Dress her up or not? Opinions wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chriscraft254

Commander
Ok, so some of you have been following along my refurb/upgrade thread. But I am looking for opinions from anyone.

I have a teak bow pulpit, swim platform, side steps, cabin doors etc. I tend to lean towards semetrical things and feel that I might want to add some teak trim to the walk around area.

I have cut a couple peices as samples to look at and fit. The peices would be an accent peice that extends from the wa steps to the bow. I am on the fence on this and just want to know if you guys think it would look good. I have never seen it on another boat like this.

All opinions welcome, yay or nay?

Here is a pic showing where the teak would start, it would run all the way up to the bow following the curvature of the boat. I would taper the both ends where it would stop to make them look better than stopping square. This would all be finished to match the existing teak on the boat.
becky212.jpg

Here is a couple pics overview of the boat, the swim platform is off right now for bottom paint removal. This should give you an idea of the over all look of the teak on the boat now. The sample peices are on the port side, again these will extend all the way to the bow and start where the above pic shows.
becky230.jpg

becky236.jpg

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Dress her up or not? Opinions wanted.

this is your boat buddy.....you can do what ever you want to it.

IMHO.....the teak walk way would look great.....and just finish it off

chriscraft254

Commander

Oops, I thought along that route but the only one I have seen was synthetic teak which imo looks like dodo,lol I also really like to be able to wash down the decks with nothing to collect dirt and grime.

What do you think about the accent peice? would it look good?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

yes i do !

The Rooster

Ensign

I'd have to say "YAY". It would be unique, classy, and one of a kind on a boat that's in phenomenal shape !!!

chriscraft254

Commander

I'd have to say "YAY". It would be unique, classy, and one of a kind on a boat that's in phenomenal shape !!!

Thanks man. I think so to, but still on the fence. I think it would be a nice accent not seen before on any walkaround I have seen anyway. It will be a hard job because I will be trying to bend the teak using steam and water. It will take some time.

I am considering teaking the front seat as well with a dolphin inlay. The boats name is Dahl Fins II. Undecided on that as well. May be better with a rebuilt cushion up there, but they deteriorate to fast.

Here is a better pic of the bow area. The trim peice would stop where the curve stops on both sides. think it will look better than connecting the two.

More opinions welcome. Thanks guys:)

Newboatpics703.jpg

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Wow, that would look real classy, I think that would definitely compliment the entire look of the boat...

I have one opinion that may be over the top, but could also be sorta the crowning touch...since the boat seems to have that raised rib all the way around, I think following that with the teak would create a frame effect on the boat and tie all of the teak together...

I also love the idea of the Dolphin inlay...that would actually be the creme de la creme...oooh-la-la...

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

PS- I was just thinking that the bent/curved sections, might be built by building a curved jig that matches the curves, then lay up the teak in thin strips,slightly oversize, laminated with either epoxy or water-proof glue...??? Then router the rabbet on the underside to fit the rail and trim to fit...

chriscraft254

Commander

Wow, that would look real classy, I think that would definitely compliment the entire look of the boat...

I have one opinion that may be over the top, but could also be sorta the crowning touch...since the boat seems to have that raised rib all the way around, I think following that with the teak would create a frame effect on the boat and tie all of the teak together...

I also love the idea of the Dolphin inlay...that would actually be the creme de la creme...oooh-la-la...

Thanks for your opinions. I thought about continuing the trim around but I don't think it would look good. this will just accent the bow curvature and add some teak but not to much to that area. The stern and cabin I think have enough already. The framed in look is not what I am looking for, just balancing the teak throughout the boat.

I want to try and bend one peice for each side so it matches the other teak on board, if I can't get it to bend that much it will have to be layed up peices. Definately going to have to build a jig probably or maybe be able to press it into the hull area along the inside edge over time with some wedges against the cabin. Of coarse I will have to be carefull to not screw something else up,lol

On another note, might be incorperating some led lighting around that walkway as well.

jbcurt00

Staff member

I like the Teak bow seat & inlay. Maybe add a snap in/out cushion for the seat bottom, inlay in the back rest. Depending on your skill w/ a scroll saw or knowing someone w/ a water-jet, I suspect a $1 cutting board might be sacraficed for the dolphin shape. Epoxy it in & back light it...

southkogs

Staff member

Okay <switches "designer" mode ON>

The accents are not necessary for a visual balance on the boat. You're actually framed in rather well between the existing teak. Especially if you add the bow seat (and I like the idea of a glowing dolphin inlay - would match your "Chris Craft" logo that I think glows too, right?), you're definitely framed in visually. I don't know that I'd put a back on the bow seat ... might be too much.

Right now the grey/white of the deck has a clean, sharp look to it. In a utility/fishing type of boat, I like that kind of feel - "all business." The teak walkway accents is going to warm that up, and detract from the "sharp" color structure. Makes it feel a little more "homey" and not as much "business of fishin'" - if you follow me. I think I'd personally lean toward doing the bow seat first, and then see if I think it's getting to be too much wood.

<switches "designer" mode OFF>

It's your boat, and nothing you've done so far looks bad (your quality of work is very good). The accents would be completely unique, and would wind up lookin' right nice. They won't hurt the look of the boat at all (especially when beauty is in the eye of the beholder), and you'd have something no one else does. If you're leaning for it ... don't listen to the "designer." :D

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Budd, you are an artist.... I don't think ANYONE would consider it tacky and I think you would get lots of complements on it..... That said.... I HAD a boat with teak on the deck. It was an arrow glass cuddy and I can tell you that after an hour with a pressure washer I gave up on trying to get the last of the crud out from under the teak so I took it all up, cleaned it, refinished it, and put it back down. After half a season, I was back to the same situation of black streaks washing out and no amount of washing would get it all out... plus all the screws were a constant leak problem.... Of course I didn't know not to use silly kone on a boat then.

I think you would do a beautiful job but I agree with the "designer" and I wouldn't want to have to take care of it.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I think it would look really sharp and it would break up the white, should be a really nice accent, that is the beauty of boats, you can do whatever you want to them and make them yours, one more YAY.

evolution1985

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok so I know that Im going to sound like a sheep here, but short answer is YES, most definitely.

Longer answer is based on the quality of work that you have done to your craft, the attention to detail that you have put in and the thought behind how you have done the work is great. I did read through all of what you have done since you bought her, and I was amazed with how you have brought all the woodwork on it back to life. Im sure that you will put the same attention to detail into doing the accent as you have with everything else so im even more certain, Because of that It will look awesome. Plus the upside is the more personal touches that you add the less chance you have of mistaking your boat for another.

No more "honey did we park in the itchy lot?" :p
(its late here so forgive my really bad humour :facepalm: )

Sandbank

Seaman

Tried to resist but could'nt! so my 2c worth...Firstly that is one sweet lookin boat. But to the topic... when I look at the aerial view of the boat, at the moment there seems to be a nice balance in each 1/3rd of the boat between teak and the modern clean lines. You have a nice balance of teak at the bow, amidships in the helm area and astern/deck on the gunnels. To add what ur considering in my humble opinion may lose this balance and take it backwards to a retro 80's look, which, given the condition and model of your boat I feel may not be the best option. Additionally once it is on u have to maintain it!

chriscraft254

Commander

Wow, I go to bed early and wham! Thankyou all for all the replies, it will inevitably help in the end decision for sure! I appreciate all the responses.:)

I like the Teak bow seat & inlay. Maybe add a snap in/out cushion for the seat bottom, inlay in the back rest. Depending on your skill w/ a scroll saw or knowing someone w/ a water-jet, I suspect a $1 cutting board might be sacraficed for the dolphin shape. Epoxy it in & back light it...

Thank man, I already have a lit up chris craft logo, same with the teak, don't want it to be to much. Maybe adding some strip lighting forward on a seperate switch. The inlay would be all teak with a different color wood for the inlay probably. But not sure the seat being wood is a good idea, I would almost opt for just doing the trim peices and not the seat area..

Okay <switches "designer" mode ON>

The accents are not necessary for a visual balance on the boat. You're actually framed in rather well between the existing teak. Especially if you add the bow seat (and I like the idea of a glowing dolphin inlay - would match your "Chris Craft" logo that I think glows too, right?), you're definitely framed in visually. I don't know that I'd put a back on the bow seat ... might be too much.

Right now the grey/white of the deck has a clean, sharp look to it. In a utility/fishing type of boat, I like that kind of feel - "all business." The teak walkway accents is going to warm that up, and detract from the "sharp" color structure. Makes it feel a little more "homey" and not as much "business of fishin'" - if you follow me. I think I'd personally lean toward doing the bow seat first, and then see if I think it's getting to be too much wood.

<switches "designer" mode OFF>

It's your boat, and nothing you've done so far looks bad (your quality of work is very good). The accents would be completely unique, and would wind up lookin' right nice. They won't hurt the look of the boat at all (especially when beauty is in the eye of the beholder), and you'd have something no one else does. If you're leaning for it ... don't listen to the "designer." :D

Thanks southkogs, its like you reached inside my mind, we think very much alike. Thats why I am on the fence, I like the clean look that it now has. I will not be putting a backing on the seat. have seen that and don't think it looks right.

I think having more teak in the stern looks good because it kinda weights the boat down back there, if you know what I mean,lol The worry up front is I don't want it to look clumzy or just over done or bow heavy. I think I am going to have to make some full length templates up so I can get a real visial on what it would look like before I make a discision. My thoughts on everything you said are very similar and I appreciate it.

Budd, you are an artist.... I don't think ANYONE would consider it tacky and I think you would get lots of complements on it..... That said.... I HAD a boat with teak on the deck. It was an arrow glass cuddy and I can tell you that after an hour with a pressure washer I gave up on trying to get the last of the crud out from under the teak so I took it all up, cleaned it, refinished it, and put it back down. After half a season, I was back to the same situation of black streaks washing out and no amount of washing would get it all out... plus all the screws were a constant leak problem.... Of course I didn't know not to use silly kone on a boat then.

I think you would do a beautiful job but I agree with the "designer" and I wouldn't want to have to take care of it.

An artist? Wow,Thanks Smoke! The only place being considered on the deck really is the front seat, I am kinda leaning away from doing the seat. Think it will be more comfortable with a white vinyl cushion and clean looking. The teak trim on the other hand would be preformed to fit exactly and then finished before installing. It would probably be set in a bead of 4200 instead of screwing it down to keep it seamless.

Don't know that I can accomplish the project as I stated but would give it a try before putting screws through it. Unlike the step pads in the stern gunnels, these would not be walked on much if at all. It will require maintenance but the location should shed water right off of it. Still very much on the fence and don't have to do it at all. Will definately be continuing the other projects first.

I think it would look really sharp and it would break up the white, should be a really nice accent, that is the beauty of boats, you can do whatever you want to them and make them yours, one more YAY.

Thanks man, I definately think it would be unique. Just don't want it to be tacky:eek:

Ok so I know that Im going to sound like a sheep here, but short answer is YES, most definitely.

Longer answer is based on the quality of work that you have done to your craft, the attention to detail that you have put in and the thought behind how you have done the work is great. I did read through all of what you have done since you bought her, and I was amazed with how you have brought all the woodwork on it back to life. Im sure that you will put the same attention to detail into doing the accent as you have with everything else so im even more certain, Because of that It will look awesome. Plus the upside is the more personal touches that you add the less chance you have of mistaking your boat for another.

No more "honey did we park in the itchy lot?" :p
(its late here so forgive my really bad humour :facepalm: )

Lol, bad humour is always allowed here,lol Thanks for the complements, I think attention to detail goes along way, plus I'm a little anal about things. If I do make the trims, It will definately be a custom thing. It will have to be done slowly and purposefully. I really have a great design in my head where it wouldn't look clumpy, but more sleak and smooth. Basically trying to make it look like it has always been there.

Tried to resist but could'nt! so my 2c worth...Firstly that is one sweet lookin boat. But to the topic... when I look at the aerial view of the boat, at the moment there seems to be a nice balance in each 1/3rd of the boat between teak and the modern clean lines. You have a nice balance of teak at the bow, amidships in the helm area and astern/deck on the gunnels. To add what ur considering in my humble opinion may lose this balance and take it backwards to a retro 80's look, which, given the condition and model of your boat I feel may not be the best option. Additionally once it is on u have to maintain it!

Thankyou Sir. I am afraid it will look tacky and don't want that, so I think I have to make up a full side and really look at this before anything gets installed. The clean look and maintenance free area does not bother me one bit,lol I am just glad I don't have carpet in my boat. Especially if it was 80's carpet! lol

chriscraft254

Commander

Hey Guys, here is a totally different look on the same type boat, 254 Chris Craft. My personal opinion is this one could have looked awesome with the painted hull , if the owner would have done less with the interior. Or accented the colors of the hull somewhere. I do not like all the teak floors in her and the seat is questionable up front. Just goes to show how different the exact same boats can look.

I am looking at alot of different boats to get ideas from. :)

detail_01905670a254d519.jpg

detail_019056c2fd625566.jpg

detail_019056441620f0a7.jpg

chriscraft254

Commander

One other idea I have thrown around is, scrap the other ideas and make a trim peice that would go where the existing striping is on the cabin sides. It would be very thin and taper at the ends. I have yet to find any striping for the boat or design that I like.

I also like this look, but not sure how something like that would look either. Thanks again

325_3509601_863b5ee8-3119-4ad0-bbb6-64e3fabe02f3.jpg

sasto

Captain

I have followed your other thread, CC. I like her just the way she is!

Like others have said "She is yours, do what you want"

No matter what you decide, she will remain a beautuful boat......and job (pleasure) well done!....Sir....;)

Status
Not open for further replies.