Boating the Upper Chesapeake

arks

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Boating the Upper Chesapeake

Bowman- I was kayaking in HdG yesterday.
Is "Sinbad" your boat?
If so, I like it!
Bowmanssailboat.jpg

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Well, we made it back from our amazing vacation!!! We had an awesome time!

Looks like everyone else had a pretty good Memorial day too. I was in an airplane flying home over lakes and rivers looking at all the boats (little white specks with tails) wishing I was on the water instead of being in an airplane.) Oh well, Alaksa more than made up for it.

Scott - Neat pic of the boat.

Rob - great advice as I have been thinking about heading through the canal sometime just to check it out.

I also love to be near the ships to check them out but completly agree with giving them a large berth. Also - watch out for the sometimes decieving bow wave and wakes, you don't always realize how big they are until you are on top of them.

Anyone know how long it takes to get through the canal? I went as far as Chesapeake City once. There is a no wake zone around Chesapeake City, how far does that continue down the canal?

Well - I guess it is back to the real world again. My tenant just moved out and left us with a big project to do. So that is going to take most of this month. Still hoping to make it down to the bay a couple of times though. We will see what happens.

Also, I believe that we still need to get a raft up on the calender!!! I am throwing out suggestions of Sundays 6/27 or 7/18. Whats everyone else thinking?

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Anyone know how long it takes to get through the canal? I went as far as Chesapeake City once. There is a no wake zone around Chesapeake City, how far does that continue down the canal?

The canal is about 14 miles long. Chesapeake City is about 2 miles from the western end of the canal. The no-wake zone is only a few hundred feet long near Chesapeake City.
The time required to transit the canal is dependent on your speed; I typically cruise it at about 30mph so it's about a 35 minute trip including the no-wake zone.

Delaware City is at the eastern end of the canal. There's a public dock and some nice shops; you can stop for ice cream. At low tide you can take a side channel directly from the canal to Delaware City without going into the Delaware river; at high tide you may not be able to fit under the bridge that spans the channel. The channel is marked on charts.

skargo

Banned

Yes, let's get a raft up planned. We've been rafting up with some friends who are new to boating every weekend.

They have a really neat, rare boat, here's a pic, it's a 1990 Wellcraft Excalibur. They got it with almost no hours, it is like brand new!

29088_10150203094995652_554955651_12582040_7656579_n.jpg

Blue Crabber

Ensign

The canal is about 14 miles long. Chesapeake City is about 2 miles from the western end of the canal. The no-wake zone is only a few hundred feet long near Chesapeake City.
The time required to transit the canal is dependent on your speed; I typically cruise it at about 30mph so it's about a 35 minute trip including the no-wake zone.

Delaware City is at the eastern end of the canal. There's a public dock and some nice shops; you can stop for ice cream. At low tide you can take a side channel directly from the canal to Delaware City without going into the Delaware river; at high tide you may not be able to fit under the bridge that spans the channel. The channel is marked on charts.

Thanks for the info, it is very helpful! I might try to make it over there sometime this summer when I am looking to burn a little extra gas.

rauch0812

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just read the responses about going to the fireworks in the Delaware Bay... i'll rather pass. That's just waaay to much for new boaters. I appreciate the response!

Next question - are there places in the Bohemia where you can tie up your boat and go eat? Even if it's just ice cream or sandwiches? What marinas will let you tie up and leave the boat for an hour?

HappierWet

Master Chief Petty Officer

I just read the responses about going to the fireworks in the Delaware Bay... i'll rather pass. That's just waaay to much for new boaters. I appreciate the response!

Next question - are there places in the Bohemia where you can tie up your boat and go eat? Even if it's just ice cream or sandwiches? What marinas will let you tie up and leave the boat for an hour?

I am not aware of any restaurants on the Bohemia. Bohemia Bay is the only "maybe", but I don't think so. As far as tying up, I think unless your just going up to their ship's store, they'll charge some dockage.
On the other hand, the Sassafras, up at Georgetown and Fredericktown has some great restaurants. Especially the Granary. For Sandwiches, you might rent or borrow a car ( Georgetown and Skipjack both used to do this but it's been awhile) and go to Galena ( a mile south of Georgetown) try Twinney's or Dixie Jo's.

Billdc

Petty Officer 1st Class

If I were on the Bohemia, I would be at the Chesapeake Inn on the C and D canal every weekend. The food is very good (try the softshell BLT) and I like sitting outside and watching the "Big" boats. There is a public dock, that I think is free and you can use if you want to walk into town and eat. Sorry, just noticed you are from Elkton and probably already know about the C Inn.(Reading is fundamental)

arks

Lieutenant Commander

None on the Bohemia (or the Elk for that matter) but if you go around Turkey Point you'll have a couple of good choices- The Nauti-Goose in Northeast, and the Wellwood or River Shack in Charlestown.
I believe they offer free dockage for diners.

http://www.nautigoosesaloon.com/
http://www.wellwoodclub.com/finedining.html
http://www.wellwoodclub.com/rivershack.html

rauch0812

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's funny, we go to the C-Inn by car all the time (since we drive past it to get to the marina), lol. But once we're in the boat on the Bohemia the kids always ask to stop for ice cream or something and we never know where to go... Stinks there nowhere right where we are boating. Oh well...

skargo

Banned

We're rafting up with some friends at Hart-Miller this Sunday if anyone will be down that way.

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Yes, let's get a raft up planned.

Alright. It looks like Scott and I are in. Anybody else interested? I would love to meet some of the new folks around here. Here is a post from a thread we had going about it last year. Arks did a really good job explaining the process of rafting up for those that are new to it and nervous about it.

I've rafted hundreds of times without a problem. I think it's one of the best parts of boating. How it works: A larger boat sets anchor and everyone ties to them. If the raftup gets bigger, other boats will be asked to set their anchors as they join in (to add grip and stability). Rafting is not difficult at all if the wind and waves are reasonable. That said, if it's breezy the best policy is to approach from the downwind side and toss a couple lines to the last boat in line. That will prevent any unintentional tie-up damage.
Fenders are critical to a good raftup, so you should all have AT LEAST 3 (borrow them if you have to!). Bigger fenders are better than small, especially if there is significant wave action. Always pre-rig your fenders on the side you'll be tieing to; on most boats under 25' fenders need to be set high- centered on the rubrail if possible, and F-R from the windshield to the stern- not near the bow. They can be adjusted after 'locking in' with the group.
As far as lines, each incoming boat should pre-attach a bow and stern line (no more than 25' long), and have them ready to toss. A third (spring)line is usually added after locking in to minimize lateral movement.

It sounds like a lot to do, but it's really not a big deal if the above preparations are made. Just remember- when rafting, fenders keep your fiberglass from damage, so bring 'em and use 'em. I carry 8 and often use them all.

This quote was taken from this thread we had going about last years first annual raft up.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=324119

(This is an old thread so please don't post in it!)

The thread continues to answer more questions about rafting up so feel free to read though it.

Last year was our first raft up and we made the mistake of getting there late. We were a little nervous to meet everyone and the whole process of rafting up even with the great job Rob did putting the event together. From what I remember though, those that came had a great time. We did too and we were only there for an hour or so in the evening. We won't make that mistake again!!!

Alright, post up if you are interested, want more info, have other dates to suggest, want to participate, etc. If we get enough chatter going, we'll start a new thread to keep better control of it. Lets make this years raft-up bigger and better than the last!!

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

i am taking a 3 day sail starting on sunday.
might make it down to heart miller by sunday afternoon

skargo

Banned

Rafting up is FUN, we've been doing it every weekend, let's get on the ball people. Great post Blue Crabber!

i am taking a 3 day sail starting on sunday.
might make it down to heart miller by sunday afternoon
Awesome, I'd like to see your boat!

SuperNova

Lieutenant

We are going to be camping in Elk Neck from Tues 6/15 to Sun 6/20 and from Wed 6/30 to Tues 7/6. Should be out and about in one of the boats or the other during that time. Anybody else going to be around during the week of 6/14? Maybe out after work? I have to replace the stator in the V-20's engine this week and test it out if we're going to bring it down to the bay next week. If not then it'll be the Nova coming down with us, but I was hoping to get some fishing in and maybe some crabbing so I'd prefer the V-20 if it'll cooperate.

Billdc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did anybody make it out on Sunday 6/6? Not that I had time, but NOAA had a small craft advisory out. It seemed nice here in PA, but I was just curious? I should be able to make it to a raft up almost any weekend. I have something on 6/19-20, but other than that I'm free until my wife tells me I'm not.