Dress her up or not? Opinions wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Dress her up or not? Opinions wanted.

The Teak looks nice, just remember teak means work to keep it that way. Been there, done that.

chriscraft254

Commander

I have followed your other thread, CC. I like her just the way she is!

Like others have said "She is yours, do what you want"

No matter what you decide, she will remain a beautuful boat......and job (pleasure) well done!....Sir....;)

Thankyou much, gonna put this on the back burner for a bit and think about it. I think she looks clean now and I want it to stay that way.:)

Teak her out! :eek::D

I already have sorta,lol

The Teak looks nice, just remember teak means work to keep it that way. Been there, done that.

Yeah, have plenty of experience with that also. Many years of teak oiling, now its varnished.

Mi duckdown

Commander

MY .02 she looks great just the way it is. Hate maintenance.

sasto

Captain

gonna put this on the back burner for a bit and think about it. I think she looks clean now and I want it to stay that way.:)

I like the teak in the photos of the other CC's......I like the look....I like your thought on the teak toe rail....like the teak cockpit and helm sole...like the foreward deck seating...

Your's????? That would be like putting clothes on the prom que.....nevermind!:facepalm:.....Like taking sand to the beach.:cool:

There is an iboat member (Smoke) willing to haul a boat from your area for us guys in FL. Can I have your address, registration and title #. Oh.....Do me a favor...I would like some outriggers.:rolleyes:

likalar

Petty Officer 1st Class

Though this sounds like a very handsome upgrade to your great-looking boat, my opinion may not be too well received, but here goes:

a. Raw teak walkways provide excellent grip underfoot, especially when wet. Varnishing wood walkways creates a slipping hazard.

b. Each fastener piercing the decking becomes a potential leaking point eventually. Hundreds of screws means hundreds of potential leaking points, maybe not for you, but for an eventual owner.

c. I have no idea what is directly below that walkway, but protrusions of sharp screw tips will need to be considered. Will there be backing boards below the surface?

d. Bending wood with water and steam is a specialized skill that takes years to perfect. There's a lot to know. I don't have any reason to question your skills, but I suggest you do a "mock-up trial version" of your curved walkway on a piece of plywood just to get your feet wet before drilling into that deck. If you start the project right on the boat, then decide it's not working out, you're screwed, and backtracking will be a pain. If you ruin some plywood, no big deal.

Note: I almost never listen to my own advice, and also love winter projects, so take the above as a friendly counterpoint to all the YES votes you got so far.

Best wishes!
Larry

chriscraft254

Commander

I like the teak in the photos of the other CC's......I like the look....I like your thought on the teak toe rail....like the teak cockpit and helm sole...like the foreward deck seating...

Your's????? That would be like putting clothes on the prom que.....nevermind!:facepalm:.....Like taking sand to the beach.:cool:

There is an iboat member (Smoke) willing to haul a boat from your area for us guys in FL. Can I have your address, registration and title #. Oh.....Do me a favor...I would like some outriggers.:rolleyes:

Lol, sorry no address, I live in a cave until I get my boat done, then I'm moving onboard.:) I get what your saying, I love my boat the way it is already, just always lookng to improve her a little. Smokes not touching my rigg unless its on the other end of a scraper,lol Jkg.

Side riggers not good enough?

Though this sounds like a very handsome upgrade to your great-looking boat, my opinion may not be too well received, but here goes:

a. Raw teak walkways provide excellent grip underfoot, especially when wet. Varnishing wood walkways creates a slipping hazard.

b. Each fastener piercing the decking becomes a potential leaking point eventually. Hundreds of screws means hundreds of potential leaking points, maybe not for you, but for an eventual owner.

c. I have no idea what is directly below that walkway, but protrusions of sharp screw tips will need to be considered. Will there be backing boards below the surface?

d. Bending wood with water and steam is a specialized skill that takes years to perfect. There's a lot to know. I don't have any reason to question your skills, but I suggest you do a "mock-up trial version" of your curved walkway on a piece of plywood just to get your feet wet before drilling into that deck. If you start the project right on the boat, then decide it's not working out, you're screwed, and backtracking will be a pain. If you ruin some plywood, no big deal.

Note: I almost never listen to my own advice, and also love winter projects, so take the above as a friendly counterpoint to all the YES votes you got so far.

Best wishes!
Larry

All opinions welcome Larry. But I am afraid you didn't read what I had in mind in the original post. There will be no teak on any deck. The trim peice that was being considered was nothing more than a trim accent peice around the bow. Unlike the owner of the other boat I posted, I do not like teak decks and if I did have them, they would not get varnished.

That being said, I am very happy that I did varnish the teak I already have. Honestly if teak is oiled often to keep it looking good, it is also slick when wet.;)

If I do try and install the trim/accent peice, It will only be about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inches wide. This shouldn't be a huge undertaking but will take some time to bend. Teak ,unlike many other wood, is a soft wood with few knots if any. The grains are tight and should bend without spliting if I do it right and take my time. If its wood, I can work with it for sure. Thanks for your comments. :)

lil buggy

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Budd,
good idea.

i think a strip (either teak or maybe even better hull matching white)
thin but just wide enough to hide more of your lights at the TOP of the gunnels like your test piece.
so you can splash those colors down the inside of the front (indirectly), just like the back,
would finish off the lighting and balance the boat while on the hook or at the marina, in the evening or overnight!:cool:

just not sure of how the teak would come out. try a mock up and post it
i suggest cheap , yes , cardboard strips clear taped in
then you can then hang out the window(a lil further away) and get an idea how it would look with almost no investment
make sure you post pics lol

whichever way you choose i'm sure it will look like its always been there when your done.
you have great attn to detail.

as far as the seat goes...
i like the idea of the wood inlay on the seat. but my rear would prefer the cushion
good luck with your on going projects
Great job

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

Tastefully added teak looks great! After seeing your work I have confidence it would look excellent!

southkogs

Staff member

Hey Guys, here is a totally different look on the same type boat, 254 Chris Craft. My personal opinion is this one could have looked awesome with the painted hull , if the owner would have done less with the interior. Or accented the colors of the hull somewhere. I do not like all the teak floors in her and the seat is questionable up front. Just goes to show how different the exact same boats can look.

I am looking at alot of different boats to get ideas from. :)

detail_01905670a254d519.jpg

detail_019056c2fd625566.jpg

detail_019056441620f0a7.jpg

Y'know what's funny - I kinda' like the look of this one. Here's what the difference is: This is a blue boat with white accents. The hull is the anchor color (giving the "mass" to the boat itself). The white cap and gunwale balances out the look, but if the deck were stark white (or even white/gray like yours) it would look unfinished. Complete opposite of your boat, which looks clean and crisp - called "high-key" white in photography or design. (You're right BTW - the teak in back adds some "mass" to the stern visually and it fits the layout) The full teak decking on your boat would be too much, but I think it works okay on this boat. Though this boat looks less like an "all business of fishin'" boat, and looks like a pleasure cruising boat.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I am really not much a teak fan, however I have thought all along that due to the quality of the refinishing work you've done, that yours looks awesome. However, I don't think I'd vote to add anymore. The gray walkway looks super just the way it is.

southkogs

Staff member

Okay Chris ... you've got me thinkin' more about your boat than mine right now! :D

Two random "maybe" thoughts on the drive in this morning: 1. (don't know if you have quite the room for it) how about a smallish teak "grab" rail down the port and starboard side of the cabin? Teak would be above the gunwale (so visible) would act as a stripe on the white cabin. ... OR ... 2. what about putting a teak accent above the deck of the walkway (on the inboard gunwale) and hide some LEDs to light the walkaround? I mean, your boat is kinda' understated in lighting, y'know {IRONIC CHUCKLE :D}?

Like I said earlier (and kinda' what EZ is sayin' above), your boat looks great as is. But if you're looking for things to add for the heck of it, there's a couple thoughts.

likalar

Petty Officer 1st Class

<<...All opinions welcome Larry. But I am afraid you didn't read what I had in mind in the original post. There will be no teak on any deck. The trim peice that was being considered was nothing more than a trim accent peice around the bow. ....>>

My apologies. When you said :"" ......add some teak trim to the walk around area." I jumped to conclusions. Your idea should look great, be fairly east to achieve, and be a nice addition. Best wishes!

Larry

chriscraft254

Commander

I am really not much a teak fan, however I have thought all along that due to the quality of the refinishing work you've done, that yours looks awesome. However, I don't think I'd vote to add anymore. The gray walkway looks super just the way it is.

Thankyou sir, Still up in the air on adding anything more. I have some teak just laying around here that I have to do something with,lol

Okay Chris ... you've got me thinkin' more about your boat than mine right now! :D

Two random "maybe" thoughts on the drive in this morning: 1. (don't know if you have quite the room for it) how about a smallish teak "grab" rail down the port and starboard side of the cabin? Teak would be above the gunwale (so visible) would act as a stripe on the white cabin. ... OR ... 2. what about putting a teak accent above the deck of the walkway (on the inboard gunwale) and hide some LEDs to light the walkaround? I mean, your boat is kinda' understated in lighting, y'know {IRONIC CHUCKLE :D}?

Like I said earlier (and kinda' what EZ is sayin' above), your boat looks great as is. But if you're looking for things to add for the heck of it, there's a couple thoughts.

Thats kinda what the plan started as, some way to light the forward walkways. I like the idea of maybe putting a small strip along the inside of the walkwalkway, I can route the bottom out and hide the strip lighting in the bottom. You will only know the lights are there when there lit. I will switch them seperately from the others also, omg then I can run two different colors at a time!!! Disco time! ,lol :D

In all seriousness, I really like the idea, and will post some pics before installing anything. Trimming the inside ont he side wall of the walkway will be much simpler to do to. I researched the teak and it would be a bare to get it to bend in the direction I wanted to bend it.

Thanks guys.

<<...All opinions welcome Larry. But I am afraid you didn't read what I had in mind in the original post. There will be no teak on any deck. The trim peice that was being considered was nothing more than a trim accent peice around the bow. ....>>

My apologies. When you said :"" ......add some teak trim to the walk around area." I jumped to conclusions. Your idea should look great, be fairly east to achieve, and be a nice addition. Best wishes!

Larry

No Problem at all Larry. Appreciate your input.:)

Actually, CC, I have never seen them till I read your thread. Good enough? Sure!
I will make sure there sent with the boat if it ever goes south,lol

southkogs

Staff member

...I will switch them seperately from the others also, omg then I can run two different colors at a time!!! Disco time! ,lol :D...

... I think I said it in another thread "Boat Bling." There's a YouTube video hidden somewhere in all that lighting mixed with a little 80's glam band music :cool:

chriscraft254

Commander

... I think I said it in another thread "Boat Bling." There's a YouTube video hidden somewhere in all that lighting mixed with a little 80's glam band music :cool:

I was joking about the disco stuff. my lights can actually be hooked into the stereo to dance with the beat. Don't see that ever happening on my boat,lol Got to figure out if the lights will put out enough light mounted sideways under the teak. If I point them down, my trim peice will have to be atleast 3/4 total thickness because the lights are about a half inch wide. . i would like to be able to make them 1/2" so it doesn't protrude to far into the walkway area. Think i would look better thin also and maybe 1 1/4 inches wiide. or tall depending on how you look at it.

Well, off to sanding bottom paint. thanks

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I was joking about the disco stuff. my lights can actually be hooked into the stereo to dance with the beat. Don't see that ever happening on my boat,lol Got to figure out if the lights will put out enough light mounted sideways under the teak. If I point them down, my trim peice will have to be atleast 3/4 total thickness because the lights are about a half inch wide. . i would like to be able to make them 1/2" so it doesn't protrude to far into the walkway area. Think i would look better thin also and maybe 1 1/4 inches wiide. or tall depending on how you look at it.

so mount them at a 45 deg angle.... only 1/4" wide then

southkogs

Staff member

I was joking about the disco stuff. my lights can actually be hooked into the stereo to dance with the beat. Don't see that ever happening on my boat,lol ...

Knew you were joking about the disco ... but tell me it wouldn't be a little cool with the light dancing to "Stayin' Alive" :D

Dang! If KY is gettin' the same weather we are ... you've got me clobbered in the "I'm man enough" category. It's cold and wet out there!

BTW - Smoke might be on to something there. From above (hand rail) or down on the floor.

chriscraft254

Commander

so mount them at a 45 deg angle.... only 1/4" wide then
Smoke your idea is good but if I do that i would be afraid you would see the individual lights on the strip in the reflection on the wall. It did give me another idea though.

Knew you were joking about the disco ... but tell me it wouldn't be a little cool with the light dancing to "Stayin' Alive" :D

Dang! If KY is gettin' the same weather we are ... you've got me clobbered in the "I'm man enough" category. It's cold and wet out there!

BTW - Smoke might be on to something there. From above (hand rail) or down on the floor.

I will now have that damn song going through my head ALL nite! :p Just think, if the lights were on a tinny we would all ready have a disco ball. lol:facepalm:

We have the cold, but the rain/snow/slush mess hasn't gotten here yet. I'm sure your sending it our way. I was out wet sanding in the rain the other day with my carthart gear on. My gear was completely blue by the time I was done,lol Thought about trying out for the blue man group:D

Ook, here is what I got, I made a sample up that kinda matches the outside profile of the rib on the top of the gunnel. If I mount it near the top edge it will shine light down the outer wall and onto the deck giving it a nice even lighting.

I won't be running it as far aft as in the first pics, probably just to the square edge at the steps. Will get pics on the boat tmrw, but here is the rough cut sample.

becky254.jpg

becky255.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.