cooking

FLATHEAD

Commander
Whole shoulder on the smoke about 2 hours into it. Sorry no after pics. Was after 10 PM till I got them pulled and squared away. Was tired.

DAF9C932-FDF7-45C1-A5D0-30C0DB807815.jpeg

aspeck

Staff member
I was going to make a couple venison hams, but then we didn't get enough venison to do that ...

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
this is my go to cookie recipie. Add a cup of dried cranberries

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
first night with new stove thought I'd put thru the mill in its rookie season.

5 day dough from the freezer, basic pepperoni with black olives (no mushrooms on hand).

Perfct thin, crunchy and chewy bites.

8 min in a well preheated (new!) oven

1672960920506.png

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
doesn't look like much but so very good - better than expected. So good i just had one of the ones i didn't cook last night for breakfast.

ingredients for four servings (half each)
small bag of riced cauliflower (or reg rice)
two poblanoes, halved (try to get the two sided ones not the three sided)
previously cooked ground beef taco meat (80/20 browned not drained, to tase salsa, chopped tomato, spice packet - however you want to make yours)
1/4 cup mozz cheese, shredded
1/8 cup cotija cheese, crumbled
1/8 cup bread crumbs (help the cheese in binding)

Classic stuffed peppers is to par boil in salt water but I like the crunch of a raw to baked pepper.

Mix everything, stuff into peppers and bake 325 until internal is where you like it. I shoot for 150 and everything is raw or already cooked so no food poisoning.

I also sprinkle just a hair of shredded cheddar on top and put back in oven that is off until melted - about 5 min.

Pour a beverage and enjoy.

Wife had a rough day at work yesterday so she was served a tray in bed.

1673017405168.png

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
the above was prepared for my wife in bed and so was the below. She had a rough few days at work, emotionally. She lost three of her people in the latest round of layoffs. Two of them have worked for her for many years - one of those they started on the same day as a call agent almost 18 years ago so to have to see your work family go is hard. Thankfully someone high up (old boss hired her way back and is now a VP) apparently asked her boss to make the phone calls for her so at least that helped a small bit

So i've been pampering her and letting her binge on Yellowstone (I'm not a fan). Her boss had send us a christmas package of really good italian pasta, pesto, oil etc so that's what I made.

For starters she had a small plate of fresh mozz sliced topped with tomato in the good olive oil and basalmic. Glass of wine.

Then a small salad. Basic iceberg with bleu cheese crumbles, thin onion, tomato and green sweet pepper. More wine.

1673187238062.png

The main course was some ribbed spaghetti (Italian pasta really is much better) with some of the pesto. He sent some parmesan as well.

Roasted a bone on chicken breast and put the chunks on the side - didn't know if she would want in the pasta. She did.

I keep frozen dinner rolls in the freezer. When I remember early enough to thaw/rise so nice to have fresh baked rolls. I have a really small cast iron that hold three so perfect for just us two. Butter with fresh ground pepper for that.

Then a dish with salt and pepper on each end and i had set back one of the mozz slices to place in the center. More wine

1673187256090.png

She was too full for any desert. More wine.

Last edited:

aspeck

Staff member
I was going to make a couple venison hams, but then we didn't get enough venison to do that ...
We ended up not cutting the last hind quarter up and I just deboned it, cured it, and smoked it. No pics, but it was DELICIOUS! Wow! Never had venison ham before, but I will again!

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
did an oven reverse sear since my brother has not returned my sous vide...
INstead of pan sear after the cook I put about 15 briquettes into the chimney starter for a rocket flame. FOrgot to shoot it but had to be 1000 degrees. Couple minutes each side - prob the best steak i've ever made.

1673831763976.png

1673831784298.png

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
well with wife out of town for the weekend.......... my proof of concept worked. At about 8pm last night i filled my smoke snake with pellets and cracked the oven door open with a chopstick. Vent fan on high at 2400 CFM's. Still smoking at 1 am when i woke up. then turned oven on to 215 degrees (slow cook) and last two hours still smokin'. Interesting when the oven does kick on the smoke slows - assuming the gas flame is sucking up the O2 to burn. Going to do the beef short ribs today - might go grab more meats today and see what I can smoke. House smells like we have a fireplace going. No smoke alarms going off.

I'll put up pics when i actually cook something.

1674295933064.png

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I have no affiliation on this but I just have to let you know that a couple few years ago on a whim I tied a new salt. 'finishing salt' I've mostly always poo-poo'd the salt snobs and mostly still do however this have reduced out salt intake dramatically. We still use basic mortons seasalt (not iodized) and some kosher for specific things like brines and pasta water and potato water but for eating.... And overall our salt buy is about half what it used to be (other than for the pool)

This in the butter under the egg when you drop it in the skillet, on the steak after searing ..... yeah, i know but we don't add to the meat prior - same with chicken. Just a pinch on top. Pricey but like I said we are spending about the same amount of money

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
First ever attempt of bbq over spaghetti noodles. Country pork ribs in a heavily modified Sweet Baby Ray's original.

1675390511930.png

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
oven roasted leg quarter with Middle Eastern spices and some roasted tomatoes to go with.

1675478299732.png

FLATHEAD

Commander
Made 7 pounds of apple sausage. Lousy collagen casing wouldnt twist without busting. Had to use strings. Normally use natural casing for fresh sausage. Still taste good thoughđź‘Ś

Attachments

• 3BFECBEB-1311-45FB-ACA2-353E426AADB8.jpeg
    3BFECBEB-1311-45FB-ACA2-353E426AADB8.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 5
  • D22E2753-FCF4-4ABB-B58B-AF2A0696CAD5.jpeg
    D22E2753-FCF4-4ABB-B58B-AF2A0696CAD5.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5

FLATHEAD

Commander
do you cure at all or just eat?
I don’t cure fresh sausage. I just vacuume seal and freeze them till I want them, but they usually walk out the door before I have a chance to freeze. I use cure with Summer sausage and other sausages that I smoke.