I have returned... with a Starcraft this time!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Sooo... hypothetically speaking... Let's say a fella was happily wet-sanding his boat when he got a little too aggressive and ended up with a boo-boo that got down to the bare aluminum. Not very big, mind you, just a couple inches long and maybe a half inch wide.

Would said fella then re-prime that small area with SE using an artist's brush followed by regular primer done the same way?

Hypothetically speaking, of course! :eek: :facepalm:

Yeah that's what I've done for rivet heads too.

BWR1953

Admiral
The boy and I got the KF hull wiped down this morning. Then we re-primed as described above. First with SE primer which I allowed to dry for 45 minutes (30 minutes okay per the can) and then we painted with the regular gray primer but only where there was bare aluminum. Next will be to use the artist's brushes to paint a little of the white on top, Hopefully soon.

Click image for larger version  Name:	1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	206.3 KB ID:	10588304

While we were waiting for the primer to dry, the boy set up my new spray paint test area.
Click image for larger version  Name:	2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	311.0 KB ID:	10588305

And then we all went fishing. My wife caught her usual tiny bluegills and the boy caught this turtle. I got skunked. :noidea:
Click image for larger version  Name:	3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	795.7 KB ID:	10588306

BWR1953

Admiral
This morning we got the white paint over the gray primer we put on yesterday. Then a little shop cleaning and that's all for today.

1.jpg

BWR1953

Admiral
Man it feels good to actually lay down some paint, doesn't it?

I'll agree with everyone above - paint the whole boat a base color, then go back to do your black sections over top.

As far as masking goes, get really good masking materials. If you do go with just the blue tape from Home Depot, get the good stuff. I can't tell you how frustrating it is to look at a perfect line that's interrupted by a glob of paint that snuck under cheap tape.

It's why the pinstriping on the tiop and bottom of my strip will be covered over with vinyl. No matter how careful I was, the lines needed to be touched up - and still aren't perfect.

Keep up the good work!

I heard you about the masking line being "perfect" so a couple weeks ago I ordered some 1/2" x 36yd vinyl masking tape. Got it today. Maybe I'll be able to actually use it some day! LOL! :rolleyes:

I'd hoped to get a little work done on the KF today but the boy isn't feeling well! Now I have to be safety monitor for him! :eek: :lol:

1.jpg

BWR1953

Admiral
I use Naptha 1oz to 8oz of paint and mix well with a drill paint stirring paddle. That was shooting at 75 degrees...
I was reading tonight that naphtha can have issues when the temp gets over 80 degrees. Puts a real constraint on me here in sunny FL. We generally get over 80 before 10AM this time of year! And that's ambient, not the temp inside the garage. :rolleyes:

And I've been reading about mixing various thinning agents to gain a balance that will work with my temp and humidity. I really don't want to wait until October to finish painting this thing! :facepalm: :lol:

I'll say this much though. Eliminating the deadline stuff really helped take the pressure off. :cool:

Watermann

Yeah that's why I mentioned the temps I painted in using that naptha, you don't want it to flash off on you too quick in the higher temps.

BWR1953

Admiral
This morning I started out by trying to harvest the whea,.. uhhh.... cut the grass! Yeah, that's what I meant to say. ;)

1.jpg

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

Watermann

Maybe one of these days you'll catch a break and things will go your way, just maybe! :doh:

BWR1953

Admiral
Maybe one of these days you'll catch a break and things will go your way, just maybe! :doh:
Well, the "silver lining" is that the "down" time allows me to rest, heal and do research. Right? :cool: :lol:

As I was researching today, an ad showed up for an all electric riding mower! Pretty cool stuff. Ryobi Model RM480ex.

Watermann

I had my share of bad luck today so I really shouldn't have said anything. Put a new voltage regulator/rectifier on my Merc, it didn't work for my motor after 2 hours of soldering and wiring. In a bit of a huff over that I forgot to disconnect the battery before removing it and crossed a hot wire to my current rectifier and fried it... 40 bucks for a new one. :grumpy:

BWR1953

Admiral
I had my share of bad luck today so I really shouldn't have said anything. Put a new voltage regulator/rectifier on my Merc, it didn't work for my motor after 2 hours of soldering and wiring. In a bit of a huff over that I forgot to disconnect the battery before removing it and crossed a hot wire to my current rectifier and fried it... 40 bucks for a new one. :grumpy:

Ouch! That hurts.

Reminds me of a story from when I was in the USAF. A maintenance guy I worked with applied 110VAC to a 5VDC computer motherboard. Fried that sucker bad. $10,000 part back then! :eek:

They mounted it on a plaque and gave it to him when he shipped out to his next duty station. :laugh:

BWR1953

Admiral
My wife just told me that I'm a lot like our tractor.
Old, beat up, constantly breaking down and I "kneed" some replacement parts! :pound:

Watermann

Yeah but one thing I've seen is that you have a whole lot of heart

BWR1953

Admiral
Ran errands this morning but went out to the garage this evening to finish wet-sanding the console. I picked up a mult-pak of WD paper and started tonight with 1000 grit then on up to 2000. Worked well.

Got 99% of the orange peel off the console. Having to put in all that elbow grease made the point of how important it is to get the paint right the first time! :lol: :rolleyes:

For the console, I wanted to learn how to get it really smooth because every time I use the boat, I'll be seeing that console. However, I won't take it that far with the KF hull. I've done all the wet-sanding on it that I'm gonna do. It looks pretty good though.

Console is smooth and dull now. Ready for the second coat of paint. :cool:
1.jpg

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    302.7 KB · Views: 0

ab59

Ensign
I could swear I hear her calling to you , there it is again it's saying - BW come on out here and paint me up pretty big boy - I'm waiting for you and no other , come to the garage and play. Lol .