Customizing my boat,Is it too tall?

nymack66

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Customizing my boat,Is it too tall?

Hey common now I sure folks are interested. I am..You are doing a phenomenal job I can't see anything so far to critique or questioned. I observed the way you generously grind the Gel off to attain a clean join etc. Keep the post coming I am loving it ..

steve riddell

Seaman

Ahoy!!
This is the way that I'm glassin the Puzzle Pieces together:
1. I Grind All the edges of the pieces down to Raw Glass about 2" makin sure
That there is a good even taper on both sides.
2. Have a Beer!!
3. Then I put a 1/2 " layer of matt over the joint (Mmmm Joint!!) Wait for
that to cure.
4. Have a few more beer!!
5. Give the area a quik scuff with 40 grit to knock off any crap or else the
next layer will tent pole on ya (Make a High spot)
6. Then I put a 1" layer of matt over that
7. Have a few more beer while that is kickin.
8. Another quik 40grit scuff.
9. Then a 2" layer on top of that.
10. On the flip side if there is a bit of a gap between the 2 piece that the
matt will not go into I mix up a little DuraGlass with a little bit of
Resin in it(you will have to add a bit more cream Hardener than normal)
If you don't do this there will be an Air pocket that will eventually
Bubble up.
11. Reapeat steps 1-9
12. Stagger into the House, Get in **** from the Ol Lady cause I'm Gettin
Drunk & Workin on that stupid Boat instead of Payin Attention to Her!!!!

Cheers!!

oops!

Supreme Mariner

apperantly.....if you feed the bear cat food......he will protect your boat !....:eek::D:D

(inside lower mainland joke guys)

and i beleive you stole those OB's. 900 a pop?....wow.

keep it up.....post pics as you go

steve riddell

Seaman

AHOY!!
Got a littte more done on the bow, But some how 1 side is 1/2 wider that the other (I'll Blame that on the Fumes) Easy fix!! & a couple pics of the rear side glass
This Weekend i hope to gut the inside & Get started on the inside of the hull as You can See it is in fairly good shape, so it should only take a few good days!! NOT!!
Jeese I Must Be NUTS!! No wonder My Buddies don't come by ever since i started this!!
Cheers!!

Attachments

• Project boat 023.jpg
    Project boat 023.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Project boat 024.jpg
    Project boat 024.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Project boat 031.jpg
    Project boat 031.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Project boat 025.jpg
    Project boat 025.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Project boat 028.jpg
    Project boat 028.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 0

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Jeese I Must Be NUTS!! No wonder My Buddies don't come by ever since i started this!!
Cheers!!

lol......BTDT.....dont worry about your buddies....if there is beer there they will come !
you just cotta learn to put up with all the cracks....like them calling you noah !

if i might add a small thing i learned building boats....take everything out that doesnt need to be there to do the job at hand.
the reason is that your mind focouses on the job...not all the other little detailes that will come along later....if you are staring at a toilet while you are cutting a window frame, you tend to thing about building the bathroom...not the window frame...these things bog you down...some people get dejected and bail from the project because they overthink the whole job.....not the small easy job in front of them

erikgreen

Captain

Hard to tell where all the pieces came from/go... can you post a few pics of the original hulls with the parts you're going to use pointed out? I'm also curious what model/year boats they were.

Then make sure to post your sketch again, labeled with where the parts are going to go and how they'll fit together.

It's a lot of fun to do a project like this... no worries about what anyone else will think of the result, just make it the way you want it to be :)

Erik

steve riddell

Seaman

Ahoy
I hear Ya Oops, the only reason I haven't taken the toilet out is that i still use it when I'm workin on the boat as the house is tooo far away!!LOL
I now what Your sayin, Don't forget I use to Restore Classic Cars for a livin, Where I would remove EVERTHING tag it & start from a Bare shell.
The only reason i kept the some of the stuff in was for Mock up.
Instead of doin the Stringers,Transom,Floor etc First, like i should of, I wanted to get some of the major modifications done to the outside so I would get a better idea of where i wanted to place things inside the boat & Plus if it looks cool You get more Drive to work on it, Or at least I do!!LOL

Hi ericgreen
If You look at the beginning Posts it will show you the Boats I used They were all mid to late 70's Rotten Pieces of Shat, The hull is a K&C Thermoglass,
(blue & white boat) The side windows & alot of the misc flat glass strips were off the all white Sangster(Both these boats were made here in B.C) The white & teal 1 was a Reinell, which i used the front of the bow( you can see it cut out in the earlier pics. The command bridge was off another K&C Thermoglass of the same size just different model.
Maybe 1 day I will try & figure out how to upload full size images & Edit the pictures at the bottom, But the more time I spend on here, the less on the Boat!
Cheers!!

redfury

Commander

Looks like organized chaos to me! :eek: I'm diggin' the plan though. Franken'boat is looking pretty sweet. I'm starting to play around a little with the delftship software for building hulls. I gotta figure out how to build the cap on the model. Would be fun to take the pics from that and try to build a 3D model of it and see what the numbers say about it.

Of course, that would be a winter project for me, I'm WAY to busy to work on my OWN boat much less try to 3D model someone else's boat!:D

steve riddell

Seaman

HeY Red
That would be cool, we have 3d software like that for our house, but My imagination goes wild, In the winter i like to build rc airplanes, I have a BIG Float plane that i've Been working on with an 8' wingspan! Your boat is comin along nicely!! How many have you done?

redfury

Commander

HeY Red
That would be cool, we have 3d software like that for our house, but My imagination goes wild, In the winter i like to build rc airplanes, I have a BIG Float plane that i've Been working on with an 8' wingspan! Your boat is comin along nicely!! How many have you done?

Exactly 0 :D This is the first time I've ever tackled a project this large. I rebuilt a VW beetle with my dad over the course of a few years when I was 14. I mostly built model cars when I was a kid...probably when I developed an attention for detail...we'll see if I still have it when it comes to the nitty gritty stuff. I'm not exactly the greatest at building things to exactness, which was evident in my first wood shop project...I think it's the inordinate amount of glue that I used that is keeping it together to this day :eek:

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Am I wasting My time on Here!! Maybe I will just Post pictures when it's completed!!
I thought that more people would be interested in a Big project like this, But i guess I was wrong, Sorry it's not a Star Craft!!
If anyone knows of a FibreGlass boat building club would You please let Me know!!
Cheers

Heya Steve! no way man...ya gott alot of LOOKS and such....the more ya interact the more people check it out and subscribe etc...

Man I gotta say you are definetly a MESSIER worker than me! lol no dis respect intended meaning how in the heck can you work with the inside of the cabin etc loaded with stuff?? lol...you are a nut job! gotta love it...that port pottie in the center made me laugh out loud....hehehehe

man that crazy frankenstien shelter is like 90% a garage....jeez might as well cover it with solid sides and make it a garage!

keep on rockin and postin!

ps Hey STEVER....add a signature with a link to your boat thread ....and then whenever you post on other peoples threads....some people see your post and click on your resto thread etc etc and it generates alot of extra interest!
I see you only got 30 posts.....so I know ya havent posted too much on others threads....check out a few and leave short replies....
and leave a short message on your thread daily (even if its just BUMP or 'no time to work on the boat today" etc so it stays at the top of the NEW POSTS list and people see it is an active trhead etc....

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

pss Stever I really like what you've got mocked up so far....looks like it will be super functional...cant wait to see pics / describe how you make the new deck area strong so people can stand on it etc.....this is definitely a thread worth reading and watching! :D:D:D

steve riddell

Seaman

Ahoy
Been busy thinkin & drawing pictures of the deck on graph paper, since I'm removing the inboard it will free up about 5sq' on the, I'm tossin around the idea of putting an enclosed crapper on the deck behind the Helm seat, With Ladder to access Bridge. We have young kids so a port a potti is a most, & it will keep the smell out of the main cabin:eek:

zach103

Commander

Could you do the pooper like most ppl do in the cablin .. maybe yhou can do a 3 piece bench seat in the rear up against the transom and the middle one can be the pooper and the other two can be a type of storage

imported_rick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow! Cool project!

I thought about raising the top of the cabin section about 6 inches on my little 18' cuddy to allow for more head room so I can put a portapot in there.

Keep the pics coming man!

oops!

Supreme Mariner

i might have to pull the odd trip to langley....

dont mind getting my hands dirty...i just dont wanna itch :D

pm me your number

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

I like that idea Steve..:)..cool little door etc.....mebbe make the top a flip top so if ya hafta **** you can stand.....flip it down and close door....for the droppin kids at the pool :eek:

steve riddell

Seaman

I'm glad that i have moved up the ladder & am now a Seaman Apprentrice!!

Attachments

• sperm.jpg
    sperm.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 0

STARCRAFT16SS

Petty Officer 1st Class

ohhhh...now your starting to scare us with that outfit:eek:
love seeing major projects like yours and oops...doing something new and
different like that....:D