Customizing my boat,Is it too tall?

steve riddell

Seaman
Re: Customizing my boat,Is it too tall?

Finally got some time to work on it, I finally took all the crap out of the boat, I even found a Basket Ball net in there :confused: Then I had a nice bonfire & Beer:D:D

Attachments

• Project boat 033.jpg
    Project boat 033.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Project boat 032.jpg
    Project boat 032.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Project boat 034.jpg
    Project boat 034.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Project boat 035.jpg
    Project boat 035.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Project boat 036.jpg
    Project boat 036.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 0

redfury

Commander

any progress is still progress, and any progress you can cap off with a beer and a fire is goooood progress :D

steve riddell

Seaman

Today I started to rip up the Floor, Holy Crap what a mess!! The Old girl musta floated well as it was Full of Water:eek: The Stringers were made out of SEVERAL Pieces, 1 piece was only about 4" long:confused:
Anyone have an Easy way of removin the foam?LOL I see alot of people on here that have bought an older boat & wonder why it doesn't go as fast as they think it should, Chances are its water logged.
Before I started this Project I Had every intention of starting from a Bare Hull & Redoin Everthing so I knew what I had & that it will last!!
Anyone Ever Make their Stringers out of somethin other than wood (Don't like the wood idea) Plus I want to tie them into the Transom with a few knee Braces as I will be makin a fibreglass Outboard Bracket for twin 125's that will be glassed right to boat for a Factory Look!!
Hopefully Tommorrow I can remove the motor, I have to do it the hard way as I cant get anything behind the Boat & it is on blocks, So I have Strip it down to a bare block so i can pick the block up by hand & throw it over it over the side, Ya I should of removed it when i first got the boat with the boom on my buddis tow truck, But that would of been to easy:D:D

Attachments

• Project boat 042.jpg
    Project boat 042.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Project boat 043.jpg
    Project boat 043.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Project boat 039.jpg
    Project boat 039.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Project boat 038.jpg
    Project boat 038.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Project boat 040.jpg
    Project boat 040.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 0

nymack66

Petty Officer 1st Class

You may want to consider this product http://www.arjaytech.com/products/DS/ds60.htm
I use it to replace the wooded transom in my Boat three years ago. Its a phenomenal product and is 15 times stronger than plywood. Old salty dogs often critique it because there lack of knowledge or they simply likes to do it the old fashion way I guess?
When I restored my Boat I was told the transom will not be as strong, last week I hit a sand bar with over 1000 lbs on board including passengers and cargo at 35 MPH not a single crack or issues to report with the exception of peeling off the zinc chromate paint off the LU.
I have see and work with the types of wood I will recommend for Boat building, it however is not available here in the US and will be way too expensive to use. So I re-educate myself and found this product. They are a number of comparable products, however this I found to be the easiest to work with period. I will attach a few pictures of the start and finish of my project.
As for your foam removal a pressure washer works well I used it to remove a belly tank totally foamed in, its messy but works.
Product Name: Ceramic Pourable Compound
Description: ARJAY formulates its Ceramic Pourable Compound with premium polyester resins and high strength ceramic spheres resulting in high tensile and flexural strength. This lightweight compound is ideal for filling large volumes where strength and rigidity are major concerns. The Ceramic Pourable Compound mixes and pours easily from the 5-gallon pail.

Attachments

• Wood.jpg
    Wood.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 22.resized.jpg
    22.resized.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 21.resized.jpg
    21.resized.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 5.resized.jpg
    5.resized.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 36.resized.jpg
    36.resized.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 0

redfury

Commander

Depends on what you want to work with or are comfortable working with. You can make your stringers out of just about anything if you use the fiberglass for the strength of them vs using the core material as the strength.

Foam, cardboard, all that matters is the form you want to make and the shape you want. Plenty of all glass stringers out there...look at the VEC hulls Glastron is making right now...

Most of us have used wood because it's easy to work with, easily available and the use of it is tried and true. Doesn't mean that you can't engineer a better idea...I mean, they make entire boats out of carbon fiber and epoxy, whereas most boats are made out of roving and polyester resin.

Everything is relative to the depths of your pocketbook and the creativity of your mind.

steve riddell

Seaman

Still at it Removing the Stringers now, I will post some pics when I put the new ones in as they will be laid out alittle different do to converting from inboard to outboard.
also workin on the design of the fiberglass outboard bracket.

zach103

Commander

Keep it up man. im catching up to you lol.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

when you comin up bud ?.....lets talk guns !

steve riddell

Seaman

Hey Oops, it will be the 1st or 2nd week of oct, I'll be in california next week, I might have a good used 20 -1 pump for sale that is perfect for spraying Gelcoat Especially if your doin a hole unit!! Google Kremlin spray equipment if you have some free time.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Hey Stevers...glad to see your'e still making headway on this baby....cool fire!

we're moving so wont be online too much probably for a few weeks.....:(

keep on rockin!

steve riddell

Seaman

I'm still at it, just the weater has been bad, I've been out of town ALOT!! & My make shift shop, the working conditions are'nt the best, As You can tell by the pictures, with the rain & wind I can't even keep a tarp on it!!
Since last I removed the floor & was ready to do the stringers but now I think I will wait till spring as there is to much moister in the air.
I do little bits of glass work when I can (weather Permitting, so latley I've been playin around with the Railings, Switch panels & souch for the inside, Kinda SUCKS cause once the stringers are done its all down hill, I have all the interior planed out Have all the Stuff needed Seats, fridge, sink, stove, cushions & electronics but cant do a damn thing but dream!!
On a good note i have all winter to find more free or cheap goodies that will help or improve the project.
Going to stick with the Volvo V8 & 280 leg, So I'm also building a nice 350 HP 010 block with 202 heads.....
Good weather to ride My Wr 450
Until next time....:D:D:D

Attachments

• boat 001.jpg
    boat 001.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 0
  • boat 002.jpg
    boat 002.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 0
  • boat 003.jpg
    boat 003.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 0
  • wr450.jpg
    wr450.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 0
  • wr450 002.jpg
    wr450 002.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 0

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Oh, yeah, this is going to be a good project.... :D

Steve, rather than try to figure out how to increase stability as the fly bridge gets bigger, heavier and higher, take another approach: Lower the floor. You really don't need a 12- 18" deep bilge. Just cut it down to 6-8" as long as there is 3-4 feet of flat deck. The sides can be a step up, or bench seats, etc. That way the fly bridge does not have to be as high.

Another issue is unwanted weight gain. Interior partitions can be made from foam panels (say 3/4" to 1-1/2" thick) covered with a laminate like Formica. Makes a very tough and strong panel, and fairly light.

Anyway, the point being that plywood adds weight fast. Add a layer of glass and resin, and the weight builds even faster. So using lightweight materials where load bearing is not a requirement will help.

In fact, making the walls of the fly bridge out of foam and glass or foam and formica will go a long way to reducing a top-heavy build. Its a good place for it, because the walls don't need to support any significant weight, just form the enclosure. Kind of like my hard top project where the top is foam with epoxy and 1708. It doesn't need to support anyone standing on it, just be strong enough to withstand strong wind.

Makes me want to start another project!

steve riddell

Seaman

Hey Mark42
Thanks for the advice, but It wont work, Trust Me this Stupid Boat is all I think about 24-7 Many sleepless nites, Pondering!!
The side stringers are 2x6 & the main 2x10 So there is no room to lower the floor plus the fuel tank sits in the belly of the floor, Most of the interior walls will be made lighter than they were from factory along with the rear cabin doors.
K&C Made a Model like mine, Same size boat, Same Mould for Hull & Deck & Roof with a Bridge on it that is where it came from, But the guy I got it off never drove the boat, He was just parting it out. I chopped about 10" of the bottom of the bridge already. The other Day i seen a boat like mine the same make & size with a bridge on it that had seats & controls up there, the Guy said it was great in the ocean, So that gave Me alot of confidence as My boat is lower & will be alot Lighter than His:D:D

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Well, if you can't drop the floor any, try your best to lighten the load where possible. I was able to drop an additional (approx) 45 lbs by removing the cuddy tri-fold door (I didn't need it for privacy, especially after the hard top was on) and also cut out more ply where it was not structural.

This should give you an idea of what I mean....

On the left is the opening for the cuddy. The tri-fold (3/4" MARINE grade ply) was removed to save weight. Also, later on I cut out the fixed panel under the helm to help balance the boat, and extend the "open" feeling of the cuddy (so I can easily watch the kids from the helm).

The panel under the helm was not attached to the hull on the right side, and only attached at the top with TWO SCREWS about an inch apart on the vertical right side of the cuddy opening. The bottom was held with two SCREWS (not bolts) about a foot apart. So this was an easy cut-down because the majority of the panel was for privacy. Only the far left hand edge was bolted, and that was supporting the weight of the entire dash when climbing through the original 3 piece windshield (hence the no-skid dash top).

9032.jpg

The above photo shows the cuddy tri-fold missing, and the additional privacy panel under the helm. The photo below shows how much can be removed and still end up with the same "standing on dash top as I stuff my *** through the windshield to go drop the bow anchor" strength. And yes, the dash top has plywood molded in so it is strong and flat, but I want to build up the 'glass on the right hand side of the opening (near where you see two black on stainless accessory outlets) because that is the only attachment that passes the weight of the dash to the stringer below.

9934.jpg

So, just a little engineering will go a long way. It didn't take a marine designer to figure out the panel under the helm was 85% disposable. And it didn't take a marine designer to determine that structural parts should be "through bolted" for strength (like this dash support). I have already been in/out the window climbing on the dash top and is well. No flexing, no bending, no gel coat cracking (good indication you did well) and all is well.

Look at how the boat was built, and you will know where the supports need to go and modify from there. Just be a "minimalist" and only put in supports and therefor weight were it is actually needed.

I hope this was helpful. I want more pics!

EDIT: BTW, the hard top is through bolted from under the cuddy into the top. The top is rigid as a clam shell, and therefore, the hard top is helping trasnfer weight from me climbing on the dash off to the sides where it is passed down to the hull. Just wanted to clarify that the hard top IS a structural part of the modifications.

NickyBFWB

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So umm I am in Florida. Want to come work on my boat. It is simple compared to yours :-D Amazing determination man. It is looking awesome and coming along well. Mine on the other hand is a year in and almost stripped down :-(

steve riddell

Seaman

Hey Mark
I like the job You did makin your hardtop, Good Job, Good Thread!!:D
Thanks again for more advice "It didn't take a marine designer to figure out the panel under the helm was 85% disposable" But the Side Supports in My boat were Glassed as they are Stuctural (the Side Glass broke when I took them out, No biggy as All the glass will be changed to Lexan) Plus on 1 side I plan to put My Teak Plate & cup holder And a Spice rack on the other side, I will be leavin the door off though.
We all know the less flex in the Hull, The Smoother the Boat will ride & this beast has alot of flex!!:mad:
I will also be glassing in the rear Alaskin Side panels (to Stenghten The rear) & Glassing together the seam where the Hull & Deck are Riveted together.
I Believe in Some is Good & More is Better!! Specially when its Beer!!
with it being nice & rigid, when I hit a Big wave it should explode like Miss Budwieser!! LOL----<*))))>< :D:D

Hey Nick
Thanks & I would gladly come to Florida & work on Your boat I'll P.M Ya My Address so You send Me a 1 way ticket!! I'd Love to get the Hell outta Dodge LOL:D:D

steve riddell

Seaman

Here are some photos of the railing still need some more new fittings, but a rough idea & some pictures of the interior layout:confused:
The table will slide in & out as well as turn & the bench seat in the cabin will big enough to seat My wife& 2 small kids!!

Attachments

• boat 004.jpg
    boat 004.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 0
  • boat 005.jpg
    boat 005.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 0
  • boat 006.jpg
    boat 006.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 0
  • boat 007.jpg
    boat 007.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 0

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Hey Stevers keep postin them pics THANKS! full steam ahead! :D

sprintst

Commander

Nice work. I dig the big bonfire too...did the same with my interior.

Looks like you're planning it out. The subconscious does work on it so it will make for some sleepless nights but you will come up with something that works with some ideas from the forum. Keep up the good work.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Hey Stevers...any updates since it got wintery out? or is all on hold for the winter? hey the woodwork can be done for the furniture durinig teh winter....hint hint KEEP WORKIN on it!