Deck coating / Turned complete restore

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Deck coating

Merry Christmas everyone
Thanks for the reply Jig I have come to the conclusion that the top coat is not paint, I soaked a rag in acetone and it didn't affect the finish
I did sand in a few areas and there seems to be a clear resin that goes up the side a couple inches
So my plan is to cut outa small section and see whats going on under there

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

How big are the holes you drilled? You can insert a dry wooden dowel thru the hole into the flotation and leave it in place overnight. Remove it the next day and if you have wet flotation foam the water marks will show up on the dowel.

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander

Hello Bob holes are 3/8 that is a good idea I will try that
In the mean while i poked around with a coat hanger and felt no moisture

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander

Well I guess my question thread is going to turn into a rebuild thread. I am going to cut out the front section where the larger crack is and see whats happening under neath

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Good call Minch!

There's no telling what's below deck on a fiberglass boat once a PO has gotten his hands on it.

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander

The only thing I am worried about is the built in hatch's front and rear not sure how to deal with them. If the whole deck has to come off do I cut them off and then try to reattach them or make new ones

jbcurt00

Staff member

What hatches are you referring to?

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander

Page 1 post 25 pic 3 I can post better picks tomorrow but there are these on either side one on the left is where fuel lines come thru on right is live well. Identical on opposite side one holds battery other is small storage

jc55

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You can retab anything you feel like cutting at the seam.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Those hatches should have hinges that are easily unscrewed. If you like the size, reuse them. They don't seem to be remotely watertight, but if they suit your purpose reuse them..

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander

OK good But I will mark where I plan to cut take pics post em up to make sure I'm doing it right thanks jc

jc55

If you level the boat in 4 directions, you can just tab them back in level. Taking notes is good but they don't have to be exactly where they were. Just level and plumb.

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander

jbcurt00 I suppose I am calling them the wrong thing. I plan on removing part of my deck and if there is signs of water or rot I will have to remove the hole deck, So I am referring to the actual fiberglass live well and rear section of the boat. There is know liner or tub construction on this boat the sides above the deck are single sided fiberglass I will post better pics tomorrow thanks for the reply

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander

These are the items I am worried about. Do I just cut them off close to deck and sides then tab them back in

Last edited:

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander

Area in front storage lockers

Last edited:

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander

These pictures are the top of the storage compartments in the rear of the boat. It looks like 1/2" plywood set on top of gunwales

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Have you tested the white w/ blue speckles w/ acetone yet?

If those boxes you want to reinstall are painted, inside & out, and there's gelcoat under the paint, you'll have to get the paint & gel ground off (inside & out) to good glass to tab them (in & out) back to the hull.

Who made this boat originally, can you find pix online of a similar layout & look boat from the same maker?

jc55

The learning curve is really steep here so I'll continue to comment until someone tells me to shut up :). I would leave all of those decks/compartments alone. You are cutting into your deck to inspect the deck itself and the stringers, yes? I'm guessing that you really want to check your stringers especially at the lowest point of the keel(where water collects).

A possible solution to a strategically placed inspection hole could be the installation of a hatch later.

P.S. Launch those wire nuts!!!

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander

Yes I did soaked rag with acetone let it sit on boat and It did not come off
Boat was made by traveler out of Tifton Ga have look on internet not a lot of info manufacturer out of business

Status
Not open for further replies.