hull extension in progress with pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoKlu

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: hull extension in progress with picks

It's a little far to come have a look. Your right all the picks of the same old thing are gettin a little BORING so hurry up and get that hull done and move on to the stringers and deck.You better pick up the pace on that bote lil bro, I'm gonna want a ride soon.:D

oops!

Supreme Mariner

heh heh heh....comon up any how.....need beer and sushi.

ok up dates comin :D

oops!

Supreme Mariner

btw brent...again welcome....

this is a really good site......

the mechs are top notch....

there is areas here for all your quad questions, and more.

keep sending all thoes good tid bits, i think im gonna post that hillarious bagdad smoke show in dock side chat.

cheers

oops!

Supreme Mariner

sundays job on the boat was an ambitious one.....grinding......install the new transom...and start to build the raw stringers......

my honey-do list was waved in front of my face so i didnt get on the boat till 430 pm....after a trip to the local hardware store for more supplies.

before anything colud be done....more grinding......

i backed the rig into a concrete post behind my store a few years back and did a repair on it.....a lousy one.... so it was time to get it right....this part of the transom actually bowed inward so it had to be ground thru....the blue stuff is the gellcoat ...in this pic you can see the new layers of hull extension layup coming all the way up the bottom of the transom.

picgroup16004.jpg

the transom area was cleaned using acitone.....the area was cleand 4 times in total to get the 38 year old glass ready to take the new transom

picgroup16005.jpg

the new transom was prepped.......i used a circ saw to cut the hull angle and shave off the exess glass mat that was between the transom ply sandwich.

picgroup16008.jpg

the new transom was sanded usig 80 grit to prepair the wood for resin

picgroup16013.jpg

the transom was then pre-fitted to the hull...using angle iron/thick shelving brackets..i bolted the new transom thru the hull. all of the bolt holes were on areas that either existed or would be cut away.....(tow hooks or drive area) i did put 5 new thru hull/transom holes....these will be filled and sealed later.

picgroup16010.jpg

picgroup16011.jpg

oops!

Supreme Mariner

then using a really sloooow cure on the resin the ply wood was wetted out...i wanted a really slow cure to let the resin absorbe into the wood...the edges of the wood were also splashed

picgroup16014.jpg

i kept opening and closing the big garage doors to regulate the temp....i tried to keep it at 50 degrees to slow down the cure.

then after half an hour...a layer of csm (chopped strand matt) was layed on the transom peice

picgroup16015.jpg

after that a layer of the 24 oz bi axle....layed so mat was on mat..also a cold cure

picgroup16019.jpg

man i really got a kick out of doing such small glass layups....flat...no corners...just fly....im used to doing huge layups...corners...strakes...so this was a dream...the transom was its own wet out table....it was going so smooth....

then it was time to re acitone the hull...mix up some more oops super dooper peanut butter....(glass bubbles, chopped strand and resin) and get ready to bed the transom in peanut butter...again a slo cure....i also added a layer of matt on the transom area

picgroup16016.jpg

i waited for 20 minits after all was set...and double checked everything...made sure all materials and tools were in their place..right where i needed them to be....

after that i closed the doors and stoked the wood stove......

i grabbed the transom and out it in place...being very careful not to move the layers of glass.....

then murphy walked in....the jerk..
none of the holes would line up...weird....
it took me half an hour to line up the top row.....panicked i opend the garage door and cooled the room.
this is what i saw....

picgroup16021.jpg

it was snowin hard....big flakes...the camera didnt catch even a quarter of what was happening.....

any how..it cooled the room nicely. it took me 7 hours to line up the transom and get it bolted and braced..i did this by myself no extra hands or helpers..it was curing while i was working....i could feel the heat starting to build up thru the hull.....didnt get home till 6 am...had to work at 10....yeech

picgroup16022.jpg

but thats finished.....its in......now for the stringers......buts thats another day

Robj

Lieutenant

That looks great. After you are done, you could write a book!! Too bad you are so far away or I would be there helping you. Will get there sooner or later. Keep up the good work.

Have a great day,

Rob.

jcsercsa

Captain

Looking on the shelf behind the transom, I think I see why you find grinding so bearable. :D

LOL I agree Sgtmaj no wonder he like grinding !!! I should have done more of that yesterday !!! John

oops!

Supreme Mariner

yeah my staff drops in from time to time and brings a few bottles to watch them evaporate......:D

QC

Supreme Mariner

Cool. You got a lot done, and I absolutely know what you mean about the honey dos . . . In acutality she should be happy as I get my list done quicker now, so that I can be "allowed" to work on the boat . . .

jcsercsa

Captain

So Ooops you are going to glass over the hole hull??? Do you have any idea how much weight you are adding to her ?? Oh yea love the 383 going into her !! what 500 + hp ?? and thanks Buddie on answering my thread, them cheap basterds!!! lol thanks bud John

oops!

Supreme Mariner

So Ooops you are going to glass over the hole hull??? Do you have any idea how much weight you are adding to her ?? Oh yea love the 383 going into her !! what 500 + hp ?? and thanks Buddie on answering my thread, them cheap basterds!!! lol thanks bud John

yup gonna give her a full layer of the 24 oz......i ground so much out in areas... i just want too add some...and yup shes gonna be heavy...hence the 383.

im not looking foward to the layup......20 some feet by 50 ins wide. x 3....ouch.....

then after that stringers....i cant wait to get on them......then deck.....getting sooooooo close !

jcsercsa

Captain

man ohh man !!! she is going to ne a tank !!! anyone going to wake board behind her?? she should throw a great wake !!! Get Herrr Done !! lol John

MarkV_Deep6

Petty Officer 1st Class

Your pic's are great....More More!!!

MarkV_Deep6

Petty Officer 1st Class

Your pic's are great....More More!!!

I noticed the mysterious evaporating beverages on the shelves!

redfury

Commander

man ohh man !!! she is going to ne a tank !!! anyone going to wake board behind her?? she should throw a great wake !!! Get Herrr Done !! lol John

Y'know what we'll need to make this thread complete? Video of her in the water! Maiden voyage vids!

oops!

Supreme Mariner

red....

you will have them.....there is a lot more to this project that im not telling you guys......but i have been leaving hints! :D

john..... yup shes gonna get a tower ...its part of the rain canvass.

i havent been able to work on her all this week......and ive got a business trip this weekend.....so i wont get on it till monday..:eek:....thats the longest shes been left alone since i started this gong show ! :D....

but i expect it to start coming togeather very soon......i spent 2 hours crawlling over new boats at the dealership yesterday afternoon. had to get ideas on how to attatch the new motor cowling.

cheers
oops

redfury

Commander

Yeah, and they just loved havin' you there too. I couldn't believe how annoyed the guys at the boat show seemed to be when I was scouring the new boats for ideas, taking pictures and what not. When they inquired, I mentioned that I was getting ideas for my boat restoration, to which they replied "not worth it, buy a new boat!"..... yeah sure :rolleyes: You got MY business!

BTW Oops, I'm more interested in what you are going to do to stretch the cap and make it look seemless ;)

oops!

Supreme Mariner

actually they were nice to me...i spent time in the accesories section :D
little did they know.... im gonna get half the stuff from i boats. :D

if things go right ....the cap will be started soon.....i will be adding a sun pad over the engine and a rear wrap around bench seat. so it will be totally seamless...i hope :eek:

im really upset about leaving it for a week....ya gotta keep on this stuff or you start thinking too much

Coors

Captain

actually they were nice to me...i spent time in the accesories section :D
little did they know.... im gonna get half the stuff from i boats. :D

if things go right ....the cap will be started soon.....i will be adding a sun pad over the engine and a rear wrap around bench seat. so it will be totally seamless...i hope :eek:

im really upset about leaving it for a week....ya gotta keep on this stuff or you start thinking too much

Too much thinking always ends up costing more.....

Status
Not open for further replies.