Dress her up or not? Opinions wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: Dress her up or not? Opinions wanted.

If you're worried about seeing the bulb's reflection or creating hotspots of light directly against the hull just below where you mount the strip, cant your dado so that the hull side is low, & the walkway side is higher:
Walkway lights.jpg
Even if it's only 1/16", it makes a difference...... Nice job on the mock-up, BTW. Esp if it mimics an existing molding already on the boat..... Nice job in the rain today. BMGroup is a really great show if it's ever a possibility......

chriscraft254

Commander

If you're worried about seeing the bulb's reflection or creating hotspots of light directly against the hull just below where you mount the strip, cant your dado so that the hull side is low, & the walkway side is higher:
View attachment 132771
Even if it's only 1/16", it makes a difference...... Nice job on the mock-up, BTW. Esp if it mimics an existing molding already on the boat..... Nice job in the rain today. BMGroup is a really great show if it's ever a possibility......

Yes it could be dado like that, but no need really with them shining straight down. If I point them towards the hull you would see a reflection for sure. Think this will work fine. The molding was about 3 minutes on the table saw and a quik router of the edge. nothing to tricky;)

southkogs

Staff member

Weather hasn't been too bad here yet - pretty wet though. If we have a serious temp drop, we're gettin' ice in the morning.

I think I'm tracking' with you on the mock-up. Looked like there is a "lip" on the inside of the gunwale in the walkaround: mount 'em just below there? LEDs should diffuse by the time they hit the deck, and the "no skid" should help further break any reflexions up.

You realize you're going to have to start notifying Louisville INTL Airport when you light that boat up:cool:

chriscraft254

Commander

Weather hasn't been too bad here yet - pretty wet though. If we have a serious temp drop, we're gettin' ice in the morning.

I think I'm tracking' with you on the mock-up. Looked like there is a "lip" on the inside of the gunwale in the walkaround: mount 'em just below there? LEDs should diffuse by the time they hit the deck, and the "no skid" should help further break any reflexions up.

You realize you're going to have to start notifying Louisville INTL Airport when you light that boat up:cool:

It will give sully a clear veiw of where the river is.

Here is the sample pic of where I'm thinking.

becky268.jpg

becky267.jpg

I will end it by tapering it or cutting the angle into where it changes direction in this pic.
becky262.jpg

southkogs

Staff member

Maybe something like this.

becky300.jpg

Yeah ... there ya' go :cool:

I know a guy who has that kind of skill with wood down here. Amazes me every time I see the craftsmanship, and you've got it in spades. Nice job fitting that piece in.

lil buggy

Senior Chief Petty Officer

agreed,
love the taper on the ends.sweet
how are you gonna handle the front?
i almost think it would look more complete if you did the whole bow like that.

thats looking great Budd

lil buggy

looks like the led's will fit under the cabin window as well.
but that strip your planning will look so sweet

southkogs

Staff member

how are you gonna handle the front? i almost think it would look more complete if you did the whole bow like that.

Not around the whole bow, I don't think. Subtlety is sometimes a good friend ... taper back in where the bow starts to rake in. Sorry to make more work for you Chris ...

chriscraft254

Commander

Yeah ... there ya' go :cool:

I know a guy who has that kind of skill with wood down here. Amazes me every time I see the craftsmanship, and you've got it in spades. Nice job fitting that piece in.

Thanks man, it comes naturally, I have been a carpenter my whole life and did nothing but trim work for like 5 years. But been in the construction trades for about 30 years. I think the taper is the ticket:p It just made since when I looked at it.

agreed,
love the taper on the ends.sweet
how are you gonna handle the front?
i almost think it would look more complete if you did the whole bow like that.

thats looking great Budd

Thankyou I want it to kind of tie in with the natural eye to the bow pulpit if you know what I mean. This will take it around the curvature some but not connect across. You will see what I mean when I get a long enough piece. May do a template on the bow forward also just to get the taper in right. Think this will be again a trail and error process. The less of that curve I go around, the easier it will be also.

looks like the led's will fit under the cabin window as well.
but that strip your planning will look so sweet
Thos windows may be coming out eventually and get fiberglassed in. I think there UGLY. You also want the lights to shine into the boat ,not outboard. Just looks better that way imo.

Not around the whole bow, I don't think. Subtlety is sometimes a good friend ... taper back in where the bow starts to rake in. Sorry to make more work for you Chris ...
No more work, the taper is easy, curving around that bow would be the tricky part, may have to get a little tricky. We will see. This is where a piece of cardboard might come in handy to see where I want it to end.

The lights and where they stop and start will be the next decision. That may very well play into the decision on where the wood ends. Don't really want them forward because of my night vision at the helm if I am driving and also people who sit up there would not have them in there face. Think I want a soft hugh to cover the front but not like it will be on the sides. This tells me they need to stop about where the cabin starts up front.

southkogs

Staff member

Thanks man, it comes naturally...

That's great. I'm always impressed with that kind of talent. 'Cause ole' "two thumbs southkogs" can't even fake it :p

The lights and where they stop and start will be the next decision. That may very well play into the decision on where the wood ends. Don't really want them forward because of my night vision at the helm if I am driving and also people who sit up there would not have them in there face. Think I want a soft hugh to cover the front but not like it will be on the sides. This tells me they need to stop about where the cabin starts up front.

That begs a question: the well deck lights change color, will the ones you install up front do the same? Reason I ask, is in the airplanes we use red lights to keep our night vision in good shape. I would think it would work well out on the water too.

chriscraft254

Commander

That's great. I'm always impressed with that kind of talent. 'Cause ole' "two thumbs southkogs" can't even fake it :p

That begs a question: the well deck lights change color, will the ones you install up front do the same? Reason I ask, is in the airplanes we use red lights to keep our night vision in good shape. I would think it would work well out on the water too.

Lol, I just have smashed thunbs usually.

The red is best at night, it is the only light I would run while underway. Most times I don't run any if going on plane, but do sometimes at slow speeds. The lights will be the same but on a seperate controller so they can be turned on and off seperately from the gunnel lights.

Here is a really bad mockup, can't figure out how to get the lines perfect,but you get the idea.

This is a pic of what I am leaning towards

Newboatpics408.jpg

Other option, all the way forward.
boat006.jpg

lil buggy

Budd,
looks good either way:cool:

i'm sure the taper will make the shorter version rock
however i am in for the extra work:D needed to stretch all the way to the front lol

as far as the lights go
not sure if i am up for the 2 controlers
i think uniformity brings stability,
i believe you said earlier that your rf had the ability to accept another string?
blood red all around will look sweet while underway

another ?
did you buy the second set of led's at the first set purchase time?
if not try to get them from the same supplier and manufacture.
or (i know;)) use the same rf unit
the reason is your colors may be a lil different between strings and/or rf units
(just thinken here)

best of luck

southkogs

Staff member

ooooohhhh ... hook up a mixer batten on the rig: we use 'em on exhibits. Sliders let you fade in, out and between colors. Some you can even pre-program. Imagine coming into port with this "throbbing" red glow coming off the boat. Pump the "Jaws" theme music through the stereo ... :D

I like the shorter version. For some reason the clean white gunwale up front keeps it neat and tidy lookin'. I think it's the "negative space" (art term = your eye don't have to work at lookin' at something).

chriscraft254

Commander

Budd,
looks good either way:cool:

i'm sure the taper will make the shorter version rock
however i am in for the extra work:D needed to stretch all the way to the front lol

as far as the lights go
not sure if i am up for the 2 controlers
i think uniformity brings stability,
i believe you said earlier that your rf had the ability to accept another string?
blood red all around will look sweet while underway

another ?
did you buy the second set of led's at the first set purchase time?
if not try to get them from the same supplier and manufacture.
or (i know;)) use the same rf unit
the reason is your colors may be a lil different between strings and/or rf units
(just thinken here)

best of luck

The lights have yet to be ordered. The ones in the pic are white, they are for another project for my dads boat that I have yet to get to.:facepalm:

The reason I want them switched seperately is so I can still run the aft lights while underway and not have the glare coming from the walkaround area. Even with the red, there are times I will want them on and other times I don,t in relation to the other lights all ready on the boat.

Either place that it stops going forward will be tapered in. I think the space left in pic # one, kinda fits with the spacing of the rest of the teak on the boat and will give it a larger breaking point. Plus it will be easier to install, although, I do think I will still have to steam the wood to get her to bend the radius.

ooooohhhh ... hook up a mixer batten on the rig: we use 'em on exhibits. Sliders let you fade in, out and between colors. Some you can even pre-program. Imagine coming into port with this "throbbing" red glow coming off the boat. Pump the "Jaws" theme music through the stereo ... :D

I like the shorter version. For some reason the clean white gunwale up front keeps it neat and tidy lookin'. I think it's the "negative space" (art term = your eye don't have to work at lookin' at something).

Your a funny man, now I have to paint some teeth on the front of the boat,lol I agree.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

now I have to paint some teeth on the front of the boat

Now THAT'S funny! Just this evening a friend and were looking at my CC discussing the prospect of painting it up like a WWII fighter with the teeth on the front and the pinup girl.

southkogs

Staff member

Just this evening a friend and were looking at my CC discussing the prospect of painting it up like a WWII fighter with the teeth on the front and the pinup girl.

Couldn't do the pinup girl (I've "limited out" on women :D), but the P-40 scheme would look awesome on the right boat. Gotta' keep that in mind...

lil buggy

guys your gonna kill Budd,
he's almost done scraping were allready painting it
i can see it now
i didn't like the tooth spacing so i'm scraping it off and repainting, this time i am using "" x brand"" :rolleyes:lol

seriously though,
i been thinkin more and am liking them stopping short.
that way your knees won't rub on the trim

also i am bettin you could add a dimmer (kinda like this)
http://www.amazon.com/Dimming-Controller-LED-Lights-Ribbon/dp/B003L4KKF2/ref=cm_cmu_pg_t
just before the front string goes into the exsisting rf

whadya think

chriscraft254

Commander

Now THAT'S funny! Just this evening a friend and were looking at my CC discussing the prospect of painting it up like a WWII fighter with the teeth on the front and the pinup girl.
Lol, that would look cool on the right boat. Everybody around here already thinks I'm the police boat when I pull up to the island at night. Bunch of drunks:D

guys your gonna kill Budd,
he's almost done scraping were allready painting it
i can see it now
i didn't like the tooth spacing so i'm scraping it off and repainting, this time i am using "" x brand"" :rolleyes:lol

seriously though,
i been thinkin more and am liking them stopping short.
that way your knees won't rub on the trim

also i am bettin you could add a dimmer (kinda like this)
http://www.amazon.com/Dimming-Controller-LED-Lights-Ribbon/dp/B003L4KKF2/ref=cm_cmu_pg_t
just before the front string goes into the exsisting rf

whadya think

knees shouldn't hit, its to low, maybe a shin if you were talented,lol I don't need a dimmer, my rgb lights already dim.

lil buggy

Budd,
i meant to add the extra dimmer before the rf on the front string, so you can dim it while driving
if your rf can dim independantly than just hook it up:D

i'm trying to figure how the remote will know which string to change?
i guess if the remote eye were in different places for each string it wouldn't be an issue

at your advice i bought two strings.
although a little directional each remote will work both strings.fyi

i will be installing here in a month or so(when the shops all done with the drive work)
so i'm watching that trim project closely (like it so far)
cause i dont have any easy mounting loacation like your rod holders,
i will likely have to add some trim or the lightbulblbs will be seen:(

thanks for all the info
and the inspiration
great work

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.