff. I didn't sand any of the first coat other than the sags I found.

The boy and I went out to the garage for a short while this morning while I checked out the boat. The bumpy areas are definitely dry compared to other areas, but not rough like sandpaper. Heavy duty orange peel I suppose. Fortunately, it's on the bottom of the hull and won't be noticeable. The goal is to get my skill level up before I paint the rest of the boat! ;)

And to get the paint thinned correctly! :rolleyes:

While I was at Wally World today I remembered that I needed to buy a cheap gallon of paint to use for practice. Then after buying my other stuff I totally forgot the paint... while I was in the paint section! :facepalm:

BWR1953

Admiral
Oh yeah, I also found out that Majic Reducer is 60-65% Benzene and 35-40% Acetone. Both with very high evaporation rates.

I'll pick up some Naphtha to test with as well since it evaporates more slowly. :)

BWR1953

Admiral
Man, we've had some serious storms here today! Knocked out our cable for 5-6 hours. The boy was whining big time. :rolleyes:

By 0930 I thought it was all over so the boy and I jumped in the car to make a loop of HD, WM and TS. Didn't happen! As we were cruising along towards HD, I saw deep, dark clouds in that direction. No problemo, I just turned around and headed towards WM, which was only a mile away. By the time we got into the parking lot the storm was already super close. Time to go to TS instead! :lol:

So a few minutes later we arrive at Tractor Supply and hustle inside to pick up some naphtha. We were in and out of the store in less than 2 minutes and it was already sprinkling! I'm talking less than 10 minutes from the time we originally turned around. :eek:

We drove through the heavy stuff with all the lightning and whatnot on the way home and arrived during a slowdown. Right after that it started pouring and booming again.

So no boat work expected today. And who knows how it's going to stack up for the next week. Forecast isn't good.

A little naphtha.
1.jpg

And a LOT of storms!
2.jpg

BWR1953

Admiral
I received the replacement spray gun cleaning kit today. This one does have the case!

3.jpg

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    803.9 KB · Views: 0

Decker83

Commander
I used paint thinner when I sprayed the rustoleum and thinned it by 25 percent..
I sure thought you had it going your way on the first coat of majic paint.
I would give the hull a scuff with scotch brite before the next coat.

BWR1953

Admiral
I used paint thinner when I sprayed the rustoleum and thinned it by 25 percent..
I sure thought you had it going your way on the first coat of majic paint.
I would give the hull a scuff with scotch brite before the next coat.

Yeah, I was thinking that I'd scuff it just a little. Weather seems to be improving so maybe I can do some testing tomorrow.

ab59

Ensign
Those storms seem to just keep coming huh, all we have to worry about in California is an occasional earthquake

Mod EDIT: political comment removed

Last edited by a moderator:

BWR1953

Admiral
Well, today started out really, really bad but ended very nicely!

I felt like total carp this morning. Dizzy, woozy, weak, etc. It's been building up for 4 or 5 days now. Hit me really hard today. I felt worse than I have for weeks. And the weather had finally improved too.

So there was only one thing to do. Go work on the KF. Which I did! About 1130 I took an Aleve and we headed out! :D

The boy and I were out there for about 4 hours today. I wet-sanded the boat with 2000 grit W/D paper and sometimes 800 grit followed by 2000 grit. Got 3/4 of it done before I got too tired and had to take a break. The plan was to go into the house and cool down, then a shower and a nap. Worked out that way plus more.

After I'd showered and was just heading for a little nap, my wife texted me that she was coming home. So I told her to hurry up and join me! She got home 15 minutes later and said that she wanted to go fishing and that she'd buy the dinner! Nap first, then fishing! So that's what we did.

I listened to Decker and my local buddy and went ahead and started wet-sanding the whole boat. Nearly finished. Should be able to get the last 1/4 done tomorrow.
1.jpg

This is a local lake. The canal connects to the launch ramp area and is obviously very overgrown!
3.jpg

Awhile later, she caught this little bluegill. Another followed but we didn't keep any of them. She really likes those little fish.
4.jpg

We stayed till after sunset. Dark, even. I had to pretty much pry my wife away from the bank! :biggrin-new:
5.jpg

By the end of the day, I was feeling much, much better! :joyous:

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    785.8 KB · Views: 2

BWR1953

Admiral
Those storms seem to just keep coming huh, all we have to worry about in California is an occasional earthquake

Mod EDIT: political comment removed

Yeah, I lived in SoCal for awhile, then NorCal for awhile. I don't miss the earthquakes. At least with a hurricane I can see them coming and get outta town! :lol:

Watermann

Looks like the weather cooperated with your day, nothing like being at or on the water. Glad you're feeling better!

BWR1953

Admiral
QUESTION: After I complete the hull sanding, what should I use to remove the sanding residue? During sanding, I just let the hull air dry, which means that some residue will be present.

A quick wipe with acetone? Alcohol? Something else?

Watermann

No solvents! Just tack cloth the hull and go to painting the next coat.

BWR1953

Admiral
Finished wet-sanding the boat today. Yay! ;)

There were a few areas where I'd started the second coat that I had to use 600 grit in order to knock the rougher orange peel down. Worked fine. Followed up with 800 and 2000 as needed.

While we were working a humongous t-storm rolled in and it was so loud with the rain and thunder that we had to wear hearing protection. Boom! :lol:

I really liked feeling the slick paint on the KF when I was done. Nice. :)
1.jpg

3.jpg

BWR1953

Admiral
No solvents! Just tack cloth the hull and go to painting the next coat.

Copy that. No solvents! Thanks WM. :joyous:

There are water spots on the hull; I suppose I could wipe those off with a clean damp sponge followed by drying with a lint-free cloth? Then a tack cloth when painting time comes.

BWR1953

Admiral
Sooo... hypothetically speaking... Let's say a fella was happily wet-sanding his boat when he got a little too aggressive and ended up with a boo-boo that got down to the bare aluminum. Not very big, mind you, just a couple inches long and maybe a half inch wide.

Would said fella then re-prime that small area with SE using an artist's brush followed by regular primer done the same way?

Hypothetically speaking, of course! :eek: :facepalm:
2.jpg