Customizing my boat,Is it too tall?

steve riddell

Seaman
Re: Customizing my boat,Is it too tall?

Hey Ooops
There was never any controls on the Bridge & i just want to use that area to keep my LIGHT Crap & Prawn traps
I'm going to put a Brass pole at the rear of the roof in the middle for support & Maybe some entertainment!! LOL
Got 1 side window cut down Early this mornin (thanks to my 5 Roosters up at the crack of Dawn) & have all day tommorrow to give her!!
Yes i have done lots of glass work before, I'm a Certified autobody & paint technition, I had My own restoration shop where i worked on several Boats & WAY to many Corvettes!! So I Think i know what i'm doing, LOL
If not it will make a good home for all the fish on the ocean floor.
More pictures tommorrow, Hopefully i can figure out how to do the pitures no here!!
Stever

oops!

Supreme Mariner

perfect..!....this is gonna be fun to watch.

as far as posting the photos....

after you load on to your puter......go to www.photobucket.com. open a free account...and using the bulk up loader...load everything there...
re size the pics to 640x480...
then.....when making a post...just copy the img tag and paste it in your post...its really easy and fast.
you can do 6 photos at a time in one post....so multi posting is a snap.

lol.....lots of glass work eh?......where the heck were you when i was fairing my hull...lol i really could have used your help :D

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Im interested in seeing how you attach the new top to the hull.....

Im thinking LOTS of wood and fiberglass! make sure to post pics of that part PLEASE :)

steve riddell

Seaman

Sorry to leave Ya Hangin!!
Well i managed to get 1 side done, took most of the weekend as i also had to modify the window frame, I also made a abit of a change on the gunwale, instead of havin a taper from the transon to the cabin i leveled out24" at the cabin( thought it would be a good place to mount my beer-b-gue & more rod holders.I will do the filler and blocking on the hole boat at once!

THIS PART IS GOOD KNOWLEDGE!!:D:D
For now i will seal it with Slick sand (spayable polyester) it is an awesome product for glass & metal!! IT WILL NOT SHRINK!! & you can spray it on up to a 1/4 " thick with a conventional gun & saves HOURS of time blocking. You can finish the filler work in 40g which is good (the coarser the straighter) spray slick sand block with 80g slick sand again then finish sand for your top coat, gell coat or Primer & paint.
I didn't manage to take many pictures as i was on a roll, Plus i didn't want My Camera to look like My cat!:rolleyes:
I will post what i have tommrrow!
Stever

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Steve...if you ould post a link to mebbe where one can get that stuff...Im sure many would be very interested in it!

thanks in advance for the pics and the link! ;)

ps 2 days is not leaving anyone hanging! some people wait 6 months! lol and more often only weekly....keep posting daily! we love it

steve riddell

Seaman

Ahoy Maties
today i fiound another boat to score some free parts off, took a section of the front deck, Hatch & few other good odds n ends!!

pict1. the side of the boat with the modified window frame(the round bouy was 1 of my scores today

pict2. old hatch cover that i put on when i must of been drunk(wieghs a ton)

Pict3. the opening for the new glass hatch bein glued in place

pict4. old boat still cutin up!

pict5. the temporary boat shebd i made (this is why i cant get very good pict as i only have a few feet around on each side for a step ladder. The 40' container is full of boat parts
hope to work on it again tommorrow after work!

stever

Its not what you buy, it's what you build!!:D

Attachments

• Project boat 013.jpg
    Project boat 013.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Project boat 015.jpg
    Project boat 015.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Project boat 014.jpg
    Project boat 014.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Project boat 017.jpg
    Project boat 017.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Project boat 016.jpg
    Project boat 016.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 1

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

geez hope you're wearing a decent respirator lol not the toss away kind either :eek:

wow you got quite a crazy conglomeration of nutsy stuff going on LOVE IT! :):D:):eek::p

redfury

Commander

I dub thee Franken-Boatenstein :D

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Great looking project! I am excited to watch this one!

You are off to a great start, keep up all the good work!

steve riddell

Seaman

Sorry been out of town, but can't wait to get itchy this weekend!! will have more picts to post as well!!

steve riddell

Seaman

today i manage to score 2 125Hp outboards in awesome shape with all the controls & gauges, Thanks CL $1800.00 for all!! Iv'e been very busy cutting up the rest of the parts boats that i have, almost a hole week wasted & many trips to the dump

Attachments

• force motors.jpg
    force motors.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 0

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Cool score on the OBoards!

post more pics when ya got some time (to work on the boat) Rock on!

nymack66

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great post and project going here. I can clearly see value in old scrap Boats. Re-using the sheets of good glass is a fine example of this, not to mentioned the accessories like hatches and swim platforms just to mentioned a few.
I picked up a scrap Boat for three hundred dollars and turn it into a beautiful Boat which I currently enjoys with the kids.
Good luck and keep us posted.

steve riddell

Seaman

I haven't forgot about You Guys!!
I think I must of wired on Crack when i thaught about doing this Project!! Don't get me wrong I'm not the type to give up, just soooo much to do, Like a Oldtimer in My trade told me to always make sure that You have something Drying, (Resin, Primer or Paint) That is why i've been kind of workin all over the boat!
The boat is 200' away from my house, so I been doing all the work with a Generator, that some ahole stole, finally got a new one & am back at it
Iv'e been getting alot of work done on "My Mistake" But it has been on the other side of boat, already posted pics of the one side Near complete so i didn't want to waste anyones time posting them!
Thanks to the wind in the feild it is in, I think I spent more time fixing the stupid tempary shelter I made for it, We are movin soon & looking for a house with a big shop, Right now cant use my big 240v comressor, Have NO lights & Lately have a not so nice visitor that scares the crap out of Me, A big black bear, down there every day eatin berry's, To bad he didn't have a taste for Fibreglass, Even the deer catch me of gaurd.
Pics of the Helter Shelter

Attachments

• Project boat.jpg
    Project boat.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 0

steve riddell

Seaman

Here is some pictures of the command bridge that I'm installing, Only To Store about 50Lbs of traps & rope, This was origonally of the same model of boat, But because I Shortened the height of it by almost 12"" I have to make it 8" longer due to the taper.
Someone had mentioned that the roof will need to somehow be supported, I will be putting the Rear alaskin cabin doors back on & Glassing them right in place, I will still be ablt to access the fuel tank by removing the door in the middle from the piano hinge.
Lately I've been workin on the Bow of the boat which is very time consuming & takin a lot of thought, Due to all the diferrent pieces that have to be measured 10 times cut, test fitted, Trimmed, Then glued in place & given the Design I came up with(for lots of room & Hieght in the cuddy) Its been alot af Head scatching to get both side the same!!
Gotta Go I see sun

Attachments

• Project boat 021.jpg
    Project boat 021.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Project boat 019.jpg
    Project boat 019.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Project boat 018.jpg
    Project boat 018.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Project boat 020.jpg
    Project boat 020.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Project boat 022.jpg
    Project boat 022.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 0

zach103

Commander

I really like that idea. pretty cool and im glad that everythings starting to look really good.. almost like its meant to be there from the start.. ill deff be following this one.

steve riddell

Seaman

Am I wasting My time on Here!! Maybe I will just Post pictures when it's completed!!
I thought that more people would be interested in a Big project like this, But i guess I was wrong, Sorry it's not a Star Craft!!
If anyone knows of a FibreGlass boat building club would You please let Me know!!
Cheers

erikgreen

Captain

I think you've gotten a really good response here.. not sure what you're looking for.

So far you've posted a couple pics of your supplies (old boats) and a couple notes about what deals you've gotten and what you're doing.

That's all good, but the stuff people really like to see are things like step by step info on how you're installing the command bridge, or how you're using glass from one boat on another... show how you attach it, how you glass it in place, etc.

So far your project looks interesting, but there's not frankly a lot to comment on... it sounds like you have 3-4 boats, two outboards, a couple inboard drive systems, and a rough idea on paper of what you want the final product to look like. So far, so good. If you're looking for people to cheer you on like Oops, you should probably post as much as he does and in as much detail as he does :)

Erik