Funny "TLC needed" boat ads on Craigslist.

Jeepcollector91

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Funny "TLC needed" boat ads on Craigslist.

Glad to see that I am not the only one who is always looking out on how to make a buck or two. Last year I bought a POS that floated, and ran. Decent trailer, good motor, and a marshmallow floor. I still have to finish stripping some parts off to resale, scrap the aluminum deck plates and then chain saw the hull. Then I will have a nice wide utility trailer.

When its all said and done I paid for the whole rig to get the motor, that was all i was after anyway, the part out some of the stuff, I have the funds to re purpose the trailer for lawn care duty. :)

I currently have two parts boats in my yard. Both found on craigslist for very cheap.

One is a '93 Chaparral 1900 SLC with a good 4.3LX/V6 AlphaOne set up. The ad was actually for a 1986 Bayliner Trophy Hardtop Cuddy which had a bad motor and a really nice trailer. The Chaparral was offered for free with that boat if I wanted it. The trailer was rusted so bad it was breaking in half (hauled it on a flatbed), the floor was mush, and all the seats/cushions were gone. I basically paid $860 for both boats. I ended up selling the Bayliner for a $1000, sold the windshield off the Chaparral for $100, still have the 4.3 Mercruiser stuff to sell, and have nice cleats & grab handles to use on another project.

The second boat is a 1975 Starcraft American 16. It was on Craigslist for $400 for the boat, motor, & trailer. The floor & stringers were trash, the motor wiring was all hacked up, the leaf springs on the trailer were broken at each end. I paid $200 for it. After repairing the wiring, replacing the fuel pump, fuel primer, & starter the engine runs great. It is a 1985 Johnson 115hp with a stainless steel prop. The trailer only needs an axle & springs. Boat has a good windshield & a brand new Teleflex Steering set up.

I am going to use many parts off these boats to install on my 1966 Starcraft Jupiter (purchased on ebay $531.23 boat,motor,& trailer) The rest of the parts will either be saved for future projects or sold for profit. Just shows that sometimes these cheap or free boat listings look like garbage but they are always worth checking out.

Maclin

Admiral

Good job Jeep, I wish I had the room to flip stuff like that. I can see the opportunites just no space to pull it off right now!

Jeepcollector91

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Not a boat; but I had to post. Barely used prop.......with a huge whammy?:confused:
http://youngstown.craigslist.org/bod/3054416991.html

I think when they said
"for sale a barelly used propeller. bought new and used a few times till boat was sold."
they actually meant bought new and used a few times till boat was totaled in a rear end collision on the trailer.

Maclin

Admiral

here is a great deal from an honest fella!!
if you want to throw a bunch of cash away this might be for you!

http://houston.craigslist.org/boa/3055865741.html

"...boat has no title the guy I got the boat from didn't transfer the title in he's name and lost it now all you have to do is track down the registered owner which is in Louisiana are you can file for a bonded Texas title which takes about to weeks and cost about $300..."

Statements like this just kill me. They did enough research to know all of that, but can't track the owner down now? and this is the person they bought it from? and they think the next sucker can? Bought a boat in Lousiana and then found out they cannot title it at home in Houston. wow.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

"...boat has no title the guy I got the boat from didn't transfer the title in he's name and lost it now all you have to do is track down the registered owner which is in Louisiana are you can file for a bonded Texas title which takes about to weeks and cost about $300..."

Statements like this just kill me. They did enough research to know all of that, but can't track the owner down now? and this is the person they bought it from? and they think the next sucker can? Bought a boat in Lousiana and then found out they cannot title it at home in Houston. wow.

Yup. This is definitely one of the worst ads that I have seen on this thread......

Philster

Captain

Enjoy this Hillbilly fishun rig...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://delaware.craigslist.org/boa/3023061246.html

"89 Capri - $2150 (Fredericksburg VA)

Date: 2012-06-04, 3:11PM EDT
Reply to: 6vx4f-3023061246@sale.craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

1989 18' Bayliner Capri

- 350 C.I. I/O
- Galvanized Trailer is included in sale

This fishing boat comes loaded....

- Hard Top w/rod holders
- Casting Platforms with Pedestal Seats
- Eagle Fish Finder
- Marine Radio
- Stereo

Asking $2,150.00 obro
Will consider all reasonable offers.

Interested? Please contact us!
Additional photos are available upon request.

Five 4 0 - Eight 0 Nine - Six 6 Seven 6
Call or Text with questions or better yet, with an offer!

zbayliner45.jpgz-bayliner.jpg

QC

Supreme Mariner

Post #3149 is a Scam. They usually have the reg numbers missing or they are obviously from out of state. This is a California boat. Report as a scam.

Edit, Google: victoria.adams48@comcast.net First hit.

Philster

Captain

Same scam ad is on Craig's List in Phila, PA area, too.

Fairly common.