I have returned... with a Starcraft this time!

BWR1953

Admiral
Why don't people TELL me these things:?? :confused: :blue:

I just now found out that there's such a thing as LVLP spray guns! Ah, jeez. I had no idea. :noidea: :embarassed:

I could have purchased one a long time ago and been able to use my little 2HP 8 Gallon compressor/tank to paint with instead of having to buy a bigger setup for an HVLP gun.

My buddy has not been able to help me paint the boat. He's just flat out too busy.

And my daughter gave me a $50 Home Depot gift card for my birthday and it's burning a hole in my pocket anyway. :joyous:

So now I'm researching and planning on spraying the boat myself. :nod:

I think. :cool:

BWR1953

Admiral
What I've learned thus far is that LVLP is much more material efficient than HVLP. It's also slower and therefore more "forgiving" for beginners like me. The LVLP guns are well suited for small jobs like mine but not so much for large production shops. They also have far less overspray. And from what I've read, the LVLP guns give a superior finish as well.:)

I'm really liking this one. There is a "kit" version that comes with this gun plus a touch-up gun, a regulator, tools, different tips and a case.

The only issue is that HD doesn't carry it in stores and if I order online it'll be 10-12 days before it gets here. The big river (A) company has it in stock and available for delivery tomorrow. But I can't use my $50 HD gift card! :grumpy:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Wow that is too cool and that guys technique is horrible to boot! Never ever pull the trigger on an HVLP without the gun moving or you'll regret it but that one he was dead stopped when he pulled the trigger.

BWR1953

Admiral
Okay, I just ordered this kit online. I was able to use my eGift card too! :D

Free delivery and it'll be here in 2 days. Cool beans! The only thing that I don't like is that there isn't a case, just the lightweight plastic molding inside a box. Ah, well.

I figure that I can use the small gun for when I paint the topsides since there just isn't much to cover there.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/SPRAYIT...p-33500k}:st++cn:{0:0}++sp33500k+{productkey}

sprayit-sp-33500k.jpg

oscarvan

Petty Officer 3rd Class
HVLP is, I believe mandated by EPA to reduce overspray. It also makes economic sense. You do need a LARGE volume of air, thus a LARGE compressor. LVLP guns do OK with 4-ish gpm at 30-ish psi. A run of the mill pancake compressor will just do this.....Practice technique on something else first. There's a slew of youtube university material.

frazoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Should be able to find some type of plastic storage container with lid to keep it all together in the tray. I just ordered the same one. :)
Always wanted to play with a sprayer, just never wanted to pay the kind of money required for the hvlp and suitable compressor.

BWR1953

Admiral
Should be able to find some type of plastic storage container with lid to keep it all together in the tray. I just ordered the same one. :)
Always wanted to play with a sprayer, just never wanted to pay the kind of money required for the hvlp and suitable compressor.
Cool beans! Maybe we'll start a trend! :lol:

Great idea about a storage container. I'l see what I can find once my kit arrives and I know the size. :)

BWR1953

Admiral
I got back to work today. Once it became clear that my bud wasn't going to have time to paint the boat and I had completed my LVLP research and purchase process, it was time to do something. Besides, I got pretty bored sitting around watching TV; even when I was sick. :grumpy:

So this morning I went out to the garage (alone because my old bud wasn't available - :nono: ) and addressed the "stripes" showing in the rattle can SE prime job. I ran my latex gloved fingers along the stripes and learned that most of the stripes were "dry" spots, not overlapped areas. Apparently I didn't have the rattle cans close enough when I painted some of the overlap areas.

I tried scuffing the dry areas with a Scotch Brite sponge but wasn't satisfied with the result. Next attempt was some 800 grit W/D paper and that worked well. I also gave a quick test with some 1200 grit W/D but that was just too smooth and I decided on using the 800 grit.

I started out thinking that I'd just sand the whole hull but after about 15 minutes of that I nixed that idea! Too much work! :biggrin-new: Since most of the boat was smooth, I ended up just sanding the rough spots. The temperature was climbing rapidly and got up to 93 degrees by noon, when I'd finished half the hull. So I went in for lunch.
2.jpg

4.jpg

11.jpg

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    310 KB · Views: 0
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    316.5 KB · Views: 0

BWR1953

Admiral
Yesterday my old bud and I went to a local metal shop and I had them cut some 0.063" aluminum sheet for me so that I can make end caps for the "new" dual seat storage boxes. They let us go back through the shop and it was huge! :eek:

So cool to see guys working with the big machines making stuff! The guy used a giant shear to cut my aluminum to size. Very cool. And the guy who helped us said that when it comes time to do the Chief that they'll be happy to fabricate anything I need. :encouragement:

Dunno when I'll start riveting the box ends together but it'll be a nice little task to do. :sad:

1.jpg

BWR1953

Admiral
Received the Sprayit paint gun kit today. Neato! :D

The cardboard box size is 17.75 x 16.25 x 4.5.
4.jpg

3.jpg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    393.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    476 KB · Views: 1

BWR1953

Admiral
Couldn't do any boat work today. Sat in the doctor's office for 3 hours, plus a 90 minute commute each way ate up most of the day. My eyes were "blown" after being dilated and everything was really bright after that anyway! :lol:

BWR1953

Admiral
Went to HF and picked up a new respirator this morning, along with 100 paint filters and a water/oil separator for the compressor.

Plus a freebie "grabber" which is worth what I paid for the thing. :lol:

I printed out the spray gun manual from a .pdf file and am heading out to the garage now to see how much trouble I can get into. :D

2.jpg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    447.4 KB · Views: 0

BWR1953

Admiral
QUESTION: Should I completely disassemble and clean the new spray gun(s) before use?

Or maybe just spray some acetone through it while testing the spray and fan patterns? Then do further pattern testing with actual paint?

BWR1953

Admiral
Got the console sanded and wiped as well as completely blowing the hull with compressed air, followed by wiping with a tack cloth. The components are now ready for painting.

Scrounged around and found adapters to connect the new stuff to my compressor. Sealed the connections with Teflon tape.

Taking a short break now and will head back out for testing and painting after that! :joyous:

3.jpg

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Oh the suspense. I hope to wake up in the morning and see a nice surprise!!

BWR1953

Admiral
Oh the suspense. I hope to wake up in the morning and see a nice surprise!!
Hey, it's taking me longer to file the report than it did to do the work today! :lol:

Video is currently uploading to Youtube. I'm starting on the pix now. ;)

BWR1953

Admiral
Here's the video of my test effort this evening. This is my first time ever using a spray gun of any kind. I'm very happy with how well the LVLP gun performed. :joyous: