Can I add a telltale to the Force?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dempsey 1

Cadet
Re: Can I add a telltale to the Force?

Why not add a temp guage? It would be more accurate in telling you if the impeller is turning or if it's the thermostat. You could use the same hole that you use for the telltale just wire it up into the dash and your good to go.

Yes it may be easier to add a rubber line but wouldn't the temp guage be more accurate?

Brian

I use a Temp. gauge mounted under the dash on a s.s. gauge holder, it works well and visable at a glance.

cbercaw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I installed a temp gauge on my 50HP. However, instead of using the metal tab on a head bolt, I went a step further. I took a Temp sensor off an old honda car motor and threaded it into where the plug goes at the top of the water jacket. It works perfectly and gives me an actual water temp, not just a cylinder head temp. One of the best things Ive done to my OB.

srimes

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Added mine today except for the exit hole in the case, to a 79 70 horse. It used an 1/8" npt plug. And I got a $3 vacuum fitting that should should look slick once installed if it'll work. But when I tested it nothing came out! :eek:

Water came out the exhaust holes on the leg (whatever they're called), but not from the telltale unless I blipped the throttle, and even then it was only a few drops. What does this mean?

(p.s., I also posted this in my troubleshooting thread here: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?p=2597718#post2597718)

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Ya know, I started this thread in July of 07, so it will 3 years old soon. With over 15,000 views, and nearly 200 responses, I would say its a safe bet that a few hundred Force motors have been modified this way by now.

Comforting to not have one single report of a problem from adding a telltail.

I'd say at this point its a very safe mod worth the time and the $10 or so put into doing it.

Carry on! :D

Banditz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well yoru about to have yet another force engine 50hp be modded today as we speak! Figure this is a great mod! Thanks so much for posting! Oh yeah...goin duel outlets...one on each side of the outboard with baby tips to see just how far I can get it to squirt! LOL thanks again!

srimes

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I finished putting mine in today. I used a soft vacuum fitting that was less than $3.

attachment.php

Drilled a 1/4" hole and stuck it in:
attachment.php

A straight fitting would have been better, but the 90 works:
attachment.php

And with the hose attached:
attachment.php

Attachments

• telltale1.jpg
    telltale1.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 12
  • telltale2.jpg
    telltale2.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 12
  • telltale3.jpg
    telltale3.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 12
  • telltale4.jpg
    telltale4.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 12

89max

Cadet

Can you flush the motor through the telltale hose/adaptor without running the motor? If not, then what is the reason.

Whitefox

Cadet

Can you flush the motor through the telltale hose/adaptor without running the motor? If not, then what is the reason.

The whole point in putting a telltale on is that the factory telltale is on the aft side of the motor and can't be seen from in the boat without climbing to the stern and reaching down to the telltale to feel if the water is too hot..

AS to back flushing the motor, since most have put a reducer at the end of the line, your not going to be able to force much water into the power head unless you put in a T and cap it off until needed.

Earlier in the thread someone did indicate that the port that is being used for the new telltale was put there for back flushing the powerhead. As I remember, they did not say that the engine had to be running, but they did mention that there was not enough flow through the port for cooling so you would still have to supply water to the lower unit, or risk destruction of the impeller and over heating if you ran the motor.

puddle jumper

Captain

I think the tell tail is so you can tell the water pump is pumping. I would not recommend trying to flushing the engine with it.

swellington

Recruit

I added a fitting and hose as described on my 1986 Force 125 Hp but the water doesn't flow until the engine heats up, in fact steam starts coming out the hose before it finally let's go and has with a stream of hot water. The water's very hot, does this mean my water pump's not pumping right? I'm also curious why mine seems to on the other side of the T'Stat?

I've checked the water pump, it's worn but looks like it should work. I've ordered a new one and will try rebuilding it as soon as it arrives to see if this increases the water pressure.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

The whole point in putting a telltale on is that the factory telltale is on the aft side of the motor and can't be seen from in the boat without climbing to the stern and reaching down to the telltale to feel if the water is too hot..

Just to clarify, pre-merc Force motors do not have a telltale at all, like my 1985. That is how this thread came about.

Shife

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the tip, Guys. Works great.

IMG00111.jpg

lagerosk

Seaman Apprentice

Hi all,
I have just finished rebuilding my 1973 Chrysler 105 and also added a telltale while I was at it. The 105 does not have any spare blanked off fittings at the top of the head, block or thermostat housing so I had to drill and tap the block. The Banjo bolted elbow is off a BMW 320 diesel high pressure rail (stainless fitting) the hose is off a 330i and the brass fitting through the engine cover support is off a 318ti manifold but i had to cut and 8x1.25 thread on it. You'd never guess that I worked for BMW!!!

Attachments

• Chrysler 105 - Completed 014.JPG
    Chrysler 105 - Completed 014.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Chrysler 105 - Completed 015.JPG
    Chrysler 105 - Completed 015.JPG
    146.4 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC04650.JPG
    DSC04650.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC04652.JPG
    DSC04652.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC04654.JPG
    DSC04654.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 8

srimes

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just to confirm, do y'all get a stream from the telltale at WOT? Mine stops spitting somewhere in middle of the rpm range.

Shife

Chief Petty Officer

Just to confirm, do y'all get a stream from the telltale at WOT? Mine stops spitting somewhere in middle of the rpm range.

Mine increases in pressure as RPM increases. I have a good stream at idle but you could darn near cut metal plate with the stream at WOT. My impeller is new as of a few weeks ago. No experience with the tell tale and my old impeller as I installed the tell tale when I changed the impeller this spring.

How old is your impeller? These impellers are designed to work as a displacement pump at low speed and a centrifugal pump at high speed. Sounds like your vanes are old and stiff.

jason32038

Chief Petty Officer

I have a couple of ideas in mind when I get the 85 force running again here soon...the first is block off the upper exhaust exit with an expandable type rubber freeze/core plug and route dual 3/16 telltales out of the existing exhaust holes making a nice clean finish. Only question is will this restrict the exhaust or not? Other idea is relocate the upper exhaust below the existing exhaust holes and cut a 2 inch hole and use a short 2" exhaust tip routed with molded hose. I think a chrome tip would be nice sticking out about a quarter to an eighth inch through a grommet to make a nice finish and keep the tip from rattling. I then would still use the existing exhaust holes for the dual telltale. Might sound more aggressive and add a few hp? What do you guys think?

backpain

Cadet

Thanks for this thread all who have contributed! I just purchases a boat with a 45 Chrysler on it. I plan on doing this to it ASAP. It bothered me a bit when buying the boat that there was no telltale.

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm ordering lower end seals for my '70 55hp.
going to add the tell tale to my outboard as well.

I too have the stainless slotted screw in mine, I tried to remove it tonight but no go.

Status
Not open for further replies.