Boating the Upper Chesapeake

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Boating the Upper Chesapeake

it looks just like another nore easter. Maybe 2 ft. But i don't know what the record is. I swear, we had 3 ft in 2002. That last big blizzard before the one this year.

skargo

Banned

it looks just like another nore easter. Maybe 2 ft. But i don't know what the record is. I swear, we had 3 ft in 2002. That last big blizzard before the one this year.
The winds will be out of the SE Friday, switching to N NE Saturday. I heard from some state police it could be HUGE.

We've NEVER had 3' in one storm!

From here,
http://www.erh.noaa.gov/lwx/Historic_Events/md-winter.html
Top 20 Snowstorms in Baltimore: (1891-2006)
1 28.2 inches ... Feb. 15-18, 2003 11 14.1 inches ... Dec. 11-12, 1960
2 26.5 inches ... Jan. 27-29, 1922 12 13.1 inches ... Feb. 11-12, 2006
3 22.8 inches ... Feb. 11, 1983 13 13.0 inches ... Mar. 5-7, 1962
4 22.5 inches ... Jan. 7-8, 1996 14 12.3 inches ... Jan. 22, 1987
5 22.0 inches ... Mar. 29-30, 1942 15 12.1 inches ... Jan. 30-31, 1966
6 21.4 inches ... Feb. 11-14, 1899 16 12.0 inches ... Feb. 16-18, 1900
7 20.0 inches ... Feb. 18-19, 1979 17 11.9 inches ... Mar. 13-14, 1993
8 16.0 inches ... Mar. 15-18, 1892 18 11.7 inches ... Feb. 5-8, 1899
9 15.5 inches ... Feb. 15, 1958 19 11.5 inches ... Dec. 17-18, 1932
10 14.9 inches ... Jan. 25, 2000 20 11.5 inches ... Mar. 21-22, 1964

Jillybean

Seaman Apprentice

Hi everyone!

I'm new to this forum, actually new to any boat forum. My husband and I just bought our first boat last week after going to the Baltimore Boat Show. We are super excited about spending the summer on the water!! I'm looking for any and all advice, and thought this thread would be a great place to make my first post. We'll be mainly boating on the Upper Chesapeake so hopefully we'll get to know many of you in the coming months.

I can't wait for the warm weather to get here...especially with the two feet of snow thats forecasted for this weekend.

skargo

Banned

Welcome Jillybean,
congrats on the new boat purchase. Tell us more about it.

My wife and I bought a boat last year, and this place has been a valuable asset and tool!

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

congrats on the new purchase. What kind of boat?
You going to trailer it to the ramp, or keep it at a slip?

Jillybean

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the congrats! We are so excited. I must say, it's quite a tease to buy a boat and then be forced to wait a few months before you can use.:(

To answer a few of your questions, we bought a Stingray 220DR. We've been looking at boats for awhile now, and this one just really seemed to fit our needs/wants.

Right now, we don't have a trailer...and that'll be something we'll need. Good thing is, we got free storage for a year from the dealer in Middle River so we can wait off for awhile. We live down in Odenton just outside of Fort Meade which is a good 45 minute drive away. We're a little bummed about the drive, but at least we'll have the next year to find some place to store the boat that is closer to us.

Looks like there is some great info on this site. Can't wait to spend a little more time and go dredging through some old threads. I'll have to get my hubby on here. I'm sure he'll have tons of questions.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

you might not need a trailer if you store it at a slip on the bay. maybe near rivera beach. you could drive the boat down on the water, to get it to its new home.

how heavy is the boat? you have a big pick-up to tow it?
you have a place to keep it at ur house?

SuperNova

Lieutenant

I know this may be a little early, but we need to start thinking about Memorial Weekend, and Fourth of July. We are working on getting a 30ft camper so we can stay at Elk Neck and launch out of Rogues Harbor, mainly because right now it's the only campground I know of that has a boat ramp close by......but I am learning...

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

We'll be down for 4th of july. Not sure if the boat will be ready for memorial day weekend.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

No bottom work for me this spring so I'll be ready (hell, I'm ready NOW:D).

...mainly because right now it's the only campground I know of that has a boat ramp close by......but I am learning...
One thing that sucks about Elk Neck SP is that they don't offer overnight dockage or moorings. If you stay there you'd have to either trailer the boat every day or anchor it in the river and swim to shore- and the waters adjacent to the campsites can be weedy.

How 'bout this one on the Bush River. Never personally camped there but I've been thru it a few times. http://www.barharborrvpark.com/

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

bar harbor seems like a cool place. i have driven around there a few times.

you think the bay will freeze up from this cold?

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Wow, its been awhile since I have checked back in here. Started a new job and things have been crazy during the change. However the great part is that I no longer have to work weekends!! So, we are looking forward to some of the holidays down on the bay this year!! We will definitely be there July 4th weekend.

Also, before long, it will be time to start planning the 2nd annual Upper Bay raft-up. Looking forward to seeing everyone again as soon as this snow melts!

skargo

Banned

Wow, its been awhile since I have checked back in here. Started a new job and things have been crazy during the change. However the great part is that I no longer have to work weekends!! So, we are looking forward to some of the holidays down on the bay this year!! We will definitely be there July 4th weekend.

Also, before long, it will be time to start planning the 2nd annual Upper Bay raft-up. Looking forward to seeing everyone again as soon as this snow melts!
Glad your job is going well, and even more glad you have weekends off. We'll see a lot more of you guys this year hopefully!

Billdc

Petty Officer 1st Class

I stayed in Bar harbor last summer, My buddy has a camper and has stayed there once or twice a year for couple of years. They have slips for overnight, alittle shallow at low tide, but I could still get in and out. And if I remember I had to load at mid tide or higher with my 23', and I think my boat sits alittle high on the trailer. Ask for a spot near the ramp/dock as they have a nice little "beach" and a fishing/drinking dock. There are other water front lots that are not as nice and the water was a mess with no movement, so there was some trash and lots of bugs. It was 15-20 min down the bush to the bay, but it was a nice ride. We are going back again this year in Aug for a weekend.

SuperNova

Lieutenant

One thing that sucks about Elk Neck SP is that they don't offer overnight dockage or moorings. If you stay there you'd have to either trailer the boat every day or anchor it in the river and swim to shore- and the waters adjacent to the campsites can be weedy.

How 'bout this one on the Bush River. Never personally camped there but I've been thru it a few times. http://www.barharborrvpark.com/
I figured I'd have to pull the boat out at night, but I ran into a small snag, I think. I was reading Woodalls and looking up campsites on the upper bay and most of them state "29' max length". The trailer we bought is 30', think they'll measure it? Hey, Arks, isn't there a campsite over in HdG? I thought I saw one listed.....

Good news is we did buy the trailer, we pick it up this Sat. So hopefully this means more time on the bay this year. ' Course towing a 28' boat and a 30' trailer should be fun.....

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

there is susquhana state park, near hdg.
there is a boat ramp within a mile or so of the camp ground. but it is 11 bucks a pop.
you would have to trailer ur boat at this camp ground, no where to moore it.

skargo

Banned

If you are talking about Lapidum, I buy a state park passport for $75, it offers unlimited launches at Md state parks. I definite;y got my money's worth last year.

Not sure how big a boat you can launch there, I haven't seen many bigger than mine launched there.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Hey, Arks, isn't there a campsite over in HdG?

Bowman covered it- Susquehanna State Park. Don't know much about it but I did stop at Rock Run Mill once. Here's the link: http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/central/susquehanna.html
Might be worth a phone call or daytrip to check it out before hauling the trailer down, just be make sure...

The only other one I know of near HdG is Ramblewood (in Darlington) but they only cater to groups, not individuals.

How you gonna tow BOTH? With a flatbed towtruck?:D:D:D

Flatbedtow2.jpg

SuperNova

Lieutenant

I checked your link out; looks pretty good. Another option is the wife and kids can sleep in the camper and I can anchor the boat over in the Bohemia and sleep there. The camper can also stand alone if I can just find a place where it is legal to camp. I don't need a campground, necessarily.