cooking

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
almost 10 lbs slow roasted on the egg. you could see the fat bubbling under the skin as it rotated.

1717003252220.png

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
That's the best way to get a lovely crust! I do that sometimes when I cook steaks sous vide with an immersion cooker. It's hard to beat the flavor!

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
For steak I don't have the desire to do all that work for a sous video but if you let your meat get to room temp for at least an hour is basically at 70 to 80 degrees 8nternally so if does cook thru. I have had good results putting that steak in the freezer for about 10 min covered up in the ice bucket to chill the outermost layer so you can leave it on the fire for just a bit longer to get those fat flames to kiss on it a touch longer. Or it could just be the beer talking.

Pmt133

Chief Petty Officer
I do the sous vide too and it's nice if I don't have the time... throw it in the bag and forget about it for a few hours and then when I'm ready to eat, finish it off in the cast iron. Otherwise I do prefer it on the grill, either charcoal or my gas. The gas unit gets insanely hot if you want it. I did some picanha the other night and it cooked up lovely.

cptbill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Quit frankly I'm more interested in the pineapple upside down cake, haven't had one in forever. Maybe that's what I'll do with this one when it's ripe

Attachments

• 20240531_150530.jpg
    20240531_150530.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Quit frankly I'm more interested in the pineapple upside down cake, haven't had one in forever. Maybe that's what I'll do with this one when it's ripe
we grow pineapples in our sunroom, takes three years but dam they are good. There's enough other sweet in the cake - just eat yours fresh cut with the love of your life.

cptbill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I like to slice them and put them on the grill for a few minutes, combine that with some pulled pork or ribs and I'll just sit there and eat till no more will fit in

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Haven't done with a real one only store bought. At the moment she is a no go on another one, I've stared an avacado. Supposed to be like 6 to 12 years before it produces....

tphoyt

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I’m still thinking about the Pineapple upside down cake😂. My grandmother used to make them all the time then my mother took over but it’s been close to 40 years now since I had a taste. Maybe it’s time to for me to get baking.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I’m still thinking about the Pineapple upside down cake😂. My grandmother used to make them all the time then my mother took over but it’s been close to 40 years now since I had a taste. Maybe it’s time to for me to get baking.
It sure ain't hard. Bad thing is I could eat the whole thing so I give at least half to the neighbors. Good news is the standard recipe calls for three eggs so easily divisible to make three smaller batches. I picked up some cast iron the other day and I'm going to try out the one on the left. The flip will be challenging.

After the clean cycle in the oven, before sanding and reseasoning
1720946256295.png

tphoyt

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I restored a bunch of cast iron pans for a buddy of mine last year using electrolysis. They came out beautiful. He picked them up for a song at a flea market. A couple of them were cheap knockoffs and you could really tell the difference in the casting. The cheap ones seem to have been made with a much courser sand and the parting lines were very obvious and rough.
I love my cast iron stuff. Can’t be beat.