Votes: 34 66.7%
  • Glue in

Votes: 17 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Friscoboater's 1986 Glastron Carlson CVX-18 Complete restoration thread

Frisco, first, I wanted to to say I appreciate your work! I read every page of the Searay build. I just found his one, Im still back on page 7. Anyway, glad you are playing with a Glastron.....I have a weakness for them my self. Keep up the good work!! I am learning a bunch from you....Thanks! If you haven't found them yet, look at classicglastron.com, you will find a bunch of great info...

GWPSR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Saw the pics of "Against The Odds". Yow. I suppose you'll need to start a thread for that boat now too?

Hoping the marina gets that sheet metal off her soon so you can begin to assess what's needed.

tpenfield

Staff member

Saw the pics of "Against The Odds". Yow. I suppose you'll need to start a thread for that boat now too?

Hoping the marina gets that sheet metal off her soon so you can begin to assess what's needed.

I heard about the Texas marina roof collapse as well. 'SilverBullet' had posted something about it over on BABC. Total bummer. :(

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Sorry to hear about the boat Jay, that really sucks. The weather this year hasn't been very much fun for any of us!

Chris_94_Sprint_TX

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry to hear of the boat Jay, hopefully there isn't too much damage.

Chris

Friscoboater

Captain

Thanks guys. It has been a crappy week. We hope to get the boat out from its tomb in the next day or so, and then we can start assessing the damage.

Here are the links to the complete photo stream of all the work so far.

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A75Uzl7VG58UJ5

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A7Grq0zwG3MAVl

file_zpscb29999b.jpg

file_zps89cb4bd4.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I always knew that anything made of TIN was not a Good thing!!!!:eek: I HAD to say that for JAS!!!!:D

Man that really SUCKS!!!! I sincerely hope when you cut her out of that mess you find she survived with just a few bumps and scrapes and no major damage.

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member

Wow . . . looks like about 2-3 inches of ice that was on the roof when it collapsed. So, that is like a 10-15 lb./foot loading. It does not seem like much, I wonder if met local building codes, etc?

Hopefully, your boat will be repairable.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

that sucks. Hope your boat is repairable. lots of crushed dreams there.

saginawbayboater

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I always knew that anything made of TIN was not a Good thing!!!!:eek: I HAD to say that for JAS!!!!:D

^^^+1 It was prolly riveted together!

What is strange though is that not all the shelters collapsed, just that area?:confused::confused:

Last edited:

slow joe

Seaman

Jay I saw the post on your facebook page about the big boat. Hope it comes out alright without major damage. -- Hope the marina and your insurance pick up the tab as well if there are repairs.

I also have to give this and your sea ray build a huge thumbs up. With all of the pics and videos I'm going to be attempting my own build this winter. :eagerness:

Friscoboater

Captain

Thanks guys. They almost have my boat free, and we met with the adjuster today. Looks like the radar arch, the canopy enclosure. a window, and some gelcoat damage so we will know more when they get her out.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Darn Jay,
Sorry to see what happened but glad that you guys weren't under that mess when it came down, like someone I heard about that lives aboard his.
Hope that everything can be repaired and made like new again.
Best regards,
Gus

Friscoboater

Captain

Darn Jay,
Sorry to see what happened but glad that you guys weren't under that mess when it came down, like someone I heard about that lives aboard his.
Hope that everything can be repaired and made like new again.
Best regards,
Gus

Yeah, I had to go get Jason (the guy that lived on his boat) with a dinghy. If you watch the news story on Channel 11 you will see my in the little boat.

blueangel

Cadet

let me know when shes up for sale!

Chris_94_Sprint_TX

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hopefully they will take care of it quickly and give you a good deal Jay.

Chris

clockwatcher

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dang Jay. I saw that in the news. I was hoping your rig wasn't involved. I hope it all works out for the best.

nyberg

Recruit

i had to register here after i read your threads, great work on all 3 boats,
alot off pictures real nice, and videos to top it off :eek: awesome,

doing same work on a chris craft and its nice to see how it will look when im done, to get some inspiration so i dont give up :)

and if my eng is junk im writing all way from sweden so must be something whit internet ;)

vincechig1975

Petty Officer 1st Class

Jay, You are an inspiration to all of us DIY guys. Keep on a going. Sorry it's been so long since my last post, being a single dad isn't exactly easy and working the long days builds the character but the kids get me in the wallet. I still have my SmokerCraft but on hold til I
get the poly and other necessities for my rebuild. My Cobia died a horrible death,nobody was hurt, thank God for insurance. My luck has changed for the better and now we're movin on. New photos to follow in the next few weeks. Vince

Last edited:

Friscoboater

Captain

Hey guys... I know it has been a while, and I hate being away for so long. Life has just been crazy and I have not had a lot of time to do much of anything. I have a goal to get the Carlson done in the next month or so, and I really do not lack that much. I am so ready to cream across the lake in that boat.

We finally got settled with the insurance company and the big boat will be out of the water for the repairs in the next week or so. We still do not have a place to park her, but they are rebuilding the entire dock.

The time has come to sell the Sea Ray, and I have listed it up on ebay, if you would like the link let me know via PM and I will send it to you.

So I hope to be posting again soon now that life is back in order.