I have returned... with a Starcraft this time!

BWR1953

Admiral
I rested during the day today and went out at 6:30 with the boy to pick up where we left off yesterday. And I am concerned. :uncomfortableness:

This console experiment is teaching me things. Ugh.

This is the primer after 3 coats. Note a couple of missed and flaked off spots.
4.jpg

So I wet sanded with 400 grit paper. My first time ever doing such. I dunno guys. I just don't know.
9.jpg

Second coat of filler primer.
10.jpg

Third coat of filler primer. Used almost a whole can and coverage still isn't complete. It was dark so I'll have to check it out further in the daylight tomorrow.
11.jpg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    316.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    452.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    434.2 KB · Views: 1

baldwibr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Wow, I admire your patience and willing to redo things to ensure it is done right. It's very tempting to just say "Oh well, it's just the underside of the console" and continue on your merry way. But be sure to take care of yourself!!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Oh boy spray painting outside in the dirt, one of my least favorite things to do and it eats up twice as much product.

I don't think you're supposed to wet sand primer and use regular sandpaper. Wet sanding is for paint using 1000+g black wet paper and primer is porous so water soaks right through it without beading like paint.

Keep at it, you'll figure it out.

BWR1953

Admiral
So does anybody have any ideas about what happened with my painting effort?

For those of you who live up north, the end result reminded me of little balls of frozen snow, sort of like hail, which happens when snow forms, melts a little as it falls, then refreezes prior to hitting the ground. There were lots of those little balls of paint on the surface but not everywhere. In some places the paint was fine. No consistency though.

Per my prior posts, this effort on the console underside was to determine if my prep, materials and technique would work. If yes, then I would continue the entire process to paint the whole boat. Clearly, the effort failed. :grumpy:

To recap:
Temperature was 72 degrees, humidity of 46%
Per directions on the can, I painted 3 coats of SE primer, allowing 2 minutes between coats and no sanding.
This was left overnight.

The next evening I wet sanded with 400 grit paper. Again, per directions on the can. (I knew about the 1000 grit W/D paper but didn't have any on hand.)

After sanding, I wiped everything down with rubbing alcohol to get the dust off, then applied three light coats of the Filler Primer, allowing 3 minutes between coats.

The end result was complete failure

I'm at a complete loss. :noidea:

It's 10am, 81 degrees and 70% humidity. The boy and I are going out to the garage to strip all that primer paint back off and get back to bare metal.

What to do after that? :confused:

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
I'm no expert on rusto spray bombs but I believe 1 coat of SE primer should be all that's needed.

The high-build primer / tie coat could be multiple coats per recoat instructions on can.

How far away from the surface were you holding the can? if too far, it can start to cure before it even hits the surface resulting in that dusty texture. Also, was it a fresh can or has it been used before?

BWR1953

Admiral
I'm no expert on rusto spray bombs but I believe 1 coat of SE primer should be all that's needed.

The high-build primer / tie coat could be multiple coats per recoat instructions on can.

How far away from the surface were you holding the can? if too far, it can start to cure before it even hits the surface resulting in that dusty texture. Also, was it a fresh can or has it been used before?

Yeah, I was thinking that just one coat of SE primer would be required. Until I read the can. That's why I went with three coats.
I was spraying about a foot from the metal.

SE directions.
20180414_102841-1170x2080.jpg

These are the directions on the Filler Primer.
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

BWR1953

Admiral
Working on getting the primer(s) off. The boy wanted to use the compressor and the walnut blast media so we started with that. Fail! So now we're going to use the aircraft stripper.

I don't know what good walnut blast media is. Maybe for writing names in snow or something. :rolleyes:

Watermann

Not sure why you wanted to wet sand the primer but here is my procedure:

Shoot on one covering coat of SE, wait half hour before shooting on regular primer and after an hour, hit with first coat of paint, wait 2 hours, hit with second coat of paint. All done in one long sticky process. Chemical bonding of everything with no sanding, no water and never paint anything out in the sun, it'll gas out too quick.

BWR1953

Admiral
Not sure why you wanted to wet sand the primer but here is my procedure:

Shoot on one covering coat of SE, wait half hour before shooting on regular primer and after an hour, hit with first coat of paint, wait 2 hours, hit with second coat of paint. All done in one long sticky process. Chemical bonding of everything with no sanding, no water and never paint anything out in the sun, it'll gas out too quick.
Okay, I'll try that next.

The primer felt rough to the touch and wasn't smooth, which is why I sanded. If it's okay to leave it a little rough, then I'll go ahead and proceed.

We got the console stripped once more. Letting it dry thoroughly before trying again.

BWR1953

Admiral
Back on the job after finishing lunch. No more dehydration and crashing blood sugar for this guy! Definitely do NOT want to do that again! :eek:

Watermann - did you use the same method for the second color?

20180414_124035-2080x1170.jpg

BWR1953

Admiral
Well, I figured it out. It was operator error! :facepalm:

And still is! :rolleyes:

I was spraying too far away and moving the can back and forth too quickly. I have absolutely no idea why. :noidea: I do know better. But as a result of my error, the paint was partially drying in midair.

This vid is from my effort this afternoon. Once I realized what was happening, I did slow down and do better, but it was too late by then. The video had already been captured! :lol:

The boy and I put together an impromptu spray booth this afternoon. That little KF is versatile!

Click image for larger version  Name:	4.jpg Views:	1 Size:	353.2 KB ID:	10558218

Click image for larger version  Name:	bilge painted2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	25.3 KB ID:	10558228

Click image for larger version  Name:	bilge painted3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	40.5 KB ID:	10558229

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    353.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    339.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    350.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    364.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    393.1 KB · Views: 1

Decker83

Commander
Like the spray booth.. Looks like the SE primer is doing its job. The filler primer seams to be the culprit.. Did you shake the can really well? Did you try a different can? The primer may be old and not spraying very well.. It's definitely not atomizing correctly.
I don't think its your method but the paint itself. You may be able to sand it down smooth instead of stripping it again..
Good luck with it.

BWR1953

Admiral
Rainy weather here today, not ideal for painting but we did a little more testing.

I sanded the console with 400 grit on my palm sander which helped but not enough. So I had the boy strip it all off. While he was doing that I decided to try something different and we stopped using the console for testing.

So I cleaned off a section of the hull and started testing. By closing the garage doors and windows, we simulated a very large spray booth! :lol:

Each test spot was sprayed with a single coat. No double or triple sprays this time.

The reason I wanted to use the Filler Primer is because of the fine and medium sized scratches in the hull. Like these. I know it wouldn't 'help with the big gouges, which I will fill with JBWW.
1.jpg

And decker nailed it! The Filler Primer was definitely the problem. I applied a little without painting the SE Primer on first. Even though it did a good job of hiding the blemishes when it worked, it kept ending up rough when done.
7.jpg

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 0
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    334.7 KB · Views: 0

BWR1953

Admiral
Here's what a light rain sounds like in the metal garage. The boy had to wear hearing protection! :glee:

BWR1953

Admiral
All done at the doctor's. Heading for home in a minute.

I'm using Rusto SE primer and Majic for color.

Should I pick up Rusto primer on the way?

Or Majic primer?

BWR1953

Admiral
And my efforts yesterday failed too. I think the humidity was just too high at 88% or so. And I may have applied the primer too thick in some places.

We're supposed to have perfect painting weather over the next few days so I'll keep trying. :rolleyes:

This coming Saturday will be 6 weeks until our vacation departure. If I can't get the paint to work soon, I'll have to go with a Plan B so that I can move on to other tasks to get the boat on the water again.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Watermann

Not sure I've seen these issues and around the forum here a guy sees boats painted from one side of the country to the other.

BWR1953

Admiral
So I'm back in the hospital. Admitted last night. Still trying to figure out what's going on. :grumpy: