hull extension in progress with pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: hull extension in progress with picks

Hey oops! Quit flappin yer gums about sports and get on with da pics.:p

We Want Pictures. We don't get to see too many whales flipped on their backs for treatment.:eek:

gotta find the flippin camera cord ! :confused:

oops!

Supreme Mariner

still cant find the camera cord.

but heres where its at.....:
at this time, the boat is still in my shop....they couldnt get it in for gell this weekend.

that just bought me a little time.......

the hull is 3/4 without gell coat.....about 4 more hours grinding.
(man....im getting so sick of grinding)

the hull is really looking good.

the extension section is allmost faired. it just needs a little sanding, and one side of the plaining surface is done. the other will need a layer or two before i can sand that.

the strakes are emerging nicely, as i made another hi teck tool. :D

(i took a drywall corner tool and cut some off the edges. it gave me a perfect strake shape.)

after the grinding....i just have to finish the shape of the hull, then wrap it all in glass.....then add another skim coat of poly fair......i hope to have the hull ground down and the shape of the hull done today. mabe even a layer of glass.

the poly fair is really strong stuff !....i had a bucket that was waisted because it cured in the bucket. so i took the casting, and hit it with a hammer as hard as i could.......didnt even crack !
it took about 20 hits on the area i thought was structurally weak before it finally broke.

ill go buy another camera cord as soon as i can find one !
cheers
oops

WizeOne

Commander

gotta find the flippin camera cord ! :confused:

Well isn't this one heXXuva forum! No oops pics and no politics!:eek:

What's a guy to do?:p

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Well isn't this one heXXuva forum! No oops pics and no politics!:eek:

What's a guy to do?:p

ok bud.... im off to london drugs to get a camera cord.....:D......

ill have them up tommorow

redfury

Commander

Fairing compound was that strong eh? I wonder how it would fair with chopped glass as a substitute to seacast?

You're finally getting sick of grinding oops!? Finally?! By now, you should be a grinder artist extraordinaire! :D

oops!

Supreme Mariner

got a camera cord guys......:)

so i have a few updates for ya.....sorry it took so long.

the poly fair (farring compound) spreads like butter.

this is the port side and the third layer of poly fair.

question....if the hull is flipped, is the port side still the port side or is is now starboard.?...:D

you can see the long 2x4 on top ready to start screeding. the plan was supposed to be that we screed the stuff on like concrete.....but the poly fair was gelling too fast to get the screed idea to work.

pickgroup43001.jpg

oops sr. dropped in to help with his magic trowell,

pickgroup43002.jpg

and 15 minits later, a perfectilly smooth hull.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

It seems like a lot of added stuff just to level out the bottom. It seems like that stuff will just erode away from the water passing by it. Eventually wont that stuff just chip away and take any paint with it that you apply over top of it? I just am saying that i thought that if you were doing that its almost like applying a body filler and it does not work if it is thick. If it is thick like that i was understanding that it would be soft. Wont that just break away and chip away after a couple of outings? And wont the rollers of your trailer just dig into it like mud leaving the roller indents in the areas where that stuff is really thick?

this is a ligitmate concern.........

and this is some poly fair that hardened in the bucket.

pickgroup43004.jpg

and this is oops hammer

pickgroup43005.jpg

and this is the casting after it was hit REALLY HARD !

pickgroup43007.jpg

this was after about 10 whacks

pickgroup43008.jpg

after picking out the weakest part of the casting, it took a lot of all out hits to crack and chip parts off..!!

pickgroup43006.jpg

this was after about 5 minits of super hard hitting.

pickgroup43009.jpg

the poly fair is really tough stuff.

after the poly fair is applied, sanded and made as smooth as it can get,

a full layer of 1708 will be wrapped around the faired areas, the 1708 will then be wrapped with a finishing layer of csm, then a linal skim coat of filler will be added, then sanded, then gell coated.

all of this, will make it as strong as i can make it.

out side of all this, if it cracks or chipps away, there is nothing i can do to make it stronger.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

getting the plaining surface of the boat perfect is the top priority of the farring.......

as with everything....it takes several stages

first....the compound is applied

pickgroup43003.jpg

after hardening....all high ridges left from the application process are ground/sanded off....

pickgroup43010.jpg

at this point i just want to fill all the low spots, leaving final finishing work till later

pickgroup43011.jpg

i also wanted to build the strakes in...and i needed a special tool.....a really hi tech one....that would make them perfect.

pickgroup43022.jpg

i made it from a drywall corner tool. i just ground it down till it fit the exixting strakes

pickgroup43023.jpg

its works pretty slick !

oops!

Supreme Mariner

before i finish fairing the hull, i want to take all the gellcoat off so i can fair it all at once...

taking the gellcoat off is not somthing that i would recommend to anyone on a standard restoration.......im doing it because after i got thru doing a few other things, there wasnt much hull left that had gellcoat on it.......and if your that far.....you do it all.

this is the hull before last night, the grinder is approx 1 foot forward of the area im grinding

pickgroup43013.jpg

at this point approx 2/3s of the hull is stripped

pickgroup43014.jpg

this was after 1.5 hrs of grinding.....its a slow process !
sorry for the dusty pics, that is grinding dust floating in the room !

pickgroup43017.jpg

this is a little more clear.

pickgroup43018.jpg

a layer of 1/2 inch dust is covering the hull, including the strakes.

pickgroup43020.jpg

as you can see the strakes are looking pretty good, even tho they are still rough, not finished, and not sanded,

pickgroup43021.jpg

im guessing that the gellcoat will look very close to these pics, (as far as shape of the hull goes.

redfury

Commander

Hey, it's all blue again! :D

I think they should change your rank to "master grind technician"

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

Id just like to have a boat below me when i am going across the water. I guess you can have all that faring and all that non-scence but i like a boat below when im hitting wakes and waves. I laugh at 3 foot waves and storms when im coming home sometimes. Dont think id feel so safe with a boat that has body filler that is forming my shape of my hull. id feel a little weird knowing that that my hull was just filler and a glass sheet over filler and then hull. Its a little shakey to me. I have ran this bay for years and id prefer not to do it in your boat!!

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

I think they should change your rank to "master grind technician"

Be careful i dont think that this thread has the best things going for it! You really think that salt water will take some body filling on the bottom of a boat? I have lived my whole life on boats and that is the most rediculious thing i have ever seen!!! That is not going to last at all even in fresh water!!!!! that is dumb

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

oooops you are the Man! But that is dumb to do all that faring to the bottom. I would love to make my boat out of cheeze too. we call it cheaze when you fair out areas of a boat. I would not cheeze out the hull!!! That is just Cheeze on the hull! I love you man but you are adding Cheeze to the hull and you are going to be going through hot water with cheeze!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you need another option!!!!!!!!!!

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

If thats what you are doing it will look good, just dont add a motor that will plane the boat out!! if you do thats it and all the faring will come out! Id run like a 9.9hp or a 15hp at the most!!!! on a kick plate and then fish like that if you are going to keep your plans of fairing the bottom like that!!!

redfury

Commander

Seems like someone else has been hitting the corona's tonight :eek:

Drew, there's so much glass above that fairing compound, not to mention that it'll be sandwiched between 2 layers of 1708, I'd be less worried about his boat than one made with foam core construction ;)

redfury

Commander

big%20honkin%20roll%20of%20fiberglass.jpg

Figured I'd shoot up a picture of that roll of fiberglass. I'd run and get that other roll, but I'm having a hard enough time dealing with this monster alone :D

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Lookin good oops!!!:DCant wait to see this baby painted!! Holy Crap:eek: redfury, were did you get a roll of glass that big!!??

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

The hull will be plenty strong. Like RF said, there's enough glass to make it more than strong enough.

Nandy

Commander

Ooops, man, I wish I had the time to work a project like you do. I can hardly make any time. I am very impressed and admire your job. How much heavier you think this boat will be from the original? You keeping track of all of your materials?

If you have read here enough you can tell Drew is off his meds.... :)

Robj

Lieutenant

Id just like to have a boat below me when i am going across the water. I guess you can have all that faring and all that non-scence but i like a boat below when im hitting wakes and waves. I laugh at 3 foot waves and storms when im coming home sometimes. Dont think id feel so safe with a boat that has body filler that is forming my shape of my hull. id feel a little weird knowing that that my hull was just filler and a glass sheet over filler and then hull. Its a little shakey to me. I have ran this bay for years and id prefer not to do it in your boat!!

Remember the compound is not adding to the boats strength, it is only evening out the planing surface. There is plenty of strength from the fibreglass structure. The only strength that is required from the fairing compound is compressive strength, as it transfers the load between the water and the hull, and IMO the stuff looks plenty strong. My only worry would be the increased weight. I imagine that the boat is getting pretty heavy. Hopefully I will have a chance to check it out today, if Oops ever returns my call.

Have a great day,

Rob.

Status
Not open for further replies.