cooking

sangerwaker

Commander
One of my coworkers brought in his pellet smoker and made these. They were delicious. We're going to try making one this weekend.

Site has some great recipes. Love the site name. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
on that breakfast fatty, i'm thinking about about an inch thick slice over a piece of pumpernickel toast with a touch of my (grandmas) bacon gravy. Bloody mary as well of course...

sangerwaker

Commander
The fatty has been made and it was delicious! We added hashbrowns too. Joe, I stole your pumpernickel toast idea...thanks.
Unfortunately the bottle of bloody mix in the cabinet was way outdated, so no bloody this time around.

20220723_092607.jpg

64osby

Admiral
6 hours in on a pork butt, rack of ribs just put on the old Oklahoma Joe.

I cooked a 9lb butt on the 4th. Started at 9am. At 1am it was still at 170. Something referred to as "stall" from what I have read. Pulled it an placed in the fridge, big thunder storm came in. Next morning pulled it back out and back in the smoker. Cooked for another 10 hours and it still only made it to 180. Fired up the gas grill to 350 to get it up to 205.

Turned out great, but what a pain.

Last edited:

FLATHEAD

Commander
I cooked a 9lb butt on the 4th. Started at 9am. At 1am it was still at 170. Something referred to as "stall" from what I have read. Pulled it an placed in the fridge, big thunder storm came in. Next morning pulled it back out and back in the smoker. Cooked for another 10 hours and it still only made it to 180. Fired up the gas grill to 350 to get it up to 205.

Turned out great, but what a pain.
I generally smoke pork butts at 225/ 250. I find the stall usually happens when the internal temp is in the 140’s. When it does stall I wrap in foil till it hits 200 for pulled pork. Normally a 10 to 12 hour smoke. Not sure what kind of smoker or thermometer your using. Accurate temp readings are crucial for good BBQ. Most factory thermometers that come on smokers are off, some way off. I use a two prob digital that tells me smoker temp and meat temp. Try to keep smoker temps stable. Wild swings in temp make for some rough BBQ.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Putting back in the fridge killed you; you restarted with a cold peice of meat. Next time leave on and stay in bed. You didn't say what temp you were cooking at.

The stall is well known, read up on it - especially sites that have charts and graphs if you are a dork like me. It will totally make sense.

The stall even happens in my oven, tho not moisture related. If yall had not noticed i'm big into pizzas and with that the oven opens often. What I have done in my gas oven is add a layer of 9 bricks on the bottom as well as two 1/4" slab of steel baking sheets (not a fan of them but still useful). My oven stalls at 435 or so on the way to 550. Usually for about 45 min. Then once hits I still keep on for another 30 min before I start making my pies. When I open the door to do pizza things, the heat recover period is almost nil. So, not the same 'stall' but it explains it a bit - the extra thermal mass I've put in sucks heat until it gets to the core of my bricks, or meat if cooking.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
agree, just back off the smoker a few degrees to extend the cooking time a few hours.

64osby

Admiral
I generally smoke pork butts at 225/ 250. I find the stall usually happens when the internal temp is in the 140’s. When it does stall I wrap in foil till it hits 200 for pulled pork. Normally a 10 to 12 hour smoke. Not sure what kind of smoker or thermometer your using. Accurate temp readings are crucial for good BBQ. Most factory thermometers that come on smokers are off, some way off. I use a two prob digital that tells me smoker temp and meat temp. Try to keep smoker temps stable. Wild swings in temp make for some rough BBQ.
The temp was set at 225. I did wrap it after reading about stall. The smoker internal temp reads accurate with two different thermometers.

I know putting in the fridge and starting cold was not ideal. I didn't want to go to sleep an have it over cook. Like I said it turned out great just too forever.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
The temp was set at 225. I did wrap it after reading about stall. The smoker internal temp reads accurate with two different thermometers.

I know putting in the fridge and starting cold was not ideal. I didn't want to go to sleep an have it over cook. Like I said it turned out great just too forever.
at 225 it is hard to overcook within a 4-5 hour range. On my BGE when I hit 200 internal I shut down and let carryover happen for a couple three hours, time permitting.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
oh and you don't have to wrap at the stall. Many do, I don't JUst let it happen. THe wrap speeds it up but not much else.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I made the fatty, but put up for later cooking. Too much for just us two and the boys didn't come over as expected. They apparently stayed up too late killing each other (virtually), one had to work one had to get home to wifey...

I thought it was going to be too much to stuff but actually it was perfect. I did add a 7th piece of bacon on the vertical but left some flappy ends on the horizontal. I figured it might (and did) make the tucking in easier - (gross description alert) kinda like a butthole, poke the ends up in after rolled up and thats what it looked like.

In the freezer until needed.

1659356558479.jpeg