where is mt thermostat?

1975evinrude25

Recruit
i have a 1975 evinrude 25hp and is overheating as soon as it starts. i have checked the impellor and its fine. what should i do

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: where is mt thermostat?

it's located under the water jacket, attached to the head . you can find diagram and parts list here. also replace the poppit valve at the same time.
"http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/Accessories/Literature/"

F_R

Supreme Mariner

i have a 1975 evinrude 25hp and is overheating as soon as it starts. i have checked the impellor and its fine. what should i do

It is not the thermostat causing that. There should be water going through even if the 'stat is closed. Go back and take another look at the water pump. You are missing something. While you are in there, try blowing air or water up through the water tube to see if anything is plugged up.

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant

Make sure the impeller pin is properly inserted and that the impeller is not slipping on the shaft ring. Also, can you see if the copper tube is properly inserted into the pump housing's rubber grommet?

rudedude

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you removed the water pump, there is a slotted stainless plate that the empeller sits on, if by chance it was put in backwards it dosen't allow the amount of water that is needed to cool the motor until you get it reved up a little.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Are you starting it in a drum, on the water or on muffs? Make sure the lower unit is submerged above the cavitation plate ..

1975evinrude25

Recruit

i took the jacket off and there no stat there. i have taken the jaket apart and checked it looks fine

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I told you the problem is not the thermostat! "Jacket"? The thermostat is in the top of the cylinder head, if that's what you mean.