• Poll closed .

brnschoneck

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Friscoboater's 1986 Glastron Carlson CVX-18 Complete restoration thread

awesome job jayy....

Okieboatguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice pretty new boat Jay, Noticed that the de-naming ceremony has taken place, so the old name shall not be mentioned, so what is the new name?

ster1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks guys

I have never seen it done that way, but it sounds like it could be a good idea if you have room. I do not know if I have room beside the engine to do that. I really think the engine plays a part in the support between the transom and the stringers. I might be wrong though.

Good point!

ster1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well, well...Captain Jay has a beautiful looking new addition to the fleet...Congratulations, Sir...a more deserving individual, there isn't...consider me "jonesing" for more pics!
And the progress on the Carlson is quite outstanding, also...:D

Very good question!
From the limited research I have done and my general understanding of an I/O set up, I have come to the conclusion that all things being equal, the transom and the motor mounts/stringers, etc. being solid, all of the driving forces of the are basically equally spread throughout those mounting/attachment points, basically negating the need for "Knee" type stringers {gusset shaped connections between the transom and the stringers}, such as might be found in the design of a bass type boat with an outboard engine...
Like I said, that is my understanding...:)

Another good point. Having never owned a Merc or actually even looked closely at one, I always thought by what I read everywhere that the drive was mounted on the transom (which it is) and the engine was somehow "floating" for lack of a better term, more or less unattached, and uninvolved in the forces generated by the drive. That was always a bit of a mystery to me. I went out and got a manual on it, and learned that the engine is indeed mounted to the inside of the transom, and acts as a stressed member. Motors make good gueests :) ... And I'm done hijacking this thread. Thankye!

chadc880

Cadet

Watch your videos all the time and have learn so much and gained tons of Confidence in my own projects

Saw this tonight on Craigslist locally

1979 Glastron Carlson CVX18

Last Mohican

Chief Petty Officer

I have seen several twin turbo boats just not a twin turbo under a hatch on a smaller boat like that. Can you say Sleeper.

lincolncaster

Recruit

Jay you have been such a great help if it wasn't for you awsome videos I wouldn't feel as relaxed about jumping into my own restore thanks for the help
Paul. P.s. next time I'm in texas I owe you a coors light

Rebel01

Seaman Apprentice

Jay you have been such a great help if it wasn't for you awsome videos I wouldn't feel as relaxed about jumping into my own restore thanks for the help
Paul. P.s. next time I'm in texas I owe you a coors light

I second that....great vids & pics that definitely be utilized for many a resto...

IslanderVT

Seaman Apprentice

I agree with everyone...the videos are a big help...especially all the content on fiberglass technique...great stuff and very very helpful for me to do a professional job on my restoration. Keep up the good work!!!

Question on the Carlson bilge. Looks like you have limited the bilge area to under the engine...I don't see a hole allowing bilge water under the deck. I'm looking at the same issue with my Seebold rebuild...do I allow water under the deck like the original design had, or plug it off?

I'm concerned about how the boat would respond in an emergency swamping situation, like a big thunderstorm that dumps a couple inches of rain all at once, or a hose rupture that pumps in a lot of water without detection, or a big wave that dumps water over the stern.

Seems to me that limiting water to only the bilge area could lead to a lot of weight in the stern and in a boat with low freeboard, this could become a sinking/swamping risk. With my factory design, the water could spread and keep the boat more level...it could surround the gas tank and even go up into the bow area if it was deep enough (zero floatation foam in the factory build).

At this point, although I don't want to deal with rotted wood again, I'm inclined to leave the egress for the water to go forward.

With all the foam you added to the hull, that boat isn't going to sink anyway...but with mine I have a 31 gal gas tank under the deck that takes up a lot of space that would otherwise be floatation.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

In a swamping situation there's no HOLE that's gunna dump water fast enuf. As for a Hard rain storm if you think that might be a possibility you need to plan for, then a 2,000 gph bilge pump might be something for you to consider. That's about 35 gallons a minute so it's gunna have to be a purdy good "Gully Washer" to fill yer boat with that thing pumpin away!!!! If you're up on Plane runnin fer cover and the water's all goin to the bilge, IMHO you'd be fine.;)

But... That is just an
OldDumbOkie.jpg
Opinion!!:eek:

IslanderVT

Seaman Apprentice

Yes, I'm planning a new bigger bilge pump, and one with an automatic float switch...that seems like it would reduce the risk I'm worried about substantially.

I don't view it as a big risk either way...as you say the catastrophic failures like swamping by a wave or a hull breech are not going to be prevented by a small bilge egress. That's what life jackets are for, and in these cases having additional foam floatation instead of egress space may be the key to saving the boat and providing a refuge for a rescue.

This was previously a go fast have fun boat for me, but now I have a young family so I'm getting paranoid about safety issues a lot more!

MuzzikMan

Cadet

Jay,
Thanks for all the posts and videos they have been so helpful in preparing for my up and coming project.
I just had a question about gluing methods. I notice sometimes you prefer PL glue, sometimes it's PB and other times you go right to resin/chopped strand between boards or while securing to the deck... What determines your choice, is it all by preferrence? And, are there times when you can only use one or the other?

Thanks again!

P.S. not sure if someone already posted a similiar question I can referrence or if anyone else knows about this... any input is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

esimmons92

Petty Officer 3rd Class

resin and chop strand = PB

pl glue is much cheaper & it provides much more working time

PB is used mostly when a quick setup time is needed and cost is not an issue.
Also PB is used when making the fillets for the stringers to make a good bond for the hull to the stringer (also pl glue has a tendency to "bubble up" as it is drying causing it to be very hard to lay glass on top of it.)

I used PL glue to:
glue by transom together
glue my transom to the hull
bed the stringers and bulk heads to the hull

I used PB to:
make my fillets for the stringers and transom
(I have found that if you lay your 1st layer of glass over your fillet before it has fully kicked your fillet does not have to be perfect because it will mold to the layer of glass when you roll it out. which means no sanding!!!!)

MuzzikMan

Cadet

esimmons92
Thanks for the helpful response. I will be diving into a project this summer and I can use all the helpful advise I can get...lol

Skootz

Recruit

Thanks for all the great info. I'm just starting my first boat rebuild. I have a decent amount of fiberglass experience in the aerospace industry but I'm new to boating. I have some questions and would appreciate answers from anyone willing to help.

1. When using polyester resin should I use a wax addative for the final layer of glass? You said to use the wax with the final layer of gel-coat for it to properly cure so I was wondering if the same rule applied to the poly resin?

2. You mentioned and showed a pic of the 2x2 you bonded to the side of the stringer, was that so you would'nt have to screw the deck screws into the stringer? Did you put PL glue or anything on top of the stringers to help bond them to the bottom of the deck? I was also wondering if it was worth the extra time and effort to plan out my new deck so that all the seems were lined up with the stringers to prevent a floating seem?

Friscoboater

Captain

Hello everyone,

I had to take a little time off due to complete burnout. I was starting to get irritated with the boat, and that is not a good thing. So I plan on getting back on the boat build soon and get it done!

sheboyganjohn

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Good move Jay. You just have to walk away and relax every once in a while, you cannot be at it non stop. That leads to just wanting it done and taking the easiest route, not necessarily the best route.

Okieboatguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Agreed, Good Move, it is summer, enjoy the new boat, and the days spent with the family at the lake. That is the reason you have them, not to let them control you and your time! If it's not fun you are doing something wrong!