Can I add a telltale to the Force?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonycrespo

Seaman
Re: Can I add a telltale to the Force?

I'm not able to loosen the slotted screw at the top of the block, would a fitting installed in the thermostate cover do the same? Maybe only show water flow when the thermostate opens up...
your thoughts

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I'm not able to loosen the slotted screw at the top of the block, would a fitting installed in the thermostate cover do the same? Maybe only show water flow when the thermostate opens up...
your thoughts

The cover is not very thick so it won't hold a fitting well, and T-stat will have to be open to show flow.

Did you try an impact driver on the screw? Also try heating the area with a propane torch. The aluminum expands faster than the steel, so it helps to loosen the screw.

forceboy

Seaman Apprentice

OK guys - if you have good water coming from tell-tale and overheat alarm still goes off does that point ot a thermostat? What else could plug on way out? I am going to put a pressure gauge on it and try and get a reading.

puddle jumper

Captain

I would pull the thermostat and see if the alarm still sounds.You may have a stuck thermostat.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Sounds like a stuck thermostat. Be careful removing the cover screws, I hear they tend to break off easy.

Just trying to give something back to the folks that have helped me in the past. Here a pressure gauge, temp gauge, telltale port (not hooked up) on a 95 Force 40 hp. If I hooked up the telltale I would put a restrictor with a 1/32 hole to maintain pressure.

motor1.jpg

motor2.jpg

WOW, That is COOL!! I decided to do this on my 1987 85HP and it was easy to do. I think I have about $10 in it total and about 30min of time. Used two 1/8" M.I.P. x 3/16" H.B. with 3/16" ID Tubing. Stuck a 1/8" ID peice of tubing at the Outlet to restrict the amount of water flow from the 3/16" as there seemed to be some banter about the flow taking water away from cooling the engine so I did it just to be safe. Drilled a hole and used a 1/4" flare nut on the outside and a rubber gasket inside on the Hose Barb and it works great! On Muffs it take a few seconds to start flowing but that is fine as after a few it is pumping water out no problem!

Thanks for the great Idea and I will see how it goes on the water later today hopefully but for sure this weekend...

Scott C.

Attachments

• Tell Tale Outlet (Large).jpg
    Tell Tale Outlet (Large).jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Tell Tale Inside (Large).jpg
    Tell Tale Inside (Large).jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 13

tony4pyro

Cadet

I can't say enough about this website. I just finished adding a tell-tale to my 1986 Force 125HP, and I was elated to see a 3 foot pee stream coming out when I fired it up. I never would have known how to do this, and I always wondered why these motors did not have these to begin with. Threads like this really have helped me learn a lot about my old boat ('86 Bayliner Capri), and I have recommended this site to all of my boating buddies who wonder how I know how to repair my engine without paying a marine mechanic $75 an hour. Thanks to all of you who have shared your knowledge on this site!!

rotaryguy

Recruit

ok I bought all the pieces I thought I needed to add it to my Force to no avail when I got home the plug is not 1/4"NPT. Mine is in fact smaller and made out of plastic I this it eithe 1/8" or 3/16" I'm gonna take the plug with me tomorrow to get the corrects fittings. Just my luck:rolleyes: I least I'm still waiting on my CDI to come in so I'm not out of much time. Just looks like a alot of work to do all at once before me get to have fun.:)

Mine was different size as well. Instead of 1/4npt mine was 1/8npt. I just did mine last night. I'll post up pics later this evening. It was completely dark by the time I got the tarp back over the boat!

Crater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Forceboy,
I kind of had the same problem, until I remove the head and the exhaust manifold. I have a 90hp sportjet, I removed about a half cup of sand from the exhaust manifold. There are also very small water passages that run into the head to allow water around the cylinders. There about the size of a pencil lead, and you have to look close to even see them. They were also plugged, after I cleaned it all out the dreaded buzzer quit. I was even lucky enough that I didn't have to change the head gasket or manifold gasket either.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

Hey guys , I keep reading about the slotted plug being 1/4 "...... I removed my plug and it is most definately 1/8" NPT threads.... 1987 Force 125......excellent idea to add a telltale....I will do it soon , I think I'll use copper tubing instead of hose,....I hate to think of the damage a hose rupturing inside cowling would do.....plus, a 90 compression fitting is easier to find than a 90 hose barb and will make for a cleaner install.....just my .02

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

I can't say enough about this website. I just finished adding a tell-tale to my 1986 Force 125HP, and I was elated to see a 3 foot pee stream coming out when I fired it up. I never would have known how to do this, and I always wondered why these motors did not have these to begin with. Threads like this really have helped me learn a lot about my old boat ('86 Bayliner Capri), and I have recommended this site to all of my boating buddies who wonder how I know how to repair my engine without paying a marine mechanic $75 an hour. Thanks to all of you who have shared your knowledge on this site!!

I agree Tony , this forum is INVALUABLE !!!! Many thanks to all who contribute....:D

moparman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Stachi the only down side to using the copper tubing is it tends to brake with all the vibrations that the motor goes through. If you were to use straps to hold it down to the motor every so often might work ,but some good quality hose and check it once and awhile is still the way to go I believe. MOPARMAN ROLL TIDE 9-0

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

Good point Mopar , I'll consider that , ...brings to mind the awesome amount of clamps that needed to be removed when replacing hydraulic lines on the A-7D Corsair II's I worked on....thanks for the vibration reminder.....its been 30 + years since then...ahh geeeze... 30 + years....:D

sentinel

Seaman

General info for do-it-yourself'rs.

12 Years ago, I restored an old Mercury 40 HP (4 cylinder) built in the 70's for racing. I learned of several problems and found single simple solution.

1) I needed a tell-tale.
2) I wanted to control that water stream because it takes away from cold water flow down through the engine water jackets.
3) The uppermost cylinder will be the hottest because air bubbles from cavitation, planing, various prop & keel turbulances, etc., are pulled in by the water pump and accumulate in the water jacket around the uppermost cylinder. These air bubbles do ACCUMULATE or build up during normal operation and heat the top cylinder higher than it should be on every engine. I wanted those bubbles removed as soon as they occured.

The solution was simple. Drill and tap the highest point in the water jacket where the cold water from the pump enters the engine. Very often this is the area where the thermostat resides. Use a brass bleeder valve and adjust for a very small stream. You will see some "sputtering" now and then. This is good because the sputtering is the release of the trapped air pockets and bubbles during the pee'ing.

Another trick some of you might like is keeping a lid on an engines temperature. I installed a fixed temperature gauge (precision dial type) visible on the outside of the cowling. The stem of the gauge was CLAMPED to a head bolt at the top with a pre-shaped aluminium strip bent into a "U" and drilled for the head bolt. It could be done easily with a remote digital outdoor sensor. It is very comforting to KNOW your engines temperature on a hot day when you are busy challenging everything on the water that thinks it is fast....... :D

Lastly..... Investigate making & mounting speed rails if you want to "scoot".

Larry
(will not go any further into racing topics)

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

awsome thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tons of great ideas and such .......

13000 views holy smokes! guess it was a great idea that was of interest to many

puddle jumper

Captain

General info for do-it-yourself'rs.

12 Years ago, I restored an old Mercury 40 HP (4 cylinder) built in the 70's for racing. I learned of several problems and found single simple solution.

1) I needed a tell-tale.
2) I wanted to control that water stream because it takes away from cold water flow down through the engine water jackets.
3) The uppermost cylinder will be the hottest because air bubbles from cavitation, planing, various prop & keel turbulances, etc., are pulled in by the water pump and accumulate in the water jacket around the uppermost cylinder. These air bubbles do ACCUMULATE or build up during normal operation and heat the top cylinder higher than it should be on every engine. I wanted those bubbles removed as soon as they occured.

The solution was simple. Drill and tap the highest point in the water jacket where the cold water from the pump enters the engine. Very often this is the area where the thermostat resides. Use a brass bleeder valve and adjust for a very small stream. You will see some "sputtering" now and then. This is good because the sputtering is the release of the trapped air pockets and bubbles during the pee'ing.

Another trick some of you might like is keeping a lid on an engines temperature. I installed a fixed temperature gauge (precision dial type) visible on the outside of the cowling. The stem of the gauge was CLAMPED to a head bolt at the top with a pre-shaped aluminium strip bent into a "U" and drilled for the head bolt. It could be done easily with a remote digital outdoor sensor. It is very comforting to KNOW your engines temperature on a hot day when you are busy challenging everything on the water that thinks it is fast....... :D

Lastly..... Investigate making & mounting speed rails if you want to "scoot".

Larry
(will not go any further into racing topics)

i don't mind:D

Rickybilly

Recruit

Hello all. Seeking help. I'm am new and clueless to the boating world. Two days ago I purchased a 1980 20 hp Chrysler O/B motor from craigslist for 60.00. I have hopes to get it running great and put it on 18' alum boat.
It's elect. Start w/ key and it turns but does not turn over. When push key , carb opens and closes. Getting gas fine. Good compression. I don't think no spark in plugs. What to do? Do I need to buy a puller to pull off top drum from motor? What is a stator, trigger, and rectifier???
Do I need new electronic box w/ harness??
I need help. Anybody. Thanks folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.