I have returned... with a Starcraft this time!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
That's why you should trust guys who have used hardener in their paint, the research has already been done and I lucked out that my local tractor store carried the VanSickle products. The safe alternative to regular catalyst hardener. Although just the paint should do fine. Check into the... Van Sickle 7028 Clear Hardener/Accelerator

Decker83

Commander
Looks like LVLP spray gun is doing a great job.. Glad to see it working out for you.. You can get a great paint job without the hardener.. :peace:

frazoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That's why you should trust guys who have used hardener in their paint, the research has already been done and I lucked out that my local tractor store carried the VanSickle products. The safe alternative to regular catalyst hardener. Although just the paint should do fine. Check into the... Van Sickle 7028 Clear Hardener/Accelerator

I'm trying to find a source that will mail it, just took the "bad" stuff back where I bought it. I know I don't really need it, but in for a penny, in for a pound to make things (possibly) just a bit better.

BWR1953

Admiral
Thanks for the info on the Van Sickle. I found the SDS sheets for 70283 and 70286 but can't find them for purchase anywhere online. The nearest Van Sickle store is 200 miles away too.

I did find 70196 for purchase online and the label says enamel but the SDS sheet shows Urethane.

And I did a generalized search for non-ISO hardeners which gave a bazillion results, the majority of which included ISO products. Boolean logic doesn't work well on Google.

I miss Netscape. There, I said it. :lol:

BWR1953

Admiral
Looks like LVLP spray gun is doing a great job.. Glad to see it working out for you.. You can get a great paint job without the hardener.. :peace:
I sure hope that the weather goes back to normal soon so that i can have a chance to try that LVLP gun with color paint!

May is usually the driest month here. Temps in the mid-80s with humidity running 40-60% is typical.

Right now we're having weather more like the end of June, which is the beginning of the rainy season. Humidity is running 95-99% and temps (without a storm) are upper 80s. Today it's been storming all day with temps in the mid 70s and very high humidity again. Arrgghhh! :rolleyes:

BWR1953

Admiral
I'm trying to find a source that will mail it, just took the "bad" stuff back where I bought it. I know I don't really need it, but in for a penny, in for a pound to make things (possibly) just a bit better.

I understand that viewpoint completely. If I do paint the hull without hardener, it looks like it could take weeks to months to fully cure. Makes it hard to put the boat back on the trailer if the paint is still soft. :grumpy:

Watermann

I can see the worry and angst over the hardener if you sprayed it for a living day in and day out just like sucking in cigarette smoke will give you lung cancer (maybe) but not just for one day especially if you smoked through a respirator. :D

BWR1953

Admiral
I can see the worry and angst over the hardener if you sprayed it for a living day in and day out just like sucking in cigarette smoke will give you lung cancer (maybe) but not just for one day especially if you smoked through a respirator. :D

Yeahhh... I never smoked. But now I have a compromised immune system from the Prednisone and just got out of the hospital a few weeks ago from having pneumonia and sepsis. The docs told me that I nearly croaked.

So even a tiny risk is something I'm not willing to take. Believe me, I did consider it, but I just don't like hospitals all that much! :lol:

BWR1953

Admiral
So no work from Monday to Thursday this week due to weather, doc appointments and no safety chaperone. :rolleyes:

Yesterday started ugly then got perfect for the bulk of the day. And I had a really bad health day such that I could barely get off the couch again. Tired of that carp. :mad:

This morning I felt okay and the boy was with me so we went to WM and picked up some more 800 grit W/D sandpaper. After we got back it took the boy 2 hours to clean up the shop. It was really messy!

I started sanding the "lower" part of the boat and got one side done. Very nice indeed. While I was working I noticed that the humidity dropped significantly. Maybe I could spray some paint today?

Then we took a lunch break, closed up the garage, grabbed a burger from McD's and brought it all home. By the time we finished, the rain and lightning returned. Dangit. :grumpy:

Maybe I'll get lucky and the storms will pass through so I can get more done later. ;)

This is what little progress we made thus far today.
1.jpg

frazoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Weather is carp here also, thought I might need my boat as an ark for a time there!

coostv

Petty Officer 1st Class
I agree with not wanting to risk the iso stuff, hence my avatar picture. Stuff is bad juju, most will say you are good with a charcoal mask, I only use those for super quick jobs or non-isocyanate paints/primers. I am a little different than your average DIY type, I turned a bay of my shop into a spray booth!

Watermann

Here is some incentive for you and the boy to get that KF on the water. We hit one of the best panfish lakes in the State today that is about 20 min from home. Glad I had my new fish cleaning station, we were at it for a hour!

Crappie, bluegill and perch. For every one we caught we released 4 and came home with around 80 fish. Good size too, that's a 1 gal ice jug in the cooler for comparison.

y4mfwd6zyJqBfPNevvtesU3GRyNPFcPD-7xnkpjJY2C1OeM66k8FCIfB6I1khanTk-oeyoG1HqLAQr1sKih8kWqFxVicw6EHm42L5aZdWBFbj6v0e3NS07eP-NOXCipYQ-HAJNbu3DsaZlANVbZqEJiqLO_5WzAIogefFe6QcaJXiEcaWjNq5fmVqMd_CTKOcCkhrsHRyYme0s3eYgmuFsw0Q

BWR1953

Admiral
I agree with not wanting to risk the iso stuff, hence my avatar picture. Stuff is bad juju, most will say you are good with a charcoal mask, I only use those for super quick jobs or non-isocyanate paints/primers. I am a little different than your average DIY type, I turned a bay of my shop into a spray booth!

Yeah, I definitely don't have all the right gear for sure! :painkiller: :cool:

BWR1953

Admiral
Here is some incentive for you and the boy to get that KF on the water. We hit one of the best panfish lakes in the State today that is about 20 min from home. Glad I had my new fish cleaning station, we were at it for a hour!

Crappie, bluegill and perch. For every one we caught we released 4 and came home with around 80 fish. Good size too, that's a 1 gal ice jug in the cooler for comparison.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/p5trtw.bn.files.1drv.com\/y4mfwd6zyJqBfPNevvtesU3GRyNPFcPD-7xnkpjJY2C1OeM66k8FCIfB6I1khanTk-oeyoG1HqLAQr1sKih8kWqFxVicw6EHm42L5aZdWBFbj6v0e3NS 07eP-NOXCipYQ-HAJNbu3DsaZlANVbZqEJiqLO_5WzAIogefFe6QcaJXiEcaWjNq 5fmVqMd_CTKOcCkhrsHRyYme0s3eYgmuFsw0Q?width=768&height=1024&cropmode=none"**[/IMG2]

Dude, yer killin' me! Those are some mighty fine lookin' fish!

And at the rate I'm going, I'll be lucky to have the KF on the water again by 2525. :lol:

M2HB

Petty Officer 1st Class
That is quite the setup. You can tell who is really good at fishing by watching how they process their fish.