Boating the Upper Chesapeake

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Boating the Upper Chesapeake

they had something more powerful at otter point. The water was shooting out of a pipe,kinda like how a dredge shoots it out.

skargo

Banned

I guess the method doesn't matter, as long as the water's moving fast enough, it's not freezing.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

it was moving so fast, it looked like the tide was comming in. i guess u still have tides when there is ice cover. i suppose the whole ice just raises up.

SuperNova

Lieutenant

i guess u still have tides when there is ice cover. i suppose the whole ice just raises up.
Yes you do, and yes it does. You should see what it can do to a piling if the ice is left to freeze around it and then the tide comes in.....it'll pull the piling right up outta the mud.

We were living on the Bohemia in the winter of '76-'77 (if you weren't around for it, look it up ...it's historic for several reasons) and we had to run 24 hours shifts with chainsaws and ice tong to keep the pilings clear. People who didn't ended up with roller-coasters for piers.:eek:

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

i have read a lot about that winter. They said the ice was 2 ft think, all the way down to the bay bridge. People were driving cars on the bay.

skargo

Banned

I lived on Galloway Creek, down near Middle River then, and people were driving on the ice that year!

And seeing ice at the Bay Bridge was something else!

skargo

Banned

Hey Rob,
I thought they were putting a new ramp in at Tydings in October?

arks

Lieutenant Commander

I talked with the marina manager 1 week before Xmas and he told me they were waiting for 3 permits to be approved 'but the work should only take a few weeks, so it'll be done by spring'.
Yeah, and the pier replacement program was 2 years.... (in reality it took 5)!

Don't hold your breath. :rolleyes:

skargo

Banned

I talked with the marina manager 1 week before Xmas and he told me they were waiting for 3 permits to be approved 'but the work should only take a few weeks, so it'll be done by spring'.
Yeah, and the pier replacement program was 2 years.... (in reality it took 5)!

Don't hold your breath. :rolleyes:
That's what I figured!

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

i was out on the gunpower thursday, going to fish around pooles island. Half-way down the river, near maxwell point, I came across a big patch of ice. I thought the whole river was frozen from there out, but i was able to go around it on the east side of the river.
the ice was only about an inch or a half inch thick. But it was maybe a few square miles in area.

I almost ran into it full throttle, it was hard to spot.

john3931

Petty Officer 1st Class

Anyone have a suggestions on Crab pots? What works or doesn't work for you?

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

i have the TRAPS with tops on them, and they are a pain to store, take up a lot of room on board, and are hard to get working right. got with the topless traps.
but POTS are a different thing all together. You let them sit for 24 hours before you check them, and you need a comercial liscense, or a pier on the water to use them.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

let me guess, your diesseldummy on u tube?

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Did you guys ever see this Martha Lewis crash at Tydings?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQBPvfehLNc

Yeah, I saw that clip a couple months ago. From what I heard, that was the second accident for the Martha Lewis in 2009. Apparently they were having problems keeping competent Captains.

FWIW, here's a pretty good online newspaper for the upper Bay area. I check it out from time to time to get the local news. Their forums are very interesting.
http://www.daggerpress.com/

skargo

Banned

Yeah, I saw that clip a couple months ago. From what I heard, that was the second accident for the Martha Lewis in 2009. Apparently they were having problems keeping competent Captains.

FWIW, here's a pretty good online newspaper for the upper Bay area. I check it out from time to time to get the local news. Their forums are very interesting.
http://www.daggerpress.com/

That's where I got the info from, I love the dagger, it's a great local online rag!

SuperNova

Lieutenant

Anyone have a suggestions on Crab pots? What works or doesn't work for you?
I'm with Bowman here....topless traps work well and are easy to store...no small consideration when you have 30 of 'em on board a 20 footer and run a trotline to boot.

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

you people suck....lol I think we saw like maybe 5 inches of snow this season