Re: hull extension in progress with picks

ok chris....here are the upside down pics....lol

009-1.jpg

38000 btu s

010-1.jpg

the fan is a little loud....but i love what it does...so there is the trade off

011-1.jpg

the blue thingy in the "v" formation is actually a plexiglass brochure holder that you see on most bar tables...i cut it in half to deflect the airflow to the driver and passenger.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

ok....so the heater issue may be a non issue....bondo say's the line off the water pump is the low pressure......that means the "t" will be getting the water straight out of the block and more accurate readings than i thought.

thanks bond-o a weeks worth of grief over in a second...lol

avimgod

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Good to hear the vibration was an easy fix.. (sure you had to pull the motor and such, but simple is a relative term)...

I really like the heater idea... I have been toying with adding a hard cap attached to my bow hand rails so I can extend the season a bit... adding a heater on some quick disconnect fittings might also fit into that plan...

Now go get on the water to make sure your vibration is gone and get the interior trimmed out so we can all see the theme!

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

don't forget 2 very important words......freeze plugs

redfury

Commander

okay, so I don't win on the "what's the problem" game show, but I'm glad you sorted it out, even if it came at the cost of having to swap out another "different but right" part again.

Like you said, these things happen when everything is being done custom.

tinkeringwackyone

Chief Petty Officer

So glad you found the vibration. So many parts.....good job:cool:

ben2go

Chief Petty Officer

don't forget 2 very important words......freeze plugs

Makes sure they are solid brass and not brass or copper coated steel.They will leak and rust out.I seal mine in with Loctite pipe sealant.

NoKlu

Senior Chief Petty Officer

We have NOT found the source of the vibration. There are a few things that we have changed but nothing for sure that would cause it. We were running around for parts all day and got a few good ideas for things to check but never had time to put it together and test it. Tomorrow it should be together and on the water for another run.

erikgreen

Captain

Not sure if this has been mentioned or not.. did you check and balance the flywheel?

Erik

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Oops...

Found it in manual #15.. The supply hose for the water needs to be connected to the port on the thermostat housing, not tee in at the temp sensor.

Chris.........

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If it was the flywheel, i believe you would have the vibration through the rpm range

NoKlu

We finally got the engine back in last night and it's sunny and calm so far this morning. Just have to hook things up and put the drive back on so we'll be back out this afternoon for a test. We did find that the ratio for the drive is no good for the engine so that will have to be changed before we can get any real performance figures. Unfortunately the drive is a 1.84 and we need a 1.47 for the boat to work properly. The cheapest route will be to change the gears so unless somebody knows where we can get a good Alpha 1 gen 2 leg cheap that's what we'll have to do. It was mrs oops birthday the other day so he's been a little hard to track down lately. Our concern over the weight of the boat is going down since I have been checking around for other comparisons. We got 4350 on the dual axel, home made trailer that has got to be 1000-1300 lbs range putting the boat in around 3000 lbs. Light for a 24 footer. With the right gears and prop we might have to join the scream and fly forum HAHA!

avimgod

Petty Officer 3rd Class

We finally got the engine back in last night and it's sunny and calm so far this morning. Just have to hook things up and put the drive back on so we'll be back out this afternoon for a test. We did find that the ratio for the drive is no good for the engine so that will have to be changed before we can get any real performance figures. Unfortunately the drive is a 1.84 and we need a 1.47 for the boat to work properly. The cheapest route will be to change the gears so unless somebody knows where we can get a good Alpha 1 gen 2 leg cheap that's what we'll have to do. It was mrs oops birthday the other day so he's been a little hard to track down lately. Our concern over the weight of the boat is going down since I have been checking around for other comparisons. We got 4350 on the dual axel, home made trailer that has got to be 1000-1300 lbs range putting the boat in around 3000 lbs. Light for a 24 footer. With the right gears and prop we might have to join the scream and fly forum HAHA!

WOW, he should pick up almost 10MPH just from the drive swap... and a good 4 blade prop to minimize slip and he should be seeing mid 40s easy...

What pitch is he running now? if a 19 3 blade, he is seeing HUGE prop slip... and the 1.84 isn't helping...

erikgreen

Captain

Unfortunately the drive is a 1.84 and we need a 1.47 for the boat to work properly. The cheapest route will be to change the gears so unless somebody knows where we can get a good Alpha 1 gen 2 leg cheap that's what we'll have to do.

Um, no it won't be. The gears inside the Alpha housings are very specifically fitted to that housing with shims and special tools to get them to mesh. Changing the gears can't be done properly without those tools, and the tools cost more than a new lower leg, and it's quite a bit of labor to get them fitted.

Happily, the gears you're worried about are only in the upper half of the drive, which you can change out pretty easily. I picked up one here locally on craigslist for about $300, and that was high.

A brand new one from SEI costs about $600.

Erik

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

I run a 6 cylinder leg from OMC on my Bayliner with a 305. It will run 50 to 60 dependent on water conditions. Sorry I dont remember the ratio I looked it up when I built the boat. Now the engine will turn 6000 rpm which is over reving the beast but I normally run in the 40 mph range. It will how ever jerk a skier up like a rocket.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hi guys.......sorry i was away.....

as noklu said it was mrs oops bday....so i was spending some time over there, and she wont let me post on her computer any more, as i kinda get caught up on the action here. !:D

ok....more updates.....just quickies. i just came home to get the bravo 3 drive cause i might have sold it.....then its back to the shop.

as noklu said....we may, or may not have found the cause of the vibration. i have found nothing i can point to and say......eureeka....thats it. in stead....just a lot of discrepancies that may or may not have addded to the problem...

1. wrong coupler....
this can be a cause of vibration because of the shaft not fitting into the coupler far enough....however....it went in plenty far and the alignment was great....so i cant see it being a major factor.

2. coupler slop...
there was sme play between the coupler and the drive shaft....not much...but some...
there is less with the new coupler supplied by i boater robj....(way to go rob)
the new coupler is the mercrusier suggested for the application, and the shaft goes in an extra 3/4 of an inch.

3. spring washer....
i had a half cracked spring washer......this is the washer between the flywheel cover mounting surface and the transom plate mount.
it is inserted inside the phenolic washer....the old one was broken slightly so a small part of the spring was missing......these were replaced.

4. motor mount isolators....
new ones were installed as the old ones were just loaners....the old set were worn out, but still did the job.

on monday...we spent the whole day searching for some studs to attach the flywheel and the coupler. the new system wouldnt take the standard grade 8 bolts....so we needed grade 8 studs....fine thread on one end....and a certain legnth !...it took all after noon and some of the evening to find them....i was at the point i went to a machine shop and was going to have them made.

yesterday ....with the correct parts. i installed the new coupler (since studs had to be used.....it took a long time to remove the ones i had allready installed and locktited in place....then install the new longer ones)....finally the motor was set in the boat. a hole opened up in the hoist bay shedule..and i swapped bays and had the motor installed and rough aligned in 30 mins !....(im getting good at it)

at this point ....

the motor is sitting in the boat...i am having a heck of a time with one of the big bolts that goes thru the t plate and the flywheel......there is a free floating nut there and i have been 4 hours trying to get it to line up !.

im going back to the shop right now to try and get that bolt aligned.....once thats done....ite just hook ups and installing the elbows.....1 hr max.

if all goes well.......ill flash the motor again tommorow and weather permitting test the new system on the lake....

lol....deja vu.....i seem to remembering typing that statment a few times...:eek:

possibly ill have an update tonight after i get home.

cheers
oops

NoKlu

Here on CL [Vancouver] the prices are a little higher. $2400 new SEI complete. The uppers are $1100 and higher. Used saltwater are between 14-2200 for the complete leg. And yes these are Alpha prices not Bravo lol. I know dealer cost on the SEI and these dealers here are gouging as far as I'm concerned. These are on the floor prices not hung on the transom. Don't forget the install kit and the zincs. oops! is going to try iboats and see what they can come up with.

Huron Angler

Admiral

oops! is going to try iboats and see what they can come up with.

If they cut a break on the shipping for anyone...it should be oops:D

Good luck getting the vibration eliminated, quite impressed by the diligence and lack of "quit" that I see in this thread.

Do you have plans for a canvas top with the wakeboard tower? It sure would hold in some of that heat your pumping up the the bow ingeniously:cool:

NoKlu

The only problem with ordering from any US seller for us is the time frame. You want it tomorrow, no problem, how much can you pay? Hopefully they can find an affordable shipper that won't charge outrageous brokerage on top of the shipping charges. One place I talked too sends a complete drive in 2 pieces through the mail to keep prices down. It would be nice to find a cheap one we could hang on the back tomorrow though. It'll be hard to wait 10 or so days for a US drive to get here.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

well.......its in and done.

the problem i had with the bolt, was fixed by loosening the motor mount lag bolts and taking a crowbar to the front end of the motor.....it pushed the back end of the motor back an eigth of an inch.......it bolted right up.

i checked the alignment for over an hour....moving it a quarter of a turn on the front mounts till it got out of range.....then back again....i can push and pull the tool in with two fingers in and ( a little harder ) out.

the rest of the hookups were quick. but i broke 2 hose clamps...:eek:.

lol....

i didnt put the drive on.....but thats six bolts after i pull it out of the shop tommorow....weather permitting.

the carb still isnt set...if i can get the mech to adjust it tommorow during run up. ill water test it again.....lets hope that nasty vibration is gone !

if the boat checks out then its on to the next phase.....the interior....

well......ol oops cannot sew a stitch......but ill bet ill be a pro after this little stint....

more tommorow....

cheers guys
oops

Status
Not open for further replies.