Boating the Upper Chesapeake

rauch0812

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Boating the Upper Chesapeake

I know I'm posting off topic but you guys always have the answers in this tread... Quick question about boating... when we first take off (and we're trimmed all the way in/down) the nose of our boat goes so high up the air it makes our stomachs drop :eek:, then it finally levels out. Is there anything we can do to the boat to change this? We even load all of the kids up in the bow (their favorite place to be anyway) and it puts them way up in the air. I hate it. What are we doing wrong or how can we change this?

Another question - the internet ad for our boat when we bought it said it draws 33", how do I find out if this is correct? I've searched the internet and I can't find anything. Some people have told me that's alot for a 20' boat and may not be correct...

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Short of adding Smart Tabs or trim tabs, just nail the throttle pretty good to get up on plane quickly and then back it down to your desired speed.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

try trimming the motor back up on take off.
It is really easy to fighure out your draft.
Just anchor in 4 ft of water and look from the back of your boat, to see how far under water it is.
OR feel from the side of the boat with your feet to get an estimate.

skargo

Banned

Interesting chart Scott. I have always run the inside one. (The yellow line.) I haven't exactly located the channel farther out yet. (The red line.) I have to go slow and find it next time I head over to Havre De Grace.
Next time we are out together, let's follow each other through both, and make waypoints accordingly!
try trimming the motor back up on take off.
It is really easy to fighure out your draft.
Just anchor in 4 ft of water and look from the back of your boat, to see how far under water it is.
OR feel from the side of the boat with your feet to get an estimate.

Wouldn't trimming the motor up amplify their problem?

I keep meaning to measure my draft when I'm swimming, maybe I'll do it this weekend! I'm usually relaxing and enjoying myself so much I forget stuff like that.

Billdc

Petty Officer 1st Class

I know I'm posting off topic but you guys always have the answers in this tread... Quick question about boating... when we first take off (and we're trimmed all the way in/down) the nose of our boat goes so high up the air it makes our stomachs drop :eek:, then it finally levels out. Is there anything we can do to the boat to change this? We even load all of the kids up in the bow (their favorite place to be anyway) and it puts them way up in the air. I hate it. What are we doing wrong or how can we change this?

Another question - the internet ad for our boat when we bought it said it draws 33", how do I find out if this is correct? I've searched the internet and I can't find anything. Some people have told me that's alot for a 20' boat and may not be correct...

Has the boat always done that or is it worse this year? Is the boat sitting in the water the same as last year? If you ask in the prop section they could probably offer some suggestions for a different prop that may help. As mentioned the trim tabs will reduce the time it takes to bring the bow down.
The draft sounds about right, mine is 32" according to the webiste, but I've never confirmed that. If it's off a couple of inches I don't think you could tell on the depth finder before you hit bottom.

skargo

Banned

Well Lapidum is finally open, you'd think I'd be overjoyed. I'm not.I understand the need to be ADA compliant but it is really going to be hard to launch solo.
It might be hard to launch with help.
It's a wood dock, then a long aluminum ramp, then a floating cement dock. Once you float your boat you'll be right at the aluminum part, and the concrete part extends out wider.
I guess we'll adapt.

A few pics from an hour ago,
29738_10150209534780652_554955651_12775743_1171014_n.jpg

29738_10150209535240652_554955651_12775748_2772946_n.jpg

29738_10150209535480652_554955651_12775753_2537906_n.jpg

29738_10150209568130652_554955651_12776939_2451082_n.jpg

twin jet

Recruit

Myself and some other yamaha jet boats are having a get together at Hartmiller island tomorrow. Anyone interested in joining up with us?

rauch0812

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Has the boat always done that or is it worse this year? Is the boat sitting in the water the same as last year? If you ask in the prop section they could probably offer some suggestions for a different prop that may help. As mentioned the trim tabs will reduce the time it takes to bring the bow down.
The draft sounds about right, mine is 32" according to the webiste, but I've never confirmed that. If it's off a couple of inches I don't think you could tell on the depth finder before you hit bottom.

The boat is new to us this year, been out about 4 times. We don't store it in the water, but when we launch it or when we're anchored out I don't notice any tilt at all - only when going faster. We looked at other boats at the marina with smart tabs and I'm not sure how we can fit them around the swim ladder, we're going to have to figure it out. Thanks for the info on the draft - I'll stick with 3ft.

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

the wife and i will be down july 1st till the 5th. We'll be launching from rogue harbor and spending the nights in the bohemia river. Were thinking a nice cruise to the bay bridge or cruising the whole c&d canal. Just depends how much fuel i want to burn...lol.. I usually have the vhf on channel 16 just hail "lunasea". I beleive the northeast fireworks are on saturday night. We'll be there for them

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Also has anyone gone to the nauti goose for the prime rib and seafood buffet. Is it worth the money? Were thinking of going.

skargo

Banned

Also has anyone gone to the nauti goose for the prime rib and seafood buffet. Is it worth the money? Were thinking of going.
Their food is great. While I never had their dinner buffet, we've had their breakfast buffet and eaten there many times, always good! In fact, my avatar is from us pulling out from the goose...

Who's going out tomorrow?

skargo

Banned

Had fun today, rafted up with Andrew(Caravelle Captain) and Ashley and crew again, always cool to hang with nice people!

Got hit with some rain, but it blew over so we stayed in Cara cove for awhile. It started looking nasty over by the Susquehanna and we heard thunder and saw lightning. We decided to get out of there. About halfway across the North East River we were caught in a squall, very little visibility and the rain was coming down hard. Got to the west shore of the North East and it appeared to be clearing up, so we followed Andrew(thanks dude) threw the close to shore channel and once we got to Furnace bay it stopped raining and cleared up! I dropped waypoints along the way so we can go that way now too!.

Putted up the Perryville side of the river then came back to Lapidum, where we waited 45 minutes to retrieve due to some no clue jetski people. That story is in the ramp etiquette thread.

Still a great day, albeit too short!

p.s. why does it get oppressively hot and stormy every Sunday?

Storm head rolling in by Carpenter's point,
30148_10150210612850652_554955651_12810732_5422112_n.jpg

My new flag!
30148_10150210608520652_554955651_12810532_4284764_n.jpg

Andrew(fixing his hair lol) Ashley and Andrew's brother.
30148_10150210607955652_554955651_12810512_8331684_n.jpg

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

i was driving down the the marina around 2 maybe. And on my way there, on rt 40 it was raining cats and dogs.
I mean you couldn't go faster than 35 mph and still see.
Once I got to the marina I noticed one of my gas tanks floating down the river.
I keep a 12 ft dinggy floating at my slip, and that boat capsized.
I had a generator sitting in the boat too. I recovered just about everything but a few extension cords. I had to use the halyard to pull the boat out of the water. And the generator.

I assume the generator is ruined, but we will see.

The boat had to have just capsized, since the gas can was not too far down the river. I swam out and got that.

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Glad to hear that you had a good time out on the water Scott. We didn't make it out today but hopefully sometime soon.

And I am lovin that flag!! Where did you get it from?

skargo

Banned

i was driving down the the marina around 2 maybe. And on my way there, on rt 40 it was raining cats and dogs.
I mean you couldn't go faster than 35 mph and still see.
Once I got to the marina I noticed one of my gas tanks floating down the river.
I keep a 12 ft dinggy floating at my slip, and that boat capsized.
I had a generator sitting in the boat too. I recovered just about everything but a few extension cords. I had to use the halyard to pull the boat out of the water. And the generator.

I assume the generator is ruined, but we will see.

The boat had to have just capsized, since the gas can was not too far down the river. I swam out and got that.
That is the storm we got caught in, visibility was 10' I bet.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, where is your slip?

Glad to hear that you had a good time out on the water Scott. We didn't make it out today but hopefully sometime soon.

And I am lovin that flag!! Where did you get it from?
Thanks Brandon. Stacey got me a gift card to WM and I used it for the teak flagpole and flag!

BTW, I cut off the solderless antenna cable connection and put another one on, I saw I didn't pierce the center insulation properly with the first one. Works great now!

rauch0812

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, Sunday was our first storm boating... that was fun (thick sarcasm here):(. We were out on the Bohemia near the 213 bridge. We ended up rafting up with a friend and climbing onto his 34 footer, when that storm rolled thru it thrashed our little 20 footer like it was a row boat:eek:. Boy did it rain hard! If we hadn't had the larger boat to climb onto it would have been terrifying. Then it passed over and it was beautiful! Right back to tubing :D. Since that was our 4th time out on boat we're curious - does this happen often?

SuperNova

Lieutenant

Well, Sunday was our first storm boating... that was fun (thick sarcasm here):(. We were out on the Bohemia near the 213 bridge. We ended up rafting up with a friend and climbing onto his 34 footer, when that storm rolled thru it thrashed our little 20 footer like it was a row boat:eek:. Boy did it rain hard! If we hadn't had the larger boat to climb onto it would have been terrifying. Then it passed over and it was beautiful! Right back to tubing :D. Since that was our 4th time out on boat we're curious - does this happen often?
You can bet your *** on it. Storms roll up the Bay pretty frequently and they're usually over just as quick as they start. Sometimes they just roll up one shoreline or the other and leave the opposite one alone. If the strom comes from the south, it'll get nasty for a bit but usually be over fairly quickly....if it comes from the Northeast...watch out and head for home 'cause she's probably gonna settle in for awhile. The biggest danger is not so much the wind or the rain as it is the lightning. You see a lightning storm coming up the Bay and you best make a run for home or get off the boat and get up on dry land before it hits.

Side note: coming down to Elk Neck tomorrow night and staying until Sunday morning. Don't have a radio on the V-20 yet and that is what we are bringing down with us, but Arks has my cell # and so does lime4x4. So if anyone is going to be in the area, just PM either of those two and they'll give you my number and maybe we can get together. I am trusting them to use common sense about my number, but I don't think that is much of a risk with them. Thanks guys. Hope to see somebody over the next few days. You know, even if I had a radio, I haven't named the boat yet, so I don't even know that you could hail me anyway. lol If not then the Fourth isn't too far off yet and we'll certainly have a good raft up then. See you all on the bay, and keep the wet side in shade.

Blue Crabber

Ensign

BTW, I cut off the solderless antenna cable connection and put another one on, I saw I didn't pierce the center insulation properly with the first one. Works great now!

Glad to hear that it is working properly now. Maybe we'll be able to catch each other out on the water now! ;) Although, it looks like I won't be down until the 4th though. :mad:

You know, even if I had a radio, I haven't named the boat yet, so I don't even know that you could hail me anyway. lol

Haha. I have the same problem, still trying to come up with a name for the new boat. I like "Nauti Fun" but my wife isn't crazy about it.

If not then the Fourth isn't too far off yet and we'll certainly have a good raft up then.

Wish I could get down there while you are down this week and meet the infamous person who started this fine thread, but I guess I will just have to wait until the 4th. Have a great time down there!

skargo

Banned

We'll be out Saturday Stan. If you make it to Cara Cove on the North East, look for us!
Rob has my cell as well ;) I do have a radio if you end up with a handheld or something too.

Damifudo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great pictures of the weekend. Something very rare happened Saturday.... The wife and I got to go out on the boat alone. It was date night on the boat with no kids and a cooler full of cold drinks and no place special to go. We put in at Wilson Pt and just motored around slowly in Middle River. The wind was up so we didnt venture too far. I was watching storms rolling across and didnt want to go out of the protection of the river like we had planned. We were looking for a place to tie up and have a nice relaxing dinner. I really wanted to go to the Granery on the Sassafras river but I didnt want to risk crossing the bay. I have never been there but I hear it is a great place to go. ( Anyone been there before?)

Well a friend of mine told me to head to Maryland Marina and go to a place Called Wild Duck. Wow a very nice place. Good food and great drinks. A litttle $$$$ but hey we had no kids with us. Watching the competition for docking space is well worth the cost of a few beers. It is great fun to see people trying to tie up 28 foot boat in a 20 foot spot at the dock oh and did I mention they had been drinking all afternoon. TV sit coms are not that good! :D

Friday night we are heading to Peir Six for a little bit of Earth Wind and Fire.

Wildduck003.jpg