Can I add a telltale to the Force?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: Can I add a telltale to the Force?

I've just uploaded video of my telltale install to youtube. It works really well! Cooling seemed fine as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdTZahq9chs

Nice! Its hard to find a big container to fit the big gear case in, huh? Motor sounds great and its pumping lots of water.

I noticed the rear bench seat is installed. I'd really like to see a video of the interior of your boat with the new seating.

Thanks for the vid!

Mark

briguy2817

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks for that....I will add the tell tale.......

AND has anyone added a rear tilt/trim switch.....??

that's another little pain about these engines. Evinrude/Johnson has had 'em for years...lets you lower raise/lower the motor without getting back up on the boat!!

:)

I added a rear trim switch for that very same reason. I got sick of climbing back into the boat at the ramp to move the motor. I used a waterproof switch with a cover and mounted it to the right of the motor. I have the switch wires soldered to the main wiring harness and hardwires to the battery. This way when I shut the battery off, the tilt still works.

Brian

bass striker

Seaman Apprentice

This is a realy nice addition, Thanx for the info and pictures.
It is a sure addon to my motor.

GatorzBack2Back

Seaman Apprentice

I added a rear trim switch for that very same reason. I got sick of climbing back into the boat at the ramp to move the motor. I used a waterproof switch with a cover and mounted it to the right of the motor. I have the switch wires soldered to the main wiring harness and hardwires to the battery. This way when I shut the battery off, the tilt still works.

Brian

How about some pictures and directions for that?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Brian

Brian, the rear trim switch is a good topic for a new post. Can you start one and include pics of your work?

poor_boy67

Cadet

Thanks guys, this looks like a great idea. Should work on my 89 150 right? don't quite understand why some would point it down though where you still have to go to the back of the boat to see it. If your going to go back there the you should be able to see the water coming out any ways right? With it pointed up the you can just look over your shoulder and see it.

puddle jumper

Captain

Thanks guys, this looks like a great idea. Should work on my 89 150 right? don't quite understand why some would point it down though where you still have to go to the back of the boat to see it. If your going to go back there the you should be able to see the water coming out any ways right? With it pointed up the you can just look over your shoulder and see it.

That's the neat thing about this mod you can point it and put it any place you want to.

gato760

Seaman Apprentice

Is this white square nylon plug the port you guys are using?

Here is the pic:

dorelse

Chief Petty Officer

Yep, looks like it. (Except mine was a SS Screw)

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

BTW, I was looking at the OEM Force manual and there is a cooling water flow diagram. It appears that the location where the tell tale is taking water off the system is at the end of the cooling path, so having some water bled off is not affecting cooling.

The diagram shows water enters the exhaust manifold, then flows to the top of the port side of the cylinders, then down to the bottom and up the starboard side, through the thermostats, then out.

stcroixjoe

Cadet

Just wanted to add my project ,I installed it today

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 10
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 10

stcroixjoe

Cadet

more pics

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 10

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Great! Another Force joins the tell tale club!

campbell1972

Recruit

Does anyone know if any Force Models (50HP specifically) have the TellTale from the factory?

Crater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

WOW what a great idea, I have a 90hp merc sportjet(force powerhead) No water pump BUT I run very shallow waters and have plugged the powerhead up once. With this tell tale I would know without pulling the T-Stat all the time.
BTY the plug is for a consumer flush kit (not enough capacity to cool the motor but just to flush out the powerhead)

Crater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok I bought all the pieces I thought I needed to add it to my Force to no avail when I got home the plug is not 1/4"NPT. Mine is in fact smaller and made out of plastic I this it eithe 1/8" or 3/16" I'm gonna take the plug with me tomorrow to get the corrects fittings. Just my luck:rolleyes: I least I'm still waiting on my CDI to come in so I'm not out of much time. Just looks like a alot of work to do all at once before me get to have fun.:)

sanjacriverrat

Recruit

Hey guys, I have a 96 force 50 hp. It has the plastic plug. It is really in there, it just bends when I try to take it out. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove it? Thanks :)

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

hook the exiting water to a tank and re-circulate the water to the intake on the L/U and make it a fresh water cooled outboard. Then no more flushing the motor out after the salt water use.

Status
Not open for further replies.