Votes: 34 66.7%
  • Glue in

Votes: 17 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Last Mohican

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Friscoboater's 1986 Glastron Carlson CVX-18 Complete restoration thread

Looking forward to the gel repair info. I have a couple of small places I would like to fix on my Daytona.

73Chrysler105

Chief Petty Officer

This will make some of the Glastron lovers sad. CV23 at the dump.

20130216_141640.jpg

glastronvscaterpillar - YouTube

Matt that looks almost like a TX19 in the pic upside down and all flattened out doesn't it? Or am I just seeing things?

Last Mohican

Chief Petty Officer

Matt that looks almost like a TX19 in the pic upside down and all flattened out doesn't it? Or am I just seeing things?

Not a winger. Just some old V-hull

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Nice job as usual on the video's Jay. You pretty much summed up polishing (whatever the surface), its all about smaller and smaller scratches till the human eye can't distinguish the scratches. I don't envy you on color sanding the gelcoat the only thing worse is polishing stainless. That's a lot of of gelcoat to sand and sand and sand....but nothing like seeing that shine come back! Looks great! On your second buffing step, you might try 3M perfect-it next time. I used it after their Super-Duty on a couple of clear coat sags I got on Miss Morgan. I hadn't used it before, but it worked great on Urethane. It would be interesting to see how it works on gelcoat. Its kind of a in-between transition from the heavy duty rubbing compound and the swirl-mark remover. Looking forward to seeing the gelcoat repair video!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Jay, I really enjoyed the gel coat video over on youtube. I guess I missed in the first video, sounds like you are using something like perfect-it before the swirl remover. The repairs to the gel look Awesome! The glitter looks like it came out great. You may have checked with them, but House of Color also makes a lot of big flake additive. Matching flake color and ratio is a nightmare, looks like the one you used is right on!

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

As always - great videos! great progress!

That's a pro repair on those gel coat spots...

Friscoboater

Captain

Nice job as usual on the video's Jay. You pretty much summed up polishing (whatever the surface), its all about smaller and smaller scratches till the human eye can't distinguish the scratches. I don't envy you on color sanding the gelcoat the only thing worse is polishing stainless. That's a lot of of gelcoat to sand and sand and sand....but nothing like seeing that shine come back! Looks great! On your second buffing step, you might try 3M perfect-it next time. I used it after their Super-Duty on a couple of clear coat sags I got on Miss Morgan. I hadn't used it before, but it worked great on Urethane. It would be interesting to see how it works on gelcoat. Its kind of a in-between transition from the heavy duty rubbing compound and the swirl-mark remover. Looking forward to seeing the gelcoat repair video!

The stuff I am using is similar to perfect it. I have use the perfect it for a long time, but it is very expensive, and Auto Magic gives me great results too. Plus it is half the price. The flake was a pain and has now officially put a me a few weeks behind, but the boat looks great, and that is all that matters.

Friscoboater

Captain

Hey guys, I am sorry I have not updated in a few weeks, and I will post alot of pictures and videos of the polishing process soon. I have one more video to edit first.

I need a little inout from you guys. We were trying to build the seat bases this weekend, but ran in to a little issue... height. After build the seat bases to screw too... like the sea ray, the seats are ridiculously high even at their lowest point. I felt like I was going to fall out of the boat. I found some low profile adjustable seat bases that allow for swivel and fore and aft adjustment, but they are pretty pricey... like close to 300 with shipping for the pair pricey. Using these the seat is a still a little high for my taste, but they have great adjustment. I could always just build a higher pedestal and just screw the seat right to the pedestal, and call it a day. I just do not know how much anyone would want fore and aft, and swivel adjustment.

What do you guys think?

dorelse

Chief Petty Officer

They weren't adjustable from the factory Jay...and the boat already has a low freeboard as it is...so, I'd just get some very low bases (very low) and go from there.

What I've seen done, is that a box base is built (small in height) with this swivel base on it to the proper height...

2 x Aquatrack Marine Boat Seat Swivel Base Mounts Heavy Duty EDC Coated 7" | eBay

jbcurt00

Staff member

Can you mount the swivel/slides directly to a base, instead of on a pedestal?

These mounts slide & swivel and only raise the seat 3.75"
19555-1-md.jpg
19555-3-md.jpg

Decker83

Commander

Jay
Just watched the youtube vid.. The color was as you said spot on.. The black and glitter excellent..
From what I could see I don't think anyone could have done a better job.. Congratts on a perfect job..

Friscoboater

Captain

Can you mount the swivel/slides directly to a base, instead of on a pedestal?

These mounts slide & swivel and only raise the seat 3.75"
19555-1-md.jpg
19555-3-md.jpg

Those were the exact ones I was looking at, but they were about $135 each. They still still higher than what I wanted. I am really turning in to a super anal perfectionist on this boat. It is killing me!

I really want to the seats to be even with the gunwale, and I guess I could cut the seat down a bit to make it work.

Friscoboater

Captain

Jay
Just watched the youtube vid.. The color was as you said spot on.. The black and glitter excellent..
From what I could see I don't think anyone could have done a better job.. Congratts on a perfect job..

Thank you!

Friscoboater

Captain

They weren't adjustable from the factory Jay...and the boat already has a low freeboard as it is...so, I'd just get some very low bases (very low) and go from there.

What I've seen done, is that a box base is built (small in height) with this swivel base on it to the proper height...

2 x Aquatrack Marine Boat Seat Swivel Base Mounts Heavy Duty EDC Coated 7" | eBay

Can you do that on a drivers seat? I thought they had to lock?

jbcurt00

Staff member

I think there needs to be a positive mechanical lock on any helm seat that swivels or slides.

These swivel/slides look lower profile then the previous 1 I posted:
P_1100550-L-320x320.jpg

But the listed dimensions don't show it's height......... I also don't find them for sale anywhere online :facepalm: But a phone call to Springfield can answer both questions.....

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

J can you resess the swivel/slide up into the seat base far enough without doing away with any of the cushion material and still get the hieght you want?

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Finally got a chance to see the gel repair video...

Wow!, what else can I say...you hit it clear out'a the park with that one...

You nailed the colors and showed that with a ton of perseverance, determination and true grit, anything is possible...

You have taken a lot of the fear and mystery out of this seemingly impossible task...

I am humbled...

Thanks again for sharing your experience.

BTW, on the adjustable seat base...my thought would be that you would really only need it at the helm position...

redstrat

Petty Officer 1st Class

Frisco, great build. Here are a couple of seats I built from scratch. It really wasn't too hard. I used 1/4, 3/8 ply, epoxy and mat. Just a thought.

Attachments

• IMG_5200.jpg
    IMG_5200.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5354.jpg
    IMG_5354.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5386.jpg
    IMG_5386.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 0

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I know the feeling on the seat height issue. Since I went with back to back the swivel / slide wasn't an option. I really don't mind not having the swivel, but I haven't used it for skiing very often. The swivel is really nice for that. As for the slide, I just left the toe board out, that way it doesn't matter how long your legs are. The distance to the wheel is of course fixed,that works ok most of the time....unless you have someone really tall or really short. I wonder if your could find some sliding tracks that are low profile, without a swivel? Might save you and inch or two.

tfitch03

Seaman

Frisco, great build. Here are a couple of seats I built from scratch. It really wasn't too hard. I used 1/4, 3/8 ply, epoxy and mat. Just a thought.

Those seats are awesome! Nice job.