vibration

shadow8

Recruit
I just replaced my engine in my 96 bayliner 2050. Put in a merc. 5.7 engine which was the same as before. we fired it up and it sounded great. However, there is quite a lot of vibration when i accelerate. What should I be looking at. thank you.

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander
Re: vibration

If you haven't dinged up the prop then I'd be looking at your engine alignment or coupler. Then again the whole shebang could be missing on a cylinder or two. Time to regroup and do a good search. Timing, plugs, fuel, etc. Hopefully it's just something simple. :D

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Welcome to iboats! I would suspect drive alignment. I will move this to the I/O section. What outdrive is coupled to the 5.7? Don S will probably lend some good guidance. As GC said hopefully it is something simple.... BTW who did the work? You? or was it done by a third party?

borz170

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have the same thing going on with my Volvo Penta SX drive. I just pulled, rebuilt and reinstalled my 2007 VP 3.0 GL engine after spinning a bearing, long story. Engine runs good and acellerates great, running 4500 RPMs at WOT, however I have a vibration that occura on excelleration. It gets louder when trimmed all the way down or just above the 1/3 tilt (recomended cruising line on trim gauge) spot. This was not there before. I didn't reallign the engine, I just didn't mess with the adjustments. The prop is pretty smooth.

To complicate things further and to make me look like a moron, I screwed up when I first pulled outdrive. Due the bulkyness of the drive, I was having trouble getting the shaft out of the gimble housing, so I took the shaft off of the drive, explosing the gears and spilling oil. I forgot to replace the oil before the initial sea trial with new motor. The engine died and we kept blowing a fuse, after running for about an hour. It would stall and seem like the drive stopped first, then the engine quit, like if running aground. I completely in deep water.

I changed the oil(which was black), a few small metal fragments or shavings were found, along with very fine shavings on the lower plug magnet. After changing the oil, the problem disappeared, however a new vibration occurred.

This is the Volvo Penta SX drive. If anyone has any insight on these new drives, please let me know what you think. I believe I ground a flat spot on the upper gear in the outdrive. This could be costy!