hull extension in progress with pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: hull extension in progress with picks

I'll be headed your way on Monday and I have more glass that you can have, but getting it across the boarder with it is a little tricky.

Plus don't forget the class at Svfara on Thursday.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

I'll be headed your way on Monday and I have more glass that you can have, but getting it across the boarder with it is a little tricky.

un wrap it, make it look like a used roll that you "have with you"

but if there is any charges....ill be more than happy to pay.......

i cant wait till that class.....just a few more sleeps......

uh.....speaKING of sleeps......i got a big dual zone in....$3500 worth....
bring tie downs for your truck

oops!

Supreme Mariner

How much is more?! How much did you buy in the first place ( yds )?

I'm wondering how much I should buy to do 3 stringers and my transom.

red....i used a whole roll.....228 linear feet x 50 ins =75 yards.

3 strings and trans ?.....50 liner feet....approx......and 20 feet of light matt....

avg 17 footer

redfury

Commander

red....i used a whole roll.....228 linear feet x 50 ins =75 yards.

3 strings and trans ?.....50 liner feet....approx......and 20 feet of light matt....

avg 17 footer

Cool. I actually get to get down to Eagan tomorrow for work where the guy with the huge roll of Glass is....I'm hoping to hook up with him and pick up 100 ft of it...X4ft wide. Hundred bucks worth, should cover my stringers, transom and deck short of what I'll need in cloth I should have more than enough. Just gotta get some resin, a grinder still and some gumption and I should be set to start going nutty on the boat :D

oops!

Supreme Mariner

heh heh heh, red, .........youll love the itch....:D

i havent posted pics lately cause im just glassing the cap extension,

its allmost done. im doing 2 layers of glass at a time, wait till cure, then another two, so im there three times a day for an hour a time

its a long weekend here, so the deck truck i have lined up to flip the hull wont be avaliable till tuesday.

that means ill have pics and a tutorial on how to flip a hull on wed.....

thanks to ondarvr for the correct way to do it.......

cheers
oops

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

I like the way the guy down the street from me does it. With 2 stumps and a electric wench. He is going to flip mine in a couple days too once im done the stringers. and put it on my trailer upside down and put it back when im done. Its pretty cool. Im trying to get him to youtube how he stores his boat. Its a 22' CC

Robj

Lieutenant

Glad to see that things are progressing well. Fabbing the cap looks easy this way. Much easier than the way we were trying when I was there a few weeks ago. Now I know how to do it, not that I will be trying that anytime soon.

Have a great day,

Rob.

redfury

Commander

So we get to spam the thread to keep it alive until Wed. then? :D

I didn't get to see the glass man today, he was in Wisconsin ( probably relaxing instead of waiting around for some guy to call him out of the blue to buy fiberglass from him...sheesh, the nerve! :p )

I'm shooting to get down on Sunday if things work out okay for me. I just got done helping my dad with his garage sale by taking a bunch of junk he didn't want anymore. That's helping, right?

Well, I like to help, and he gave me a brand new deep cycle battery and a minnkota trolling motor for my 14 footer, which I had been looking for, along with assorted wrenches, sockets, etc. And he gave me a kerosene fuel torpedo heater with thermostatic control...another thing I'd been trying to pry from his hands for years :D I could have gotten fully set up for hard water fishing, but I really don't care to go out onto the ice all that much. He had a pretty nice fold up shack, but I just don't have the place to store all that stuff! Oh, I did get his old 16 gallon shop vac though...I'll be plumbing that sucker up somehow to reduce the dust I have to endure when I start getting the itch on! I'll be sure to post pictures in another thread when I figure something out :cool:

jonesg

Admiral

heh heh heh, red, .........youll love the itch....:D

i havent posted pics lately cause im just glassing the cap extension,

cheers
oops

Did you consider making a mold of the handrail ?

I've had decent results going around 90 deg corners by using cloth cut so the weave is 45 degs rather than 90 deg. It wastes cloth though.

seaman campbell

Chief Petty Officer

Oops, glad to see you're making progress. Cap is looking great. I am looking forward to see how you are gonna flip the monster. Keep it up my good sir it's looking Great!

TC

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

I want to see her flipped! Any idea on when its going to happen? And also are ya going to leave the cap on and the windshield on there also when ya flip it? Lets see!

Last edited:

redfury

Commander

Well, got to see the fiberglass guy. He didn't want to part with a little bit of the roll, so he sold me the WHOLE thing for $50 :D

Attachments

• big ass roll of fiberglass.jpg
    big ass roll of fiberglass.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 1

WizeOne

Commander

Well, got to see the fiberglass guy. He didn't want to part with a little bit of the roll, so he sold me the WHOLE thing for $50 :D

Wow! That is one gihugic roll. What weight and what type?

fuzzeywiggler

Petty Officer 1st Class

Holy *^&% your one lucky son of a gun. You thinking of opening up a boat shop now? Make your own moulds...:) Btw how are you gonna get it out?

Fuzzey

redfury

Commander

Well, don't you all get your panties in a bundle, it's pretty lightweight stuff actually. It's a fine chop and it itches like hell! I figure I'll be doing multiple layups when I do use it. Here's a closer picture of it.

I'm certainly willing to part with some of it if any of you find a need for some...I don['t know where I'm going to keep it! The roll compressed enough to get it into the truck without loosening the cap. It's staying there until I get better situated to handle it though.

It seems to flex pretty well for a mat. I'll have to play with some of it and see how it works. Might be good stuff for building custom one off items.

Attachments

• fiberglas thickness close up.jpg
    fiberglas thickness close up.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 0

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

un wrap it, make it look like a used roll that you "have with you"

lol... I think will a roll THAT big he's gonna have a hard time convincing the border guard that its just a roll he happened to have on hand at the time.

redfury

Commander

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

You should play the lottery.:D

If I had a bigger truck or no topper, I might have been able to get both of them off the guy, both the same size. My wife would have killed me, and I think my skin would have too :D I gotta get some plastic to wrap this thing in.

I think I might play around with some of it this week.

redfury

Commander

lol... I think will a roll THAT big he's gonna have a hard time convincing the border guard that its just a roll he happened to have on hand at the time.

I think I may have confused someone :lol: After reading back though, I think this would be a roll of "light mat" ? The fibers are really fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.