25HP Johnson Rope --> Electric

colding01

Seaman Apprentice
Can I easily convert my '96 25HP Johnson from rope start to an electric start? Looks like a place behind the head for a starter to be mounted. Will I need other parts besides the starter? And if so, how do I connect the electrical wires and the switch for the starter?<br /><br />Thanks in advance for any help.

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: 25HP Johnson Rope --> Electric

You can, indeed. You'll need the starter, bracket (if any), and a solenoid (mounted on the start on your engine). Wiring is not too difficult, and your manual will guide you there.<br /><br />The parts are available new or used. Used from places like tcoutboard.com and other outboard wrecking yards.<br /><br />Not too hard a job, I think.

colding01

Seaman Apprentice

Great! So the solenoid is mounted outside the motor and a start switch is on the solenoid?

colding01

Seaman Apprentice

Also, should I use my deep cycle marine battery I use occasionally for my trolling motor as the starter battery?

colding01

Seaman Apprentice

I emailed tcoutboard and they say I'll need a new flywheel as well. Is that right? If so, they sell the kit for $499, which is a little more than I was wanting to spend.

CATransplant

Admiral

That is possible. If your flywheel does not have teeth around the edge of it, you would need a new one.<br /><br />You might also want to check eBay. Often, people are parting out these outboards, and you might be able to obtain all the parts through auctions, and for a good deal less money.<br /><br />I'm not familiar enough with the late model 25's to tell you what other years of 25hp motors will interchange on these parts.

colding01

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for your help! I'll check out ebay.

CATransplant

Admiral

I took a look at the blow up views of your engine, and it looks to me like it either came as an electric start or a recoil start model. Unlike earlier engines, if it's electric start, there's no recoil starter at all. If it's recoil, there's no toothed flywheel.<br /><br />So, you're kind of stuck on this, it seems to me. If you convert to electric start, you lose the recoil starter (although you can still rope start it with the cowling off).<br /><br />Seems quite a good deal of money to spend. Best of luck with your quest.

davemaxi1970

Petty Officer 1st Class

doing the same job myself bought an old tatty outboard off ebay for£67 with all electric wiring remotes etc picking it up next week will fit parts on to my engine and save at least £200 good luck