cooking

FLATHEAD

Commander
Beautiful char Flathead!
👍Thanks it’s a little work but well worth the effort. Dry venison and also venison pastrami have become favorites of mine.

Took a small bone in roast yesterday put in with water some spices , let it cook for about 5 hours, strained, picked the meat for a killer broth and meat for venison vegetable soup added all my goodies this morning and she’s simmering right now for grilled cheese Sammys and soup tonight. Another deer meat favorite. We waste nothing from our deer.
IMG_5590.jpeg

aspeck

Staff member
How did you make your Dried Venison? I am headed to VA the end of the month to visit the youngest and she wants me to bring some dried beef along with me. Rather than buying any, if I could make some, that would be awesome. I have the slicer and the smoker ...

FLATHEAD

Commander
It’s a dry brine process. I try to use cuts that are 2.5 inches thick or less. Back strap is the best. But if you have a bigger boneless roast you can probably cut it down, you’ll probably have to cut it anyway to fit in gallon zip locks. Not sure how tenderquick works on thicker cuts. You can see the size hunks I used this time in that photo. I put as many as will fit in each bag.

Cut your meat hunks so that they will fit in 1 gallon zip locks. Rinse and pat dry. Weigh your meat. You need 1TBS of tenderquick per pound of meat and one TBS brown sugar per pound. Try to get it as exact as you can. Make sure to get proper amount on each piece. Put in ziplocks and stick in the fridge for at least 8 days. This last batch I let sit 13 days. Flip the bags every other day or so. When brined take them out rinse well and let soak in water for half hour. Cut into thickest one and look for deep red color in the middle. That means it’s cured. Coat the meat with course black pepper. Some add coriander, I don’t.
Put the meat on a rack in the smoker. Fire it up to 150 and let the smoke roll, I prefer hickory. Let it smoke at 150 for a couple/three hours then bump it up 20 degrees, and keep bumping it up 10/20 degrees every couple hours take your time needs to cook slow. Try not to go over 190. When the meat internal hits l58-160 pull it. Stick it in the fridge on a plate uncovered for a couple days then slice away.

Sometimes it takes 10 hours to smoke sometimes shorter, or longer. Depends on the cut I suppose

Last edited:

aspeck

Staff member
Now to check the fridge to see if I have any boneless roasts that I can use ... I wonder if the Game Commission would use the excuse ... "I shot it out of season because I needed to make some dried chipped venison for my daughter"? I am guessing not, so that won't work ...

FLATHEAD

Commander
Now to check the fridge to see if I have any boneless roasts that I can use ... I wonder if the Game Commission would use the excuse ... "I shot it out of season because I needed to make some dried chipped venison for my daughter"? I am guessing not, so that won't work ...
You could probably cut some nice pieces off bone in venison roast.

sangerwaker

Commander

Attachments

• 20240217_221505.jpg
    20240217_221505.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 4

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
shore lunch was so good yesterday, I replicated for breakfast at the house this morning

1709044645714.png

Pmt133

Petty Officer 1st Class
I made some 35lbs of chicken sausage the other night. Ground, stuffed, packed. We did roasted garlic and feta, buffalo chicken, and Hawaiian. Other than that, this thread has given me a lot of things to try. I love it.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
As always, inspiring thread Joe - and I think it helped me to make and enjoy a breakfast sandwich out of stuff around the house (and procrastinate working-on our most recent re-assessment fun). Thanks all!

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
wife was on business trip to India for 10 days. She brought home covid. Yay.

Anyway she wanted a steak since she mostly have vegetarian and chicken while there so I dry brined a 3/4 lb ribeye and made her a potato

1710166738548.png

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
al pastor, horizontally instead of vertically. really good taco night...

We also grow a pineapple in our sunroom. One only, takes three years to fruit - was able to harvents for this!

1712766034675.png

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
i made dads vietnam era SOS that he copied form Saigon, 1967. out of english muffins so went with seeded rye.

1712766194990.png